“Do not shop at Mustafa Shopping Centre”
Review of Mustafa Centre

Mustafa Centre
Ranked #109 of 866 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: "Rarely seen without a bustling crowd of customers, Mustafa Centre is set in the Little India district. A cult favourite in the Singaporean shopping scene, it’s the best place to go if you’re after a bargain or enjoy shopping late into the twilight hours. Mustafa may not be as fancy as some of Singapore’s other malls, but it has a great range of items, and good prices to match. Here, you’ll get a bargain on just about everything, from clothes, perfume, souvenirs, electronics, makeup, confectionery and even food and groceries. "
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Me and my husband visited Singapore in March 08. I had earlier visited Singapore some 4-5 years back and I knew that Singapore is a shopping heaven. So I had Mustafa on my list.

We decided to buy Mobiles for us and we zeroed in on Mustafa after reading soooo many good reviews about it.We decided on the models and headed to Mustafa. I was actually surprised on how bad the place has turned out to be..lots of people were in the shop..the salesperson was unaware about the mobile features.We asked whether they will give us International Guarantee of these mobiles for which they refused. The place looked shady..But with good reviews on various forums we shirked all our doubts and went ahead and shopped the mobiles. All good..we returned home and started using the mobiles. My mobile worked fine for few days after which it hangs while I am talking..sometimes it refuses to ring even when I get calls..sometimes it refuses to make me ring a missed call..sometimes it simply blanks out!! The memory chip place holder is loose and so is the SIM holder place...My husbands mobile has similar problems.

So I would suggest that if someone is planning to shop in Mustafa its better you have good know how of the thing you are buying so that you dont feel cheated and if you dont have the know how then the best thing you can do is not to buy at all from there!

305  Thank uvenotseenme
Write a ReviewReviews (2,437)
All reviews
"mrt station"
in 18 reviews
in 132 reviews

Reviewed December 12, 2007

I had a bad experience at the Money Changer in Mustafa Centre. I was in the queue for about 15 minutes, and when it was my turn, they simply closed the counter and refused to serve me and the rest of the people in the queue. They did not even bother to explain or apologize. I just don't understand why did'nt they inform the people in the queue in advance that they were about to close.
Such is the kind of nonsense you can expect from Mustafa !

131  Thank PingPongMan
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Its a place where you can buy a range of goods at a competitive price. But its very crowded, one could hardly move about with their shopping. The system adopted for payment is highly inconvenient, having to go back and forth to cashiers and sales personnel. Most of the personnel are very rude and poorly trained which is the most degrading aspect to this place. It is worth shopping somewhere else and paying a bit more just for a better shopping experience.

94  Thank ravidaman
Reviewed August 23, 2007

One thing I like are the cheap prices of electronic gadgets;e.g. portable DVD players; celphones, etc., as compared to Funan Shopping mall or Chinatown! Prices are what is indicated in the tags so your don't have to haggle.

54  Thank Blurbeard
See more reviews
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Knowing we only buy something to use at home and clothes to wear at home, we were at Mustafa on a Saturday in April 2007. We came around 8:30am so we had space to walk.

From about 11am, the place was packed with people. The floor where foods, drinks, rice, fruits, candies, chocolates, canned products... were sold was extremely crowded by Indian people and others who look like Indian. Every Cashier Counter has at least 10 people waiting with full shopping trolley, so we went to another floor to pay.

Quantity: yes, a lot to look.

Quality: not so high. Many clothes were from Thailand (Pratunam or Bobey in Bangkok for example) so the prices here were higher.

A cashier was not happy when we bought something S$4 and gave her S$50. She talked about that with her colleague in her language. Being a tourist, after we changed US$ to S$, we often have S$50 notes. If I had known this, I would have paid in the end with everything I bought instead of one by one.

The whole place was air-conditioned so it was a plus. The guard let us brought in our bags but sealed them with plastic wraps and we had a bad time cutting them at home after shopping (bring your little scissors when traveling).

Talking about clothes and things to use at home, 3 of us found that Mustafa was not a place for us:

- If you say it is a big place to shop, sorry we don’t think it’s big.
- Nothing was called brand here if we want some good clothes or good underwear.
- Too crowded.
- Prices were not cheaper than in Chinatown Singapore, Bugis Night Market or another dress / clothes shop we found around Selegie area.
- Compared with Mustafa, Tekka Mall gave you space to walk and had lower prices, although not many things were sold in Tekka.
- In my opinion, Tanglin Mall near Traders Hotel is a better place to buy foods, fruits and drinks: less crowded, fresh products and nicer place.
- I think there was no food court in Mustafa so we had to look for somewhere to eat after shopping.

84  Thank land_premier