“Not bad for a stopover”

Village Hotel Changi by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #84 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the Changi Village hotel to break up a long flight to Korea with a 2 yr old. We took part in the Singapore government tourist scheme which gives discounts if you stay at specific hotels. Took the bus from the SIA office to the hotel which took about 15-20 min. The hotel fascade and reception area was quite nice. The reception staff gave as a teddy bear for our daughter which was very kind of them. The standard room we booked already had the cot set up as we requested. It was reasonable size but had a slightly mouldy smell as other reviewers have said. The decor and furniture were quite old and the walls were dirty. The sink and tub were both slightly cracked. The rooms need to be renovated. However, everything functioned ok and we got a decent night's sleep.

The pool on the 8th(?) floor was reasonably large although we didn't get to use it. The gym was surprisingly well equipped compared to other hotels I've seen.

As mentioned by others, there's no need to eat at the hotel if you don't want to as the hawkers stores are a 5 min walk away and very cheap (and good).

Unfortunately the SIA didn't send a bus for us the next morning as they told us, and we were expected to catch the hotel shuttle bus to the airport, but luckily there were many taxis available and the trip only took just under 10 min and cost around $15 so it wasn't too bad (but I'm still annoyed with the SIA,).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank csw0101
Kent_Law, Manager at Village Hotel Changi by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear csw0101,

Greetings from Changi Village Hotel and thank you for the support.

Glad that you have an enjoyable stay with us and appreciate your commendations towards the hotel's vibrant location and its facilities especially our infinity pool and the Gym. As for our rooms, we are in progress of planning a room refurbishment with minimum inconvenience to our guests.

Feel free to contact me when you planning your next visit to Singapore and hope to welcome you with our brand new room.

kentlaw@farest.com.sg

Write a ReviewReviews (4,033)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is good for a stop-over when flying via Singapore. It is cheaper than the airport hotels. It is a half-hour free shuttle ride away from Changi airport. There is cheap tasty local food to be had within walking distance of the hotel but food is available in house too. The rooftop infinity pool is great for relaxation. Other decent hotels are miles away from Changi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com
2  Thank Rodney B

Dear Rodney B,

Greetings from Changi Village Hotel and glad that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Appreciate your commendations towards the hotel's vibrant location and its facilities especially our infinity pool as well as the complimentary airport shuttle service.

Hope to have you with us again and feel free to contact me when you planning your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is my first review of this hotel though I've stayed there at least once a year since about 7 years ago. This hotel is ideal for a staycation as there's plenty to do in and around Changi Village. The rooftop pool is also ideal for chilling out.

Hotel maintenance
Parts of the hotel are green with algae. Some of the facilities in my rooms (I booked 1x deluxe room and 1x junior suite) were not working, e.g lights and tap.

Service standard
Reasons why I won't be returning to this hotel.
(1) While checking-in, I've asked for 3 complimentary car passes as there were 5 of us and we have 3 cars. Miss Siti, the front desk officer, then whispered to her Malay colleague "tamak" (greedy in Malay), not knowing that my friend is Malay. My friend then questioned her in Malay but she denied making such a remark. Even her colleague beside her had a miraculous memory loss!
(2) I also had to move to another room as the twin beds that were promised became a king bed.
(3) Breakfast was not very enjoyable as the staff was overwhelmed by the crowd.

With the opening of Crowne Plaza at T3, Changi Village Hotel is no longer the nearest hotel to the airport. If the facilities are not well-maintained and staff well-trained, I foresee the hotel losing more customers like myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view on level 6 or 7.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndySee79
Kent_Law, Manager at Village Hotel Changi by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear AndySee79,

Thank your for sharing and our sincere apology for the poor stay experience.

Please be rest assured that necessary attention and actions have been taken to prevent reoccurence of such unpleasant incident.

Would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly in order for us to accord the necessary service recovery as well as giving me the opportunity to personally welcome and apologize to you.

Hope to receive your email soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my first time to Singapore, so didn't know what to expect from the hotels there. This place was a pleasant surprise and a great location if you are only in Singapore for a stopover for a couple of days due to it's close proximity to Changi International airport. There is a free bus shuttle that takes you to and from the airport which is very convenient for a first timer who has no idea of how taxi's and public transport work in a foreign country. The area (Changi Village) has enough to keep you entertained for the short period you might be there, but the more central part of the city is within relatively close and cheap reach by taxi. There are local food outlets (food hawker centres) as well as a Subway for those not quite ready to try the local cuisine (which is absolutely delicious as far as I'm concerned and well worth a try!!). The beach is within walking distance from the hotel, although I'd rather recommend the 8th floor pool of the hotel for a swim rather than the sea - much cleaner and amazing views of departing and arriving aircraft into Changi. The room we had was very clean and tidy and more than catered for our needs. The breakfast in the mornings offered just about everything from full English, American, Continental as well as local cuisine. If you like spicy fish, then I'd recommend the dish "Otak-Otak" - minced fish mixed with spices and cooked in banana leaves. If I was ever passing through Singapore again and had a couple days to spare - I'd definietely make use of this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vincent J

Dear Vincent J,

Greetings from Changi Village Hotel and thank you for the support.

Glad that you have an enjoyable stay with us and appreciate your commendations towards the hotel's vibrant location and its facilities especially our infinity pool.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My first visit to this hotel was pleasant. I was happy with the infinity pool and the room. The service was good too. However I was not so lucky the second time.

My wife and I were planning a hotel hopping trip. When we arrived at the hotel driveway, my vehicle was blocked by a taxi which parked itself in between 2 lanes. The driver ignored me even though I was waiting for almost a minute. The doorman did not attempt to divert the taxi to one side. I had to horn a few times before the taxi moved away for me to go to the carpark.

Upon checked in, there was no one to help us carry our luggage to the rooms. There was also no one at the lift lobby too.

When we reached our room, we were disappointed with how run-down the room was. The door view hole was so dirty that no one can see anything. The door ledge was faulty. I even cut my finger trying to ledge the door.

That was not the end. The glasses were dirty and the bedsheet was stained. We asked for some cutleries and new glasses over the helpdesk through the phone and were promised that they were delivered in a few minutes. We waited 30mins but nothing came. I called again and was then put on hold by the operator. After a few minutes, the phone hung up! We gave up and ask for a room change but were told it would be only on the lower floors!

Our room came with access to the lounge. The evening spread was pathetic. It seemed under-staffed as it took ages for them to clear our tables.

I wanted to show my wife the infinity pool on the top floor but found that the lights were all off. I called the front desk to understand why it was closed and was told that there was a short circuit by the front desk and we were told that it would not be fixed within the night. Surprisingly, I called to ask for the manager and then found out that someone had forgotten to turn on the light instead. Although the lights were fixed, we were disgusted by the amount of leaf litter in the pool. I wonder if anyone had scheduled a clean-up for it at all for weeks.

Fuming mad, I asked why the front desk lied about this. More lies and excuses but not real apology. It spoiled my holiday. I wanted to bring my wife to a quiet place to relax but we got agitated instead. The manager offered a free night stay but I swore not to come back ever again. This place is poorly managed and run down.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better and away from the bright neon lights that will keep you up all night. If you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JamesOngSg
Ramesh K, General Manager at Village Hotel Changi by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2017

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write this review. My sincere apologies on the areas that we have not met your expectation and we will definitely make the necessary changes.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity and we look forward to seeing you again,

With kind regards,

Ramesh Kanesan
rameshkanesan@fareast.com.sg

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I decided to stay at this hotel as on the website it said the hotel was only 10 mins from the airport. As I only had a night in Singapore and had an early morning flight back to London I thought it would be a good idea to stay here rather then in town (at the start of my trip I was staying at the wonderful Swissotel Stamford). Big mistake to stay at Changi as the hotel literally felt as if it was in the middle of nowhere! Plus the hotel is actually just over 20 minutes by car from the airport - might as well have stayed in town (when I was returning back to the hotel from the city even my taxi driver said the hotel was far from the airport!). By taxi It takes quite a bit of time to get into town and will cost you about $30, all quite a lot of effort when you are supposed to be in one of the most super efficient cities when it comes to ensuring ease of travel.

Unfortunately location wasn't only the downside for this hotel. I didn't think much of the service either which seemed rather slow and poor compared to the experience in other establishments. When I checked in at reception I found one of the staff members quite unfriendly, doesn't say much about their customer service. But the worst experience was when I ordered room service in the evening. They basically forget my order and after waiting over an hour and speaking to various people who seemed to want to just pass on my calls to someone else, I asked to speak to the duty manager who to be fair did try to manage the situation, but unfortunately the damage had already been done. All too much to go through really for just a plate of vegetarian fried noodles. So, I am afraid this hotel doesn't get my vote and I definitely won't be returning here again especially as there are so many other wonderful places to stay in Singapore.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Jayaratna

Dear Valued Guest,

With kind regards,

Ramesh Kanesan
rameshkanesan@fareast.com.sg

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Changi Village Airport hotel in Singapore has it all.
The hotel is very nice.
The airport shuttle makes half hour trips to the airport. It also makes two trips
to downtown.
The rooms are clean and roomy. The pool on the 8th floor is one of the nicest pools
I have seen in my extensive travels.
The restaurant (continental) on the 8th floor is excellent.
The staff is very helpful and friendly. If you want to do a good deed you can
feed the fish till 1800hrs daily on the 6th floor they do appreciate the food (from the
front desk) you can tell by their size.
The location is very good 10 Min from the airport terminals. The area around the hotel is very nice
with many food gardens some open 24hours. In addition there are many shops in the village
market place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dlivin0601

Dear ppppDesoto,

Thank you for the support and positive review.

Glad that you have an enjoyable stay with us and appreciate your commendations towards the hotel's vibrant location and its facilities especilly the infinity pool as well as our Koi feeding which we have just launched recently as part of our staycation experience.