“Backpacker Hostel in Disguise” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Porcelain Hotel

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #5 of 77 Singapore B&B and Inns
hong kong
“Backpacker Hostel in Disguise”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

In order to make a reservation at this pricey hotel, one has to pre-pay through a website. Upon checking in, I was issued an 8 sq m room -- yes, you read correctly -- eight square meters. This room had NO WINDOWS, very poor ventilation -- and this was for US$120+ per night! The 3-4 sq m queen size bed occupied half the room, while the other half was occupied by the bathroom, ill-designed with the shower head directly above the toilet bowl soaking the toilet paper holder upon showering. There was no closet or luggage rack -- only two lonely hangars hanging on a wall hook -- and a tiny bedside table covered with glasses, tea kettle, etc. Having paid in advance, I was forced to endure six sleepless nights due to substandard wall and door construction, which allowed noise from the corridor to be easily heard throughout the night.

While the hotel boasts a no-smoking policy, my cramped room was constantly filled with cigarette smoke smell from the nearby hotel outdoor terrace which does allow smoking -- the smoke somehow gets sucked into the hotel. While smoke detectors and two exit stairs are provided at each floor, I cannot imagine how this hotel procured an operating license without an automatic sprinkler system and broom-closet sized guestrooms with no windows (from the fire evacuation plaque, windowless guestrooms comprise around 20% of the total rooms).

A backpacker inn a few doors down offered private rooms for around US$50. / night, which I am sure would have delivered a better experience. The only redeeming quality of this hotel is possibly the location (and even that's debatable), color-coordinated interior finishes, and the presence of a "Spa" (i.e. foot massage parlor; similarly overpriced) at the ground floor. This hotel felt like a smoky KTV lounge with very poor lighting in which beds had been installed. The space beneath the bed (the ONLY place for storing luggage) had various mismatched socks from previous guests lurking in the dark corners. Not surprisingly, housekeeping services stop at 17:00.

This has got to be one of the poorest values for money I've ever run across in Asia ... PLEASE don't waste your money and don't be fooled by the slick website. This hotel should be priced commensurate for what it is: a backpacker hostel.

Room Tip: Give this hotel a miss!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank bumbling_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

We've stayed in many many hotels but this hotel certainly has the smallest room we have ever seen. We picked this hotel because of its location and price (under A$120) - however, if we had to stay longer, we would go insane. You literally walked straight onto the bed which was exceptionally high (to accommodate luggage under the bed as you have no other space in the room). However, you need to be fit to be able to climb up. We were lucky as the plumbers came saying there was a water leakage and they upgraded us to a "deluxe room" which was slightly bigger so at least we could put our 2 pieces of small luggage down.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank myreview122010

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

We were staying in this hotel for 2 nights and I don't think we will be going back based on what we have experienced. It is how the things go..... We were arranged to a very "special" non-smoking room which constantly can smell cigarette smoke in the room. When we attended to the reception, we realize that the smoking zone is outside our room(The smoke could have come from the small window in the room which not be able to close it) .
The receptionist was quite ignorant on this matter and just passed us a bottle of refresher to spray the room and he said it is all he can do to handle this. Sometime "a" bad apple could eventually spoil the customer perception on the hotel. Given all these, I would say I won't recommend anyone to stay in this hotel even though it is accessible to city. Please think twice before proceed on your booking
**P/S : When you check in to the hotel, you will be requested to sign an agreement on non-smoking room policy and a fine of SGD150 will be imposed if they found you smoke in the room... I was thinking what if it is in vice versa like for my case.... :)

1 Thank thinktankec
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

First of all to be fair I will say the good points of the hotel. It is half a block from Chinatown MRT and the Pagoda Street market is just the next street over which is great fun at night. I also loved their oriental logo, it was very cool and everywhere, the massive mural of it on the end of the building was pretty amazing!

But unfortunately, I just can not give this hotel a good review. By no means is it a rubbish hotel or revolting or anything, its quite pretty and new, the main part of the review basically comes down to the size of the room. They are just impossibly tiny.

At the time of booking the superior room had a better deal than a standard room so we took that, and requested a window. If this was the superior room, I have to ask, superior to what???!!!!

THE ROOM IS TINY!!! I had read the reviews and knew I was in for a small room and also that we would be out all day. But even the small amount of time we were in the room was not as small as the room itself!!

We had a queen bed that had walls on 3 sides. The window on one side of the bed was also tiny, and there was actually an inside window and and outside window to it. The inside window opened about 2 inches before it hit the bed and it was a struggle for me to even get my hand and a little camera out to take a photo of what our view WOULD have been if the window was bigger.

The bathroom has dark glass surrounding it, perhaps to give the illusion of the room being a little bigger than it is, but close couple or not, I don't want to be able to blatantly see my partner on the toilet while I lie in bed just 2 feet away. The glass wall separating the bathroom from the bed could be frosted, no reason why not.

There is nowhere to put your bags, you WILL be living out of your suitcase and if it is bigger than a medium sized suitcase, you will be tripping over it, wherever you try to stash it. There are two minature drawers in the minature bedside table but this barely held my underwear. There are two hooks over the bench with a couple of hangers on each, but if you put anything on the bench, your clothes aren't hanging straight, and forget it if it is anything longer than a short shirt, it will be touching the bench too.

The fridge is fitting with the room, pretty much only big enough for 3 bottles of water.

The airconditioning struggled a bit, we had it set at 16 but I think the room felt more like about 22 most of the time. They only gave us one keycard and you needed to slot it for the power to work, so when we took it out for the day the airconditioning went off. We asked for a second key to leave it in permanently because it is just too hard to come home to a hot room when the temperature outside was so searing. So we left the second key in the slot and got relief when we returned to our room for a few days but one day, no idea why, we came home to condensation on everything, the bathroom walls and glass, the mirror, and everything, carpet, bedclothes, our clothes that weren't tucked away in the suitcase, were all damp.

I was really disappointed and surprised that they don't offer a hospitality room for a shower before your late flight, I have never stayed in a hotel, not even a basic one, without one of these before, but luckily there are showers available for a fee at Changi airport.

There is no pool, and I won't stay at a hotel again in such a hot climate without a pool, but I did know the hotel didn't have one before we stayed, just didn't know I would struggle so much with the relentless heat.

The rooms aren't exactly dirty, but the bed never really got made perfectly, I don't imagine it is easy to make being surrounded on three sides but still. And the rooms seemed rather dusty, with the downlights in the black bathroom and the dark blue room, you were basically looking at spotlights full of dustbunnies. Each surface had a coating of dust. Pretty obvious when every surface was black.

I am 5'7", average height, but I had to bend my knees to look in the mirror and the overhead downlight made using the mirror impossible, you were looking at shadows on your face or in the dark, so for females who want to do hair and makeup, forget it. Take a hand held mirror. And at this height also, lying on my stomach meant my feet were flat up against the wall at the end of the bed, taller people would not be able to stretch out.

Its such a shame, this hotel has such potential, but quite frankly, they need to halve the amount of rooms and make each room twice the size. They are just too small, and unless you are a solo traveller with very little luggage, they are uncomfortably and suffocatingly small.

Singapore on a whole is an amazing city. We had 8 days and it was perfect for that time as we are thorough travellers. The heat is ALMOST bearable, just not quite!! But the mix of the old and the new and all the cultures, makes it one fascinating city that I don't think gets enough credit and people don't use as a holiday destination nearly enough. And of course, it being so clean is wonderful. It is not sterile, it is just CLEAN. And the MRT? Wonderful, every city, especially Melbourne, should take a leaf out of their book, it is flawless and so easy to use!!!

Room Tip: Get a superior room and make sure it has a window.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Summergirl77
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

This hotel is truely a nightmare to stay.I had travelled all over the world and had never
encountered such a nightmare.The room is so small and there is no window.You literally open the door with the bed in front.I have to put my luggage on the bed before I could enter the room.It is impossible to have two peoples to stay in the room.I can only describe the room as a under the staircase storage room.I am honestly surprised that the singapore government can actually allow such a hotel operator to operate in such a condition purely from a health and safety point of view.I had stayed in other smaller hotels in singapore at a much competitive price.I can only honestly say porcelain hotel is the worst I have ever seem.Please stay well clear of this hotel and is not even worth paying S$50 per night,never mind what they are asking of S$150 plus per night

Room Tip: must insist for a room with window
2 Thank Gardens168
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

1) The standard hotel room is so small that when we went in we got a shock. It's as small as a cruise cabin, where the bed is just next to the bathroom. There's no space to put your luggage on the floor, we have to slot it under the bed and it's so troublesome to take things out from the luggage. The walkway between the bed and bathroom is so narrow just enough to fit the size of a 1.7m person. Extremely terrible.

2) The design of the room is very lousy, there's not even a wardrobe for u to hang your clothes. The carpet next to the bathroom and bed is always wet after bathe and do not dry easily as there's no floor mat. No shower curtains in the bath to separate the bath area and toilet. The air-con in the room is faulty, the remote controller sensor is spoilt so we can only change the temperature by calling the guest services operator. At night, the aircon is very warm despite us requesting for the temperature to be 18 degrees. Room is very dimly lighted, very low quality amenities and furniture maybe to maximize profits. The cable channels reception is erratic. There's not even a proper extra chair or table to eat in the room, everything have to be done on bed.

3) The house keeping service is not well done, we found a shirt lying below our bed when we checked in. Room cleanliness is below average, there's a bad smell of the sheets and towels. House keeping on the second day was also not well done, only changed the sheets, replenish the stuffs in toilet. No cleaning or packing.

4) Requested for an extension of check out time which every other hotels we stayed at had nicely arranged for us, except this one. Not even an hour extension.

5) the walls and door of the hotel is thin, can hear everything that's happening in the corridor and when someone knock or bang their doors or press the door bell.

Utterly disappointed and disgusted with the stay in porcelain. It's not even a "boutique 4 stars" hotel (which they claimed) to start with. I felt cheated of the SGD$320+ I spent in the hotel, where we were cheated by the photographs and exteriors of hotel. It's not value for money at all!  The hotel owners are just out to cheat money, with no customers' welfare or business ethnics at heart. With this kind of service and price they charged, the hotel will never go far and there won't be repeated customer visits. Making the travelers so angry, it's a disgrace for our country. Even the Japanese hotels we stayed at do a better job in utilising their limited space than them. If we stay at the hotel 81 just opposite the hotel, I'm sure it will be more value for money and more SPACIOUS.

Do not donate your money to porcelain hotel!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank May2g
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

The location is good, just steps from Chinatown and MRT, but you'll want to spend your time not in the room because it is so small.

Many rooms don't have windows.

There were little bugs all over the place.

Our shower didn't have a curtain so the whole washroom got soaked.

The day staff were nice but the night staff were awful.

I found the value to be low and would suggest looking elsewhere.

Free wifi was nice...