“Small and smelly”

Parc Sovereign Hotel - Albert St.
Ranked #169 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Although the hotel is listed as having four stars, it felt it should have one or two. The rooms were very small and the bathrooms were tiny with a shower that couldn't close to prevent water covering the floor of the bathroom. The breakfast was disappointing. Very little selection. I ended up having rice with baked beans and cold French toast. Wifi speed is good.

3  Thank MarcusKLAsia
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights, and if I was to describe this hotel in one word, it'd be 'small'.
I knew the rooms would be small but did not expect it to be 'claustrophobic' small. The room we had literally just fit the bed & bedside tables, image the gap space between the edge of that to the walls?! I should've invested more research on Singapore hotels, but after booking so many hotels & flights for various locations for our month of April holiday, I was over it...big mistake!
Ok, to be fair, in terms of price, it was cheaper, it was also clean, you get what you paid for & if it weren't for so many other places we had to go, I would've had more capacity to not factor in price & chose a better hotel. If all you want is a place to sleep & shower & would perfer an upgrade from a hostel option, then this is it, but I do reiterate the word 'small', to each their own, personally I'm not used to such a confined space, this is the 1st hotel I've stayed in where I felt it was like a cell & not a hotel.
The bathroom consists of a small vanity, toilet & the shower (there's no shower curtain or glass shower screen, so the whole bathroom got wet).
Wifi charge in the rooms or you can use their computers in the lobby (it's slow), you have to ask front desk for the code, sometimes they give you a ticket for 15, 30 or 60mins, ask them if you need longer. Did I mention internet connection was slow?!
Service was ok, not great, not good...just ok.
In summary, not impressed, I feel I would've enjoyed Singapore more if I'd chosen a better place to stay, Singapore is a lovely clean place, Sentosa was the highlight of our trip that made Singapore worthwhile to us. If you're on a budget, if you want a step up from a hostel, choose this place, for me, next time in Singapore, I will fork out more money to stay at a better hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MariaA1082
Reviewed April 26, 2013

we stayed in this hotel in march for 5 nights. the rooms are extremly small just enoght for 2 adults only. not even one child can fit in the bed. hotels swimming pool is big and nice. hotel staff was nice. internet chargable at 10sgd perday. breakfast at the hotel was not upto mark. almost daily same menu and few choices.the location is nice at albert court. 5 mins to bugis street, very close to little india. the hotel has travel desk and its plus point. we booked our daily tour and it was nice experince. there are nice food joints in albert court , live band in the evening. nice atmosphere

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank amarthale
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed 2 days only. Located in Bugis district.
The hotel is clean. But all i can say about this hotel is small; the room, the lobby, the pool, etc.
and for breakfast so..so...standard.
Not recommended for family trips.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here only for a couple of nights on a business trip. The rooms were very small and although billed as a 4 star it was sadly lacking. The build and decor were nice enough with a big TV(though not so many channels), but rooms were very small, wardrobe was cramped and no hanging rails for trousers, the bathroom is similarly cramped and with no door on the shower the whole room gets wet. Breakfast I took one look at and decided to go out for breakfast. Price of wifi access is prohibitory. I'd not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SIXOCLOCKTICKET
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had visited Singapore numerous times in the past and I kept searching for a good (value) hotel that had a good (room) maintenance with decent service whenever I had chance. This time, I believe I have found the one I was looking for during my recent stay in Parc Sovereign Hotel Singapore.

As I was on business travel, I used to travel around the city using MRT in Singapore and this time was no exception. To reach the hotel property, I decided to got off in Bugis MRT station : I was quite familiar with the area as I had been staying in few different hotels, within 1 km radius from Bugis Junction, in the past.

To reach the hotel, we can do few things if we are familiar with the area : Try to find a direction to a big hawker centre which is located a block away from Bugis Junction or walk towards Ibis Singapore Bencoolen Hotel. FYI, The big hawker centre is just across from OG Plaza which is a well known department store particularly for locals who live in this area. Or else, the easiest way to find the correct direction is by looking for Dorothy Perkin clothing store located inside Bugis Junction. Once we find the store, go and stand outside where we can find a very busy market just across from Bugis Junction.

Walk towards that market, keep walking for four blocks and we shall past hawker centre and Ibis Singapore Bencoolen Hotel in our left and OG Plaza in our right hand side. In the following block, we shall find Sim Lim Square in our right hand side but we need to keep walking, in the same direction, for two more blocks before reaching the hotel in our left hand side. We shall see the hotel from a close distance once you walk past La Salle College.

Check-in was efficient and quite prompt and the hotel fulfilled my request to have a room in a higher floor (10th floor). To my surprise, although the room was small (similar to Japanese size hotel's room), my room was a lot cleaner than I originally expected and everything was in good order during my stay. Bathroom area was also clean and everything was well maintain inside although I believe that this hotel was not a new hotel. Not to forget, air conditioner was perfect and cool : I badly need this one to fight with hot and humid Singapore's weather. Check-out was the same : I did check out early in the morning (4 am) and I did not see a sleepy face at all in a male receptionist who helped me in carrying all my luggage into taxi's trunk.

My whole stay (8 nights) was basically flawless and I would like to highlight the performance of most, if not all, staffs working in the reception/front desk area as they were definitely helpful and certainly knew what they were doing. I believe if they are able to upgrade different facilities and number of rooms in the near future, I would not be surprise to find this hotel could easily be upgraded to a higher level (4 or even a five stars) as they already had a well trained army of experienced staffs, almost the same level as the one we normally experience in a 4/5 stars hotel.

Moreover, the housekeeping staffs also did an excellent job in replenishing stock of tea/coffee every day. Yes, this is a basic (quite simple) hotel with a 2/3 stars' amenities but they do their job by maintaining the hotel properly. There is a LCD TV in the room, small fridge, good size bed for a solo traveler like me. For a business traveler, I live a simple (hotel) life : What I really need is a good/clean room, clean bathroom, cool air conditioner and good area located in the centre. The downside, however, is really minor : Pillow is too hard and we have to wait for few minutes for the hot water to run in the shower area

Without a doubt, I personally would rate this hotel, in general, has a lot to offer than Marrison Hotel Singapore which is located in the other side of Bugis Junction. In terms of value, location, cleanliness etc., I would definitely put this hotel property as one of my top (hotel) priorities to stay the next time I visit Singapore. In my personal opinion, this hotel is a lot better than some hotels nearby such as Ibis Bencoolen, Bencoolen Hotel, Strand Hotel or even Bayview Hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room in a higher floor, facing the pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Such small rooms, overlooking a construction site to build a new metro station. Construction work continues ALL NIGHT, could not sleep due to jackhammering from midnight to 5 am. Sheets had urine stains and hairs in them with the hardest beds ever, cigarette smoke permeating through the airconditioning vents - really disgusting. I asked for new sheets, and the ones they brought were even worse. Provided us with complimentary water that had already been opened and half finished! The hotel has the strongest fragrance throughout, which made us feel nauseous. The pool was nice though, although only 2 sun lounges for all the guests in total. We did get a very cheap rate of 95 AUD per night which is very cheap for Singapore, so if this suits your budget you may wish to stay, but beware of the issues mentioned above. Not recommended

Room Tip: Dont stay far from reception as noise from construction is worse
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family