“Good location but not ideal”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #5 of 79 Singapore B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location but not ideal”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I chose this place initially, based on the location and room photos. Since it was my first time in Singapore, and solo at that, I wanted somewhere that was relatively easy to locate and close to the major attractions, and wouldn't break my bank balance. Location and access-wise the hotel is easy to spot and just a few minutes walk to Chinatown station. That said, there are a lot of hotels situation around this area that I would look into availability before checking in here. Like others have said, the rooms are very small, even for one person it felt suffocating. But what put me off the most was the service I received from the few hotel staff I interacted with, as I felt they always seemed bored and did not go out of their way to be hospitable. I was not expecting five star style service but for this price I expected to be treated a bit better than the bare minimum.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed July 26, 2013

If you're into some authentic Middle-Earth experiences then this hotel could be just the one for you! The standard room features sufficient space for a dwarf, but probably not your luggage. Everything is painted black or deep blue so you get to stare around in the darkness, even during the daytime. Piped funeral march music would complement the ambience nicely. And of course having windows are out of the question. Also, you can stare right through the transparent "door" into the bathroom so you can watch your girlfriend take a dump. How lovely!

Room Tip: Outside on the street would be suitable for human beings...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DrMikePike

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Reviewed July 24, 2013

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT STAY at this HOTEL: You only have to read the 'poor' and 'terrible' reviews to understand why...... I have read them all and having been to PORCELAIN I can TELL YOU ALMOST 100% ARE TRUE.

People who have experienced porcelain share a bond with eachother; it is like the bond you share with someone when you have been stuck in an elevator for 12 hours together.

If after doing your research and listening to us, you decide to stay there you only HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Thomas_hopkins
Irvine, California
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is clean, modern and everything was in working order.
However, I would choose not to stay there next time. The room is way too small. Nice for a ship bunk, but its really not a hotel, and I did not enjoy my stay there.
Do you remember the studies they did years ago about rats in small spaces? They go crazy confined to small spaces. Well, there's a good reason for that, and I might suggest some jail cell are larger and less confining!
My room ambience was also really dark, dark colors, dark lighting and all. The desk the room had for work was a joke. Basically, a 4X2. Obviously, this did not contribute in any shape of form, a place to stay...longer than for sleeping. I'd also say that even though I like value, its pricey for what you get. If you spend a few more bucks, the Ibis Bencoolen will be much more comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have now stayed at this hotel 4 times and find a good level of consistency, clean, and helpful, friendly staff. This has proved to be a good location for searching out good food. The hotel can book many tourist attractions at favourable prices, no need to go looking for a tour operator. One of the lifts broke one evening by next morning working !!
If you travel by car you have to park on the road but you can buy coupons at Cheers so we never had an problems.
They have a great system for you to upgrade at low cost but depends on room availability. The rooms are quite small so always enquire if upgrades are available.

Room Tip: Rooms are small so try and book a room 1 step above what you would normally do and/or ask about ugra...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have never left a comment before on tripadvisor. So please take what I say to be the truth, otherwise I wouldn’t bother to write this. In general, as long as a hotel is clean and safe, I have no complaint with it.I had read reviews before on tripadvisor about how small and claustrophobic, but I figured it couldn’t have been that bad.

It was.

The bedroom was 7 feet by 7 feet wide. The bed takes up half the room, the miniscule bathroom takes up the rest. It is dark blue, with a darker color in the bathroom. At first I was like, whatever, I can handle thing. Later,I woke up in a cold sweat feeling claustrophobic and I had to leave the room in the middle of the night.

When I requested to change my room, a staff member told me that night that I could change my room the next day, but the only one available (which was much bigger) would cost me $60 extra per night, for a total of $300. The room was so tiny that I was just ready to say yes.
The next morning I talked to the morning staff and they seemed more knowledgeable. I was able to upgrade my room to a double with a window for $20 plus taxes per night. So, about $100 for the next four nights.

Maybe the staff member was confused about what was available for the next week. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but I would have been upset if I had spent $300 just to upgrade my room.

Also, this is a total ripoff about how they do this. As soon as you get into the elevator, there is an offer to upgrade your room (one upgrade is $10 plus taxes per night). So, obviously most people feel uncomfortable in the small rooms.

If you decide to upgrade to your room, please check it first!

A small single room is 7-9 feet wide and double is 8 feet -12 feet wide. So it is entirely possible that your upgrade is the same sized room!! These are the ones you get on agoda, that obviously need an upgrade.

The rooms are so dark, and so is the lighting. I couldn’t even see properly in the mirror to do my hair or makeup.

When you enter the lobby, the elevator is located right near the front. The employees’ desk is way at the back. They did not acknowledge me or make eye contact with me, which made me feel concerned that they did not watch who was going in and out of the building. It was so dark and they were so far away maybe they can’t even see people entering the building. As well, the walls were painted a really dark color, making the hallways seem really sketchy and unsafe. I felt uncomfortable walking alone to my room.

Oh, and they charge you $150 for a ‘security deposit’ which they gave back when you leave the hotel. What a pain. If they already have your VISA number, why should you give them a security deposit?

There is a open vent in the window rooms at the front that can’t be closed. This might be a problem for you if you go to bed before midnight, as people can be loud.Also: garbage pickup. The garbage pickup was at 5am one day and 2:10AM the next day! And it goes on for 10-15 minutes. I mean, the hotel can’t help that but why do they have open vents on the windows?
However---It is a perfect location, right in Chinatown. It is a three minute walk at night. It is a very safe area, great to be there. So, if all you care about is location this is a good place for you.

I had a taxi driver recommend to me next time to stay in a private double room with a private bathroom at a hostel in the same area. Wink hostel right across street and beary good on next street if you like the location.

I think the hotel could be great if they changed some of the paint colors and decor, first of all. And made things a little bit more fair with the room size. It is obviously designed to trap you in, and then after you’ve spent hundreds of dollars that you will just ‘upgrade’ and not leave the hotel.

I would love to hear some comments from the management regarding some of these issues. I haven’t heard much from them on here.

Room Tip: Do not get a single room. It is not worth the savings. Do not get a room on the front side of the b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank chloe C
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a really nice hotel and a quiet place in a buzzing city. The location is great. I love the smell of the hotel when you enter the lobby. I can still remember it. The rooms a good ask for a room with a window. Last time when I stayed the shower started smelling terribly so they moved us to a better room, it happened again and again...and at the end we ended up in the amazing two foor suite with a tub..the suite is bigger then my appartement. The staff is great...I really have no complaints. There is no breakfast but that is not a problem as there are restaurants all around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple