“Best place to get your caffeine kick on Sunday morning”
Review of Smitten Coffee and Tea Bar - CLOSED

Smitten Coffee and Tea Bar
Neighborhood: The Quays
Neighborhood: The Quays
“Best place to get your caffeine kick on Sunday morning”
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Had an excellent coffee again this weekend. I had the iced mocha, which was just the right mix of cocoa, coffee and milk and the rest had affogatos, with a serious scoop of ice cream! And our sons loved the chocolate cheesecake, which the oldest got for free from the nice girl behind the counter ;-)

Jakarta, Indonesia
“Perfect for a little break”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Sat for a couple hours in Smitten to blog and re-caffeinate. The staff was super friendly, and the snacks/coffee tided me over perfectly until my next meal.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank LeslieMV
“To die for cakes!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Have only been into smitten for some carry out cakes but have to say they are the best cakes I have ever had!
The Oreo cheesecake is baked perfectly and is so moreish and the strawberry shortcake is light, fresh and delicious!
Yum yum and well done!
Definitely recommended coffee stop!

1 Thank Kirk0301
Singapore
“A true gem of a find along the Singapore River”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I realized that I reviewed Toby's Estate and neglected to mention Smitten. I believe this to be subversion on the part of my subconscious. I believe that in a suppressed, primordial part of my brain, I want to horde Smitten for my own enjoyment. I don't want this hole in the wall, roasting, grinding and then distilling the truly divine nectar that is Thumper Espresso touched by other grubby hands, especially grubby tourist hands. But I realize with just a little regret that I'd be killing the very thing that I love.

And so this is catharsis of sorts...

Smitten is a neat chiffonier of a cafe set up by Darren and wife, an unassuming young couple for whom the love of tea and coffee have led them to quit their "day" jobs to take full time care of this newborn concern and to share their obvious passion for tea and coffee. Ok, you didn't read this review to hear me extemporize, you want to know what's good. Keep your pants on already...

I recommend: ristretto latte, Thumper espresso (also short shots, more a personal quirk then anything else...more about this later), affogato with Thumper espresso and hand made vanilla bean gelato. I'm not a tea drinker which does not mean that you shouldn't try the tea, which was very good the one time I visited with a tea drinker friend (yes, they are people too and need friends and socialization and positive reinforcement). Finally, I would recommend the cold drip coffee which is a fine art to produce, and Darren is a demon-distiller of this liquor reminiscent of a fine oaky bourbon. Ok about short shorts. I love 'em and the climate in Singapore is perfect for them, so what?! Honestly, ristretto doesn't mean a whole lot to most consumers and not very much more to most "baristas". Smitten is one of the few places where I can order a ristretto shot and get one.

Tuesday is bean care day and so they're closed. That's usually the day when Darren whispers sweet nothings to the beans while they're perfecting in the roaster.

Finally, a confession. I wrote the review of Toby's Estate to throw you off the scent of Smitten. If you drop by to find Darren and wife tolerantly watching me messily finish off an affogato, don't say Hi, just get your order and go...and yes, I hate you.

• Visited March 2012