“Nice hotel, nice location”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 82 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This was a great hotel for the price. It is a small room, but I was aware this was going to be the case and as I only really sleep in a hotel it was find for me. The staff were friendly and the room clean. Bed was comfortable and bathroom functional and satisfactory. Great location to China town and also MRT and walked down to the riverfront for dinner was nice. Would go back and stay again especially for the price and location but you need to be aware that this is not a 5 star hotel and room size - but neither is the price.

Room Tip: Purchased room on Agoda for special price
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 17, 2011

The rooms are very small, but have a modern design. The price is ok if you compare to other hotels in Singapore, and the locations is great if you like the Chinese quarters. It's also very close to the subway station.

Breakfast isn't included, but you can go and buy one in the Chinese quarters very cheap.

There are some disturbances in the rooms. They are tiny, there are no windows. The aircondition drips water into the floor drain in the bathroom, and that makes an annoying dripping sound when you are going to sleep. (A tip is to place a tower over the floor drain, that reduces the sound)

The staff at the hotel were very friendly to me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2011

So I chose this hotel because of a special deal on Agoda - I thought: "hm, interesting a boutique hotel with such a location at a reasonable price..." well I should have thought there would be a catch...

1. Room categories - there are four I believe - I chose the starting level - well for that quality whatever deal you get anywhere (140SGD/night) is a rip off. Maybe higher categories are better but I could question that...
They have both single and double rooms both of which are ridiculously small allowing about 0.5sqm for you to turn around between the bed (surrounded by walls) and the bathroom (which has a constantly dripping pipes which do not let you sleep at night).
2. There are no windows in the rooms which make them even more claustrophobic (beyond their ridiculously small size)
3. The rooms are colored black and dark blue which is possible to hide any lack of proper cleaning by staff which makes them even more depressing
4. Cleanliness is more than questionable and because of the colors you get the feeling it's definitely bad. The rooms smell dampness (the hotel only opened in January!) and apart form aircon there is no other way of ventilation which scares me (what if the aircon is not cleaned properly – what am I breathing? I cannot open a window because there is none…)
5. Talking about aircon – it is directed exactly at your bed and since the room is so small you actually have it blowing onto you from one meter away (because the room is so tiny!), unfortunately you cannot turn it off, because there is no window…
6. Staff can be scarry – the receptionist who greeted me when I arrived late at night actually behaved like if he really only wanted to work at a ghost hotel so guests were not in his plans

Overall a very depressing experience there that I wouldn’t recommend to a jolly tourist wanting to stay at a boutique hotel, no matter what the deal is…

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ewa_Pinkowska
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed there for just one night and it was enough. The hotel is new, clean and with a trendy decor, nevertheless the rooms are very small, many of them don't even have windows. While I know that this is a common issue in Singapore, next time I would prefer to find some other accommodation, because with two people and luggage it was nearly impossible to move around the room. Conveniently located in Chinatown. No complimentary breakfast but free wifi.Good for a short stay with no luggage.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We started off with a eye catchy lobby and a bad service checking in and got complimentary free upgrade. Room were small but decent enough if it's were a 3 stars hotel.

Was slight overjoy seeing there's a rainshower but disappointed as it's not working. They could have paint the room in bright colors rather than blue, bed was okay during our stay.

I must say this is rather a higher end "budget hotel" considering the price they're asking aren't budget enough. Would I come back? Maybe, with better rates.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Cal_TheHotelLover
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed in Porcelain Hotel on early July 11 (superior twin room). A lot of noisy from the building next to hotel. If you choose this hotel, please prepare a tumbler or cup for cleaning teeth. Because they only have tea cup provided. And they only provide hangers, they dont have cabinet inside the room. But location is okay, near Chinatown MRT. If you travel alone, you can choose this hotel. If you travel with family, suggest not to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ypcathy
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed here for one week as we recently moved to Singapore and were looking for accommodation- so we picked this hotel purely for the location. 2 mins walk to Chinatown MRT is a winner when the weather is so humind!

Our first problem was that we could just about get into our room! Our suitcases were big- but not oversized! And we're small people- so all week we were having to jump over our suitcases, as there simply was no floor space! Though there is room under the bed to place your luggage, it's so much effort to have to drag it out everytime you need something!

First night, the bed was pretty comfortable and I would say we had a good sleep, until the fire alarm went off at 6am and continued to do so for 10 minutes... Then you had announcements going off for the next 20 minutes saying it was a false alarm! It was seriously annoying! Then at 8.30, there was hammering from next door! It literally sounded like someone was banging a nail into your head- it was so close! Then the drilling started at 9am! And it will go on for most of the afternoon. Basically, next door have building works.... And by the looks of things, they have just started- so the noise will be there for some time to come! We tried to change rooms , but it was fully booked! By the third day, we managed to move rooms because it was simply unbearable! But opposite the hotel seems to be a bar that suddenly has thumping music from midnight onwards!!!

If you want a good nights sleep- Porcelain is not the place to go!!!

• Stayed: June 2011