“A great option when in Singapore”

The Green Kiwi Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #41 of 230 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“A great option when in Singapore”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Cant really fault this place. From the friendly and super helpful staff, to the clean rooms and comfy roof garden, its all good. The free breakfast is a bonus too - and tasty, not like to stale bread and 3 week old butter with crystallized jam in that you get at most other breakfast included hostels! Beds are comfy, lockers are good and the free wifi is a bonus too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed at mixed room, our bed was lovely and comfortable.The room was large with nice dorms, furnished with air-conditioning, nice fan. Breakfast was simple but lovely and tasty. Staffs were charming and welcoming us from arrival until check out. The location was excellent while took some minutes for great places: restaurants and bars around. Staffs could show the places to go.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I'd like to start off by saying the Green Kiwi staff was extremely friendly and helpful. One lady, Nesti (spelling?) was always cheerful and smiling - much nicer than many of the indifferent 20-something's behind the counter at many of the Aussie hostels we visited.
The Kiwi was our first Southeast Asia hostel, and we arrived after spending 3 weeks in New Zealand, so perhaps we were a little spoiled. In any event, after reading all the glowing TripAdvisor reviews, we were a bit disappointed in the Kiwi facility. For $85, we got a tiny private room with enough space for an extremely creaky bunkbed and no other furniture. There are seven other rooms. The bathroom, containing 3 toilets and 4 showers, is shared between all male and female guests. The showers are nice, but the toilets always seemed to have a small puddle of urine in front of each one (is that normal in a men's bathroom? Ladies: If you can help it, avoid shared bathrooms. They're not fun). I'm not sure the mess was the hostel's fault because there was often a woman in there mopping. I just think there were some rude, careless guests who didn't clean up after themselves.
The rooftop porch is pretty rundown-looking with weeds and usually rubbish from the night before. Every morning, the kitchen counter where guests eat was crawling with ants that would then crawl on us.
The hostel's location just outside Little India means it's about a 15-minute walk to any metro station. It's not ideal, but it's definitely do-able. The building is located at a busy intersection, but the traffic noise wasn't bad and it didn't bother us on the second storey.

Perks: Free breakfast (coffee, fruit and an assortment of yummy spreads - try the green kaya!), free Internet and reduced rates on some attractions (including the zoo.) The air conditioning in our room was heavenly. I would not recommend booking a room without air conditioning in Singapore. After sightseeing all day, you're going to come back all sweaty and want to take a shower and feel clean again.

• Stayed January 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I spent 4 nights at The Green Kiwi with Singapore being the first stop on my 3mth backpacking trip. This was my 2nd visit to the city, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where I stayed 7yrs ago not the hostel nor the area, so after checking out Tripadvisor reviews I booked in here.

The hostel is well located for anyone arriving or departing from Changi as it is a 10min walk from Lavender MRT station which connects on the East West (green) line to the airport. A new station is currently being built closer to the hostel, which will save on walking time. There is a food hawker centre across the street which serves all the usual Singapore cuisine. As a solo female, I didn't feel too safe walking back from the MRT station at night, so tried to avoid where possible. The hostel is situated on a busy crossroad, but once inside, I could not hear any traffic at all.

I arrived at the hostel at 9am after a 12hr flight. I hadn't slept and was very grateful that my bed was ready. My female dorm had 8 beds in and there was a high turnover of occupants. Everyone seemed friendly enough though.

The bathroom facilities were fine, apart from that it was always so hot in there. Air conditioning should really be improved as I found that as soon as I had dried from the shower, I was sweating again, not nice.

I can't write this review without mentioning the wifi, which was free and by a mile the fastest connection I had during my whole trip. Great for uploading photos, I was definitely spoilt here!

A simple breakfast of tea or coffee, toast and assorted spreads was provided. This was fine for me as I often didn't feel like eating much that early and in the heat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Wales
Reviewed January 4, 2013

10 minutes walk to/from Lavender station. Great location, food court across the street does fab food for really cheap. We only needed to stay at the green kiwi for one night due to flights but would have loved to stay there longer. The dorm rooms were clean and cosy and the communal area with computers was a great way to sit and chat with people. Bathroom was clean. If I come back to Singapore I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gemma S
Philippines
Reviewed December 30, 2012

First time that our family went backpacking and the staff made it easy as they guided us, from our needs to where and how to go around Singapore. They were very warm and mindful of our well being. I'm looking forward to stay here on our next trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Me and a friend of mine stayed at the Green Kiwi for 5 days in December... We had an amazing and comfortable stay there. Nesty and Anne were very helpful, Nesty even remembered how I liked my toast from the second day on! The beds were very comfortable and bathrooms clean. Their WiFi and computers are always switched on which was very convenient for us. It's situated right in the middle of the city, so transport by bus or MRT really was no problem for at all. They also have an epic rooftop garden lounge where you can just chill, at any part of the day or right through the night. We really had fun there and we would recommend it to anyone who needs a place to stay. Oh and they're incredibly cheap for how much they offer. It's worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends