“Probably the best restaurant in town”
Review of Restaurant Andre

Restaurant Andre
Ranked #14 of 11,196 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant ANDRE is an eponymous 30 seats restaurant in Singapore recently ranked #38 World’s Best Restaurant by Restaurant Magazine as well as Best Restaurant in Singapore. Taiwanese - born Chef Andre Chiang developed a culinary principle based on how our capacity to taste food is influenced by our memory banks, including the personal experiences we acquire over time. Octaphilosophy – Unique, Texture, Memory, Pure, Terroir, Salt, South and Artisan represent the eight elements reflecting his roots in south of France. Chef Andre believes only on the freshest of seasonal produce and collaborates with the best artisans in the world. Crafting celebrated creations combining Mediterranean accents and French techniques, Chef André draw inspiration from the myriad selection of products he uses to design his menu every day.
Reviewed November 24, 2013

From the moment you arrive you feel 110% pampered only only by the competent staff but also by Chef Andre and his wife - and the long serving Japanese sommelier. It is no doubt the most innovative restaurant in Singapore, and both the variety and the presentation of the food is world class; the portion size is also just right. We found some of the tables were too close to each other, but that's obviously a challenge when you are housed in an old charming town-house. We had an interesting talk with Chef Andre regarding the sourcing of his food ingredients.

This was the 2 time we had an excellent dinner here, and another good reason to support owner operated restaurants.

1  Thank PolarbearSingapore

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Came here for a lunch with some colleagues recently and took a semi private area for 8 of us for lunch. Friendly, welcoming staff look after you very well from the moment you arrive. Lovely room for lunch with a large and wide rectangular table, quite a minimalist setting but not so stark that it feels cold or uncomfortable.
The descriptions of food, the presentation and the taste was fantastic, one of the best lunches I have ever had, a really enjoyable experience.
Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Barney70
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husabmd invited me at Andre for our 8th anniversary and it was a terrible disapointment for both of us.
I'm allergic to fish and seafood, and knowing it was a fixed menu he wrote 2 months in advance and ask the chef if he could adapt the menu for me. In degustation menus there is often fish and this is even more the case in Asia. Some restaurants simply refuse to do an effort, and some really adapt the menu, sometimes with a total vegetarian version. would have understood if they had refused to do so, but they agreed and ensure him they would adapt the dishes.
They did adapt... by simply removing the fish from the dishes! Only one dish was really changed (chicken instead of fish), in the other they simply removed the fish and put me 2 salad leaves instead. For example the first starter had an assortment of 6 little bouchees of fishes or seafood, I had an asparagus salad with ham :-(. Another was a risotto with vegetables and fish, they did not bother to replace the fish by something else and I just had the vegetables (not even the risotto!)
And of course they charged full price for this! We told the chef about this at the end when he visited the tableand he did not even bother to apologize for this. He just left our table as if nothing has happened.
On other aspects, the room is extremely noisy (too bad for a restaurant where half of patrons must be couples looking for a romantic evening). The wines were all excellent, apart that we litterally had to beg the somelier to get our glasses (we choose a wine pairing) and the servings were really small. Same here, despite knowing I'd have a different menu, he didn't bother to adapt the wines to my dishes and jsut serve me the same than for the fishy menu.
So yes the dishes I tried were excellent, and yes there were some wonderful surprises in the mouth.
But with this poor level of service and not caring at all for its patrons, Andre does not deserve its ranking and reputation and is absolutely overpriced.
I can not recommend it to anybody and felt being completely cheated for the price.

10  Thank dinacecca
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would like to pin-point why I like this place:

1) Amazing wines chosen by a Japanese sommelier. (we had wine paring with the course.)

2) They adjusted their dishes based on my requests (vegetarian) on the spot and they were beautiful.

3) Very good, professional & friendly service.

and I'd love to go back to André again!

I highly recommend this place during your stay in Singapore, IF YOU CAN AFFORD...

Reviewed November 8, 2013

An amazing experience. This Taiwanese chef is fabulous and full of well presented and good mixture of "gout". In France, he would be classified as one of the best.
We cant wait to go back. Thank you chef