“Great location, friendly staff, value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of V Hotel Lavender

V Hotel Lavender
Ranked #148 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
“Great location, friendly staff, value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed at the V Hotel twice now, both times as a couple.

One of the reasons this is such a popular hotel is the value for money, and location. It is on the cheaper end of hotels in Singapore, but built right on top of an MRT station (train station), which meant getting anywhere was a breeze.
It also has a food-court right underneath it, and if you venture across the road to the apartments on the other side, there is a good old fashioned food place there too- YUM.

The rooms are on the smaller end, and the bathrooms are quite small.
I would recommend upgrading to a larger size room if you are staying for a while.
But it's clean and the beds are comfortable.
We did get one with a city view.

I will note that when did have to change rooms, as our first one smelled of smoke.
The staff were prompt and easy to deal with on this matter.

There is a nice swimming pool in open air, which we enjoyed a few times.
When we went in the morning, it was not busy at all.

The staff there are all very friendly and were helpful.
I lost my mobile phone on the first night, and a girl at the restaurant dialed numbers from it until she managed to reach a family member who alerted me as to where it was. Thank you!!

The hotel is very big (approx 800 rooms), so be prepared for waiting times at the lifts, and the hotel lobby is usually crowded. When we switched rooms, we ended up asking for a lower level so that we didn't take so long in the lift to get there!

Overall, this is a comfortable place to base yourself if you really want to get out an explore Singapore, which really suited us. We were not looking for a 5 star resort. After looking around and staying in other places in Singapore, this is the one we would most likely return to, as it met all our needs and is great for the price. :)

Room Tip: Not too high, otherwise the lifts could take a while each time. Ask for one with a city view, so tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Location is great, being right at the Lavender MRT doorstep. Plenty of food options nearby too. Hotel caters mostly to groups though. Decent place to stay if you just need a place to crash - clean, but tiny rooms. Reception and housekeeping staff are generally friendly. Drivers, beware though - parking is NOT free for hotel guests.

• Stayed October 2012
Quezon City, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

It's a good thing we booked in this hotel for 1 night only because the air-conditioning unit in our room (525) didn't work. We weren't able to get a restful sleep due to the heat in our room. We called the attention of the maintenance crew doing some work in the room next to ours, about the aircon. He told us to wait for the temperature to dip but throughout the night the temperature did not change. Definitely not worth the money we paid for it. The comfort room is tiny. The room was basically okay but we caught a small cockroach creeping under the bed. Good location though

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed there 3 times. The last one was just a nightmare in terms of cleanliness.
under the bed there was garbage, above the tv the same.
The sheets were dirty.
The hotel is always very crowded and it takes a lot of time to go to the floors as the elevators are very sloe.
Always ask low floors otherwise you may take 15 minutes to go or coe to your room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank richeyint
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Decent hotel, clean and is in a good location. Unfortunately the bathroom is simply too small for you to move around it. Also, the front office staff are quite rude; they barely smile and is very strict when it comes to twin sharing room - you can only check in if the person that is registered first is with you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Frozk
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

accessible as the location is right above the train station. good hotel.. just great value for money. although the wifi sucks, you have to be in their lobby just to get signal. i hope they upgraded it now... still recommended for perfect budget hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vhundhun Y
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at the V Hotel Lavender for 5 nights (room 971) attending a tourism trade show in town. My feelings towards this hotel are not negative, but I left this hotel without any positive attachment or wishing to come back. I would go back, but it would not take much to convince me to go elsewhere.

It is an 888 rooms hotel just around the corner of MRT station Lavender. Coming into the lobby you would not think that it is such a big hotel. In my opinion the lobby is much too small for such a large number of rooms. Any time I walked through the lobby I had the feeling it is actually the MRT station. Tour groups came and left and the lobby was always busy, but not in a positive sense, it just felt like a big hotel with guests coming and going and even the staff which I observed throughout my stay hardly ever made me think that they were happy working there. The majority seemed very detached (of course there are always a few pleasant exceptions).

The room I had was tiny (from what I heard from colleagues, so are most of the others), not to mention the bathroom. This hotel was clearly build having in mind to put as many rooms as possible in there to make as much profit as possible. Guest comfort is not necessarily a priority. I completely agree with other reviewers of this hotel, do ask for a room facing outside, otherwise you end up like my colleague with a room facing a wall when you open the window !. Rooms are clean though and the bed was very comfortable and if it is just a clean room with decent decoration you are after, then go for it.

There is internet in the room which they charge at SGD 10 for 24 hours (starts counting when you first log in). There also have 4 internet stations in the lobby and they charge SGD 4 for half an hour. Since they charge I never faced a queue at those terminals and internet was very fast.

Breakfast in my opinion you can skip and get a much nicer one outside of the hotel. Quality is frankly very poor, but I think the outside setting of the breakfast area is pleasant. The pool is big and ok too. There are several lifts, but nevertheless due to the constant traffic in the building I always had to wait quite a long time to go up and down, but I guess there is nothing they can do about it.

The big plus for me was the location, you have lots of eateries around and the MRT is just around the corner and in about 10 minutes you are on Orchard road. Taxi from the airport cost about SGD 23, but you can also take the MRT from the airport and get off at Lavender MRT.

In my opinion this hotel is perfect for tour groups moving from one location to another and just stay for a couple of days, but it is certainly not a hotel which I would recommend for its atmosphere. For my business purpose it was ok.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room facing outside. If you do not want to spend ages waiting for the elevator, a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business