“Lovely Mexican In Singapore”
Review of Piedra Negra

Piedra Negra
Ranked #411 of 11,593 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kampong Glam
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a great place to start your evening with a couple of chilled beers and the guacamole (made in a stone bowl with fresh ingredients right in front of you) or anything else on the menu really. Apart from the amazing scenery of Arab Street (the outisde and inside of Piedra Negra included!), the staff is friendly and the food is great. Been back here so many times I lost count!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I went to Piedra Negra in Singapore for dinner in July 2013, and while not the most awesome Tex-Mex ever (a tall order when I have been to Texas & California), I did enjoy both the meal and the restaurant, and thought it was a pretty good rendition of Tex-Mex for Singapore.

Considering Singapore is far removed from Mexico & the south-western United States, the interior of the restaurant was quite well themed, and Singapore’s weather is conducive to eating Tex-Mex. Accordingly, I ordered some guacamole dip & corn chips, and beef taquitos, which were pretty good, and I ordered a Sol beer to accompany the meal. The waitress made the guacamole dip fresh at my table with a mortar & pestle, and it was subsequently fresh & delicious. All of this came to around $30sg, which I thought was reasonable given quality of the meal & restaurant.

I will admit that based on the map I was looking at online, it appeared to be on Ophir Rd, not Beach Rd, and subsequently, I thought it must have closed down. It was only when I walked around the corner to Beach Rd that I realized the map was wrong, and in fact it was located on the Beach Rd part of the intersection, which may be a trap for young players depending on what map you are going by. I had taken the MRT to Bugis station, and the restaurant was only two blocks away.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

A cute local
located on one of the narrow streets
a small terrace, but scenic with simple furniture
various drinks, served nice
friendly staff
a pleasant, fun atmosphere

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had diner at Piedra Negra and we were really impress by the taste of the food. My husband is mexicain so his expectations are high. We like the food, the atmosphere, the service, the musique and the price was correct compare to an other mexicain restaurant we been in Singapore 2 days later....

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I don't think i can say terrible enough times to be able convey how absolutely dismal this place is. Food is pathetic, service is ... What service!!, the management should be running the food line in a prison in central mexico. The senior staff are just bad people and it is evident in the way they treated us! please please please anyone who reads this review, save your money and go somewhere else!!

We went in a group of about 12-15 people and in general you would expect that the bad food would plague only a couple of people but there wasn't a single person happy after this meal.

The Good: There isn't any

The Bad: There isn't any either, since it is all ugly!!!!

The Ugly: There were some vegetarians in the group and so obviously we know what we ordered. One of the group arrived a bit later than anyone else and as soon as she arrives she ordered a Veggie burrito and lo and behold exactly 3mins later the waiter throws a burrito in front of her. Shocked at the speed of the service, we were very skpetical especially on the way we were treated earlier. And lo and behold we had every reason to be skeptical, as soon our firned bites into the burrito there are some not so succulent pieces of Beef!! Obviously annoyed, we called the waiter, intially thinking we would give him the benefit of the doubt as it could have been an honest mistake. So we tell the waiter there is beef and we ordered a veggie burrito, what does he do, he picks it up inspects and then throws it back on the table saying this is what you ordered eat it, this reaction obviously led to a huge altercation and the audacity of the unbelievably cheap management to even try to charge us for the burrito. The chicken i beleive was a mix of last weeks left overs and some quickly under cooked chicken to make up the quantity, as i Bit into it, the chicken tasted so stale and chewy and just tasted disgusting unfortunately i knew was not getting a refund and i was hungry so i took a second bite and this bite had pieces of under-cooked chicken. The nachos were probably the best thing on the table, but still nothing to write home about, so along with the nachos people usually give enough salsa to eat with the nachos, but these guys decide to give salsa in the size of a bowl which is probably just about enough for a single celled organism and when you ask them for more salsa so that you can cover another millimeter of the chip they charge you a few dollars for that. I cannot begin to tell you what a horrible place this is, please i beg you do not waste your money and your time, if you want really good mexican then go to Baja fresh.

The sangria tasted like slightly fizzy, watered down fruit punch gatorade. The beers were luke warm and when again we confronted the manager, he said "thats all we have deal with it". The bad attitude and bad service resonates straight from the owner and trickles down to his minions. We even confronted the owner and told him how the food, service , drinks, ambience, seating just about everything is terrible. He said he does not care. Well i guess that's why the number of terrible reviews are on the rise for this place.

This evening of ours was juts all in all a beyond terrible experience, we fought with them to get the Beef burrito taken off the bill. And even for that, to take an item of around 15 bucks to be taken off huge bill was such a big issue that even the police got involved ( i kid you not my friends!!), they called the police cause we said we are not going to pay for the beef burrito. A small victory at the end of the night for us that at least we didnt have to pay for the beef burrito but still just a very sour experience

1  Thank prashanth75