“Simply the Best !!”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 83 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I checked in for 4 nights on 26th Feb '13. The Hotel is in one of the best locations in Singapore, 2 mins walk to MRT, 2 mins walk to Chinatown point (go to the basement and find NTUC market (fair price) to buy eatables and 2 in 1 ready to make coffee), in the heart of China town, walking distance from Lao Pa Sat, Maxwell food court, and a safe place to walk around even at mid-night, you can't expect more.

The room size at first you would feel is too small but you will still be able to settle down and find all the things beautifully arranged to make maximum use of the space. Tip: Ensure you have a window room. The staff is courteous and helpful, though I found 1 staff member a bit firm each time I called to ask for something. Kinda made me feel as if she didn't like our stay there, I may be wrong.

Just go for this Hotel if you want to have amazing stay in Singapore. BTW, the hotel does not have a kitchen so if you are morning coffee person; go to NTUC market and make sure you buy that coffee, the hotel does provide an electronic kettle and coffee sachets that are not enough for a day.

Room Tip: Ask for a window room and try n negotiate for early check in. I was not charged for early check-in
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jagpreet S

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Positive:
. New, nice asian decor, appeals well to westerners,
. Location : u cant beat this - just next to Chinatown. The street outside just oozes with charm, souvenirs, al fresco dining and drinking
.Night life : a short walk/ taxi/ MRT away from Clarke Quay : a happening bar place - great night life there
. Room size : decent, clean for sleeping. Cozy is the word.
. Supermarket : the Fair price mart nearby is well stocked with fresh fruits at decent prices.
. Eateries : U r spoilt for choice
. MRT: the hotel is totally accessible by MRT, from the airport or to any part of Singapore. Well connected to the lines.

Negative:
. If u r a light and sleeper, then the night life outside may be a bother. The garbage trucks comes at early hours. The dragging of chairs/ tables at 2am can be an issue
. The room is a bit dark to me, as there is only a small window in the room. Can be clausterphobic and lack of natural light.

Still, the location and the connectivity will make me come back.

Room Tip: Choose room, not facing the road to avoid the road noise, but u will sacrifice the Chinatown sight...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for four nights. It is located right in the centre of Chinatown where you are a stone throw away from the wonderful night and food markets the area is known for.
The staff were very helpful and the room, while small and had no window was always clean and perfect size for me. If you are not travelling solo I would advise looking for somewhere bigger.
I would recommend the place, but again size and a lack of a window would be an issue.
There is a spa at the hotel, but no pool or fitness centre
There are tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge in the room as well

Room Tip: Request a room with a window and book the larger room if within budget
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while on a business trip.

- Location - best part of the hotel for me! Just one street away from Pagoda Street where all the shops (mostly souvenir ones) and restaurants are located. (Grab a glass of Singapore Sling at the Singapore Heritage Centre while you're there!). Mosque Street, where the hotel is located is nice and quiet - you don't get all the noise you probably would on Pagoda St.
Another great thing is that the hotel is near the Chinatown MRT station (located on Pagoda St). Literally a quick stroll around the corner to the hotel.

- Rooms - room sizes seem to vary. Best to check in advance (online perhaps) on what kind of room you are getting. Generally, the rooms are relatively small. I stayed in a deluxe room (with all white walls), which had just enough space for me to walk around. Close to no room for hanging clothes - be ready to be very creative with this (e.g. using TV, window knobs, drawers for hanging clothes)! Plus points to the designers though for maximizing some of the space - e.g. 'secret' cabinets where you'll find the hairdryer and electric water kettle. Some of the rooms have all-black walls which makes a big difference - it'll feel 3 times smaller (I think some of the superior rooms have all-black walls).

- Cleanliness: Pretty good, clean overall. But not spotless. Spotted a few minor stains on the bar stool, and one of the bath towels.

- Amenities/facilities: Pretty good in general. All the usual things a regular hotel would typically have were available - towels, slippers, electric kettle, hair dryer, iron, coffee and tea, toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, tissue. There is also a small spa just near the lobby of the hotel.

- Service -Okay but not much effort on being friendly/customer-service savvy - I remember being welcomed at the hotel with a ''Can I have you passport, please?" But they get the job done. Got everything I needed during my stay.

- Ambiance - The hotel seemed to be going for an East-meets-West contemporary feel. Worked out well in some ways only. Some of the areas of the hotel just ended up looking pitch black all over (including the lobby). Didn't bother me too much though. Just made the place feel more gloomy than 'zen' at times.

In a nutshell, this boutique hotel is great for short stays and for those who would be out and about most of the time. Excellent location (shops and restaurants and MRT just a quick stroll away). Ideal for solo travelers, or couples. Not ideal for families (with kids), business travelers staying for more than 4-5 days or maybe even senior travelers because the size and design of most rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LGR_1118
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We paid for three nights, but only stayed two. We had a "deluxe" room, but in order for us to walk by each other, one of us had to stand on the bed. The location is fabulous, but the size of the rooms was not great. If you are a backpacker, it's a good bet, but for a middle-aged couple, not so much. We ended up moving to a larger hotel on the last night and forfeited our last night's prepaid fee, as we could not get around the room given our luggage/ages. Too bad: in our 20s, this would have been fine.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room possible!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BellRocker
Reviewed February 17, 2013

and thats about the best you are going to hear from me about the hotel. I say not too far from downtown but I don't mind walking and it is about 20-25 minutes from Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay. My room had no windows and was probably, with the bathroom included, maybe 6 feet by 12 feet. It was definitely the most interesting place I have ever stayed and would no probably go back unless I seriously upgraded the room. There was no separate shower and was in between the toilet and the sink which were maybe 3 feet from each other which caused a problem because when I took a shower, everything got wet including the toilet paper. In hindsight, I would probably remove the toilet paper before showering. Luckily I didn't hadn't planned on, nor did I, spend much time in the room. It was sufficient for sleeping and getting in from the rain (though I couldn't tell when it stopped since there was no window.) The room was also painted either black or dark blue, I can't remember which, which also made it feel more confining.
The staff did seem pretty nice, however, though I only had minimal interraction with them.

Room Tip: Upgrade and make sure that your room has a window
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Amerikki
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Very close to Chinatown is the bonus, lower priced than many other hotels and nicely organized and clean. for me the room are not small it's fit for me.Room are really comfortable not noisy Value for money and polite staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo