“Excellent stay”

Ranked #98 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
penang
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed in this excellent hotel for 3 nights.
Firstly, the reception staff were pleasant. My colleague and I took a midnight flight to Spore so ended up checking in at about 1am...but the staff who greeted us was still friendly. We asked for directions for the next morning and he obliged us by checking up the internet straight away.
Second, I think this hotel is value for money. It's not a very expensive hotel by Spore standard so I was expecting average standards but surprisingly found this place to very good. The hotel is new (so new that our taxi driver wasn't sure where it was), very clean, beds were good, hotel is quiet and the breakfast spread was very good (for hotel this category). In terms of room space, all I can say is that in Spore, I've paid more and stayed in tinier room than this hotel. Plus, they provide free wifi!
Third, I think the location of this place is fairly good. It's well connected by bus and novena station is not too far away.
One thing to improve (from a practical point of view) is that the toilet should have more hooks so that you can hang your towels and clothes. The rail underneath the sink is not a great idea as it's just beside the toilet bowl plus it's too narrow to hang the towel.
Besides this small issue, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Spore!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank virtualtourist79
GuestServices_GM1, Manager at ibis Singapore Novena, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Singapore Novena.It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback so enable us to improve further.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement and a great motivation to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are grateful for your support and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ibis Singapore Novena.

Sincerely

The Guest Services Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is my second 3 week stay here so that has to be a positive comment in itself.

Let's get the obvious out there straight away...the rooms are not big. If you have more than one suitcase it will be a minor case of space management (but easily done), otherwise it is more than adequate. There is somewhere to open a suitcase, plenty of room to walk around the bed, I didn't feel cramped at all; but, compared to some other hotels the rooms are small. The fridge is woeful, I didn't know you could get them this small and the worst thing is that it turns off with the rest of the power when you leave your room. Don't try to fit a 600ml bottle in, anything bigger than 500ml won't go. All is not lost, however, it will hold 6 cans of Tiger.

I travel a lot for work so four things are essential to make me happy with a hotel....a good bed, clean room and bathroom, close to transport and shops and quiet rooms.
This place gets ticks in all four boxes.

The bed was as good as any other I have slept on. (The only thing that would have made it better was if my wife was there too....awwwww)

The room itself was spotless and so was the bathroom and they have been kept that way all of the time I have been here.

The room is very quiet. It is on a major 6 lane road yet I can barely hear a thing and other than one night with an inconsiderate family in the rooms across the hall I haven't heard much at all from the guests either side or above. I think it is the quietest hotel I have ever stayed in.

As for transport, it all depends on what you expect and how you want to travel and I used taxis, the train, various bus routes and walked. So here's the deal...
- Don't expect to drag your luggage from the train to the hotel....you will not be happy when you get here. Firstly the footpaths around here are not conducive to it, secondly it is gently uphill via Thompson Rd and worse via Irrawaddy Rd. Thirdly, this is Singapore, man, it's hot and humid every day of the year, pulling your luggage behind you is a mistake no matter where you are going.
Get a taxi. From the airport expect to pay SGD25 to SGD27. If you came on the train there are two taxi stands outside the shopping centre where the exit from the underground station appears.
- After you have dropped your luggage in your room you will find walking around the area not so bad. I have two offices I attend. One is in Tao Payoh and I would do the 20 minute walk each way most days and enjoyed it. The other was a lot further away and I could either catch the train or bus for the 45 minute trip. I would always get a seat on the bus so that was my choice. But the train was easy too. It's about a 5-7 minute walk to Novena station (not dragging luggage). You could also catch a bus to the station if the hill is a problem (and I think the hotel has a shuttle but I never used it so I don't know where it goes).
- Buses, I found getting around pretty easy...especially if you have access to the internet (there are a couple of internet terminals in the lobby if you don't have a laptop with you).
The hotel is on the corner of Ballestier Rd and Irrawaddy Rd. Ballestier Rd is a major six lane road and there are a number of bus routes that use it. 5 minutes away is Thompson Rd, another major road. When you do your searching try both roads. Use Google maps or streetdirectory.com and search for where you want to go. Click on the bus stop icon on the map and use the "To here" boxes to tell what bus route to get....check both ways, though, as they may not be the same. E.g. to Raffles Quay take a 131 to get there but take a 130 to get back.
(By the way, you have to go to the satay club which sets up at night outside the Lau Pa Sat food market at Raffles Quay! Best satay sticks anywhere...but I digress...)
What I don't know is what the deal is with cash on the buses, I purchased an EzLink card which I used on buses and trains, but I did see some people use cash on the bus.
- Train (MRT). Easy to use, trains are ridiculously frequent. Get a brochure from the station to show you the train routes and interchanges.
- Taxi. On a fine day, during the day, you can easily flag down a taxi on Ballestier Rd, or the front desk will call one for you. If it is raining, I don't care where you are in Singapore, getting a taxi is hard work.

Food - everywhere. Local food stalls within a couple of minutes walk in any direction. Other non-local food (Maccas etc) are around too. There is a Caltex Starmart across the road and a couple of 7-Elevens close by. Not to forget the restaurant downstairs, the food is nice and some of the world's nicest waiters and waitresses work there.

Internet - LAN and wireless access available in the room. Sometimes excellent, sometimes hopelessly slow.

Hotel Staff - second to none!

This won't be the hotel for everyone. If you in Singapore for a stopover then stay in the city. But for more than a few days I think it's excellent. You get to enjoy the suburban atmosphere, it is still only a few stops from Orchard Rd, not far from Little India and easy to get to anywhere else. For clothes shopping and especially shoes, Novena Square and the sports shoe store on Ballestier Rd are excellent as well as Tao Payoh which is close by.

What stops me rating it a 5? 1.The fridge, 2. a radio in the room would be nice and 3. a couple more non-news or sports channels on the TV would make it excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank buggsy62
GuestServices_GM1, Manager at ibis Singapore Novena, responded to this review, April 29, 2012

Sincerely

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was very disappointed with Hotel Ibis novena. i took the mrt from the aiport to novena station and was told in the website to follow the signs to go to the hotel from the mrt. there were no signs, the hotel was not in the map, nobody in novena mall knew where the hotel was, there was no sign in the pick up area of novena 2 and cab drivers didnt want to take me to the hotel because they also didnt know where it was and yet it was at irrawady st. i had to walk from novena to the hotel in the middle of the day. second, while i arrived at 1230pm i was told i could only check in at 2pm even if there was an available room with 2 twin beds. only then when i complained that they were able to do something about it. third i booked a free shuttle from the hotel to novena square, what was given to me was a cab so i had to pay S$6.00. this hotel is not friendly and location is very bad. it wouldnt be so bad if the shuttle was always available but we had to contend with a limited service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank volcats
GuestServices_GM1, Manager at ibis Singapore Novena, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the constructive feedback and positive comments and we really appreciate that you share with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to your recent stay here.

At Ibis, we take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction. Unfortunately , we did not meet your expectaions in some area. we will address this issue with the team and make improvement.

Kindly contact me at www.H7451-fo@accor.com, I would like to keep in touch with you for more detail on lapse our service delivery.

Warm Regards

The Guest Services Team

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels