“Overpriced and under delivered” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaia Ristorante & Bar - CLOSED

Gaia Ristorante & Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Overpriced and under delivered”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I guess I had high expectations from Gaia as it has been recommended by a friend who lives in Singapore. I was looking for a special place for dinner and didn't mind paying the price however I do mind when the portion size is small and you could hardly see the sized they offered. Be Careful as they provide you with a bread basket and an pre entree dish which you end up paying for even though you didn't order it. The MD was nice enough and friendly.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank 0XLuisa0X

Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent service. Try too hard to serve food with a difference.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Being a fan of sister restaurant oso I was disappointed with gaia., I can understand why it's not thriving like oso.

Service is excellent but the food is hit and miss. Our starters were good but main courses were not. I think the chef tries to hard to deliver dishes with a difference with ingredients imported from Italy that actually work against the quality of the food.

Would not go back.Prefer Oso.

• Visited March 2014
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Italian fine dining with classic touch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is the 5th time I have visited Gaia but the 1st time with the new young chef from Florence . I was told he has modified the menu twice in the last 6 months in an attempt to strike balance between fine dining and exquisite taste. The starters are quite unique and full of flavor . The fondue was good but the fried egg yolk was simply divine.The mains are varied and quite delightful . Truffles tagliani , veal, pork - we enjoyed them all. Desserts were good - tiramisu is prepared differently, but the dark chocolate was supreme! Worth a visit if you like fine Italian cuisine and ambience . Service as always was excellent.

• Visited January 2014
Surabaya, Indonesia
“great food, great service and great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

the place is pretty and quiet.
the service is top notch.
the food are amazingly delicious.
even the restroom are jaw dropping....

Visited December 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Wonderful service, variable food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We were the first couple in the back Gaia dining room for dinner. We felt that service was friendly and attentive. The very interesting head waiter chatted with us at length, and the manager came by to ask how we found the dinner. Gaia provided complimentary potato and rice crisps with bread and bread sticks that were not remarkable, several amuse bouche and a complimentary sampler of desserts that were very good and very much appreciated. I ordered the special of the night, salmon, which I felt was between average and very good. I felt my wife’s slow-cooked pork belly was quite delicious. The tiramisu was like many others with a lot of mascarpone without alcohol or coffee flavor. We were pleased with the sweet wine on the menu, Moscato d'Asti. The atmosphere in the back room is romantic-intimate with many booths (we sat at a table). Compared with other restaurants in the Goodwood Park Hotel building, the price was expensive for what we got. We feel that you have to know what to order and what to avoid at Gaia, so it would fall into the "adventure" category rather than the "reliably excellent" category of fine dining places.

• Visited November 2013