“Almost excellent”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Description: Salt grill & Sky bar by celebrity chef-restaurateur Luke Mangan presents a refreshed look with an added exclusive dining area on the 56th floor for diners seeking utmost privacy as well as a brand new bar on the mezzanine floor. The kitchen of the all-day restaurant is helmed by recently-appointed Chef Mathew Leighton, the youngest Executive Chef in the group. Serving modern Australian cuisine and New World Wines, diners can enjoy stunning views of Singapore amidst a modern-chic setting coupled with unparalleled service.
“Almost excellent”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Previous reviews have clearly described the location of the restaurant. For a high level view of Singapore it really is stunning.

We had a pretty good evening (wife's birthday). All the staff were fantastic and dealt with the minor issues during the course of the evening well which is a real positive.

I'd initially opted for a WOW package where you pay an extra $90++ or so and receive a couple of drinks, a window table, a rose, a photo and a birthday cake (along with a 10% discount voucher I think for subsequent visits). Unfortunately there wasn't a gluten free cake option (it was a birthday meal for my wife who is allergic to wheat and gluten) so it didn't seem right to have a birthday cake presented to her that she couldn't eat.

No big drama as it would have been pretty exceptional if they did offer a gluten free alternative. To be honest I only half expected it as we recently spent a week in Sydney and were very pleased to find that many places offer gluten free alternatives (to bread, pizzas, dessets etc).

Saying that they rustled up some gluten free bread for my wife which was great. Thank you.

Anyhow not a big thing so we opted for a regular booking. We arrived early and parked using the valet parking at ION (car park was pretty full). NB we were advised that we had to pick up our car by 10.30pm by the valet parking. Something to think about if you intend to drive there.

So we sat at the bar, ordered a couple of drinks and took in the views. The wrong drink came out for me which was acknowledged and replaced with the one I ordered. They left the 'wrong' drink for us to have on the house which was nice.

Our table was soon ready and so we were led to our table and the staff kindly offered to bring our drinks over to us.

Mine arrived after a while. You know that feeling when you check into a hotel and wait for someone to bring your small suitcase up to you. Which you could have taken yourself quite easily but good hospitality means it has to be brought to you.

Anyway my wife's hadn't come after some time. So we asked for it to be brought over (I think it may have been poured out - a 90% full gin and tonic might have looked like water perhaps).

We gave our orders, asked for some water and my wife ordered wine for the meal.

The gin and tonic came (a different gin) so back it went (unfortunately my wife wasn't keen on the 'wrong gin').

We ordered the scallops and the crab omelette to start. Scallops were excellent and although the crab omelette (with miso dressing I think) was executed perfectly, it wasn't something I would personally order again. Like I said really well made but it was an omelette.

The gin and tonic arrived but a little late for my wife as she was into wine / meal now. Never mind.

Main courses were very good - barramundi (consumed a lot on our recent trip to Sydney) was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Steak was excellent.

Truffle oil fries were good (perhaps too much oil). The side order of pear, rocket, walnut and blue cheese was fine but the rocket was just too peppery for me (bitter side for my palate).

No room left for dessert (not many gluten free options - my wife is the one with the sweet tooth).

But a scoop of sorbet with a candle in it came out which was a nice gesture. Thank you.

So all in all a pretty good dining experience.

We also had a bit of fun with the sommelier as they have an option tin the wine list o choose a mystery wine (by the glass) and if you can tell the variety of grape or the country / region the glass is complementary. My wife got one right! Something light hearted but enjoyable.

1 Thank ofoww
Alasdair F, General Manager at Salt grill & Sky bar, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Thanks for your feedback, it was genuine and well thought out, much appreciated. I'm sorry about the issue with the gin it sounds dumb. We are working on improving the design of our bar to ensure that drinks can get to the dining room faster in the future.

You're right about the gluten free cake option, it's a good idea and we'll work on adding this to our offering. We can organise cakes for larger groups as well as within the WOW Package (which is designed for a romantic night for two). The reception team are always happy to organise these upon request. Details of our WOW Package are on our website, and it comprises a guaranteed window seat, a cocktail each on arrival, the cake (enough for two to share and leftovers to take home), a photo, a small piece of Luke's branded product, and a VIP discount card for 10% on all future visits.

For the record, four out of the eight desserts on our a la carte menu are gluten free.

Thanks again for your kind words it's good to hear you enjoyed yourselves, and the 'little touches'. And just as importantly, we appreciate the feedback. We'll hope to welcome you back soon.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Well worth it”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Even if you aren't celebrating a special occasion, your first SALT Grill experience will be an occasion. They have a large desk on the 4th floor of the Ion where your name is checked against the reservation list, and then you are shown into a dark room where your eyes make out the button of an elevator after they adjust to the dark. The dedicated elevator is only slightly lighter, and it takes you up to the 55th floor where you feel grateful to be once again in the light and the magnificent view of Singapore.

We had a table for two at lunch on an overcast day, but we could see beyond Mt. Faber and Sentosa Island. We enjoyed every dish that we ordered: glazed figs with walnuts and capsicum appetizer; grilled barramundi, and truffle mash, a creamy mashed potato that had a lot of truffle oil in it. We would have liked the skin on the barramundi a bit softer, but aside from that, everything, from the reserved table to the service, to the food, was perfect.

They have a good selection of wines, including wines by the glass. We also had a glass of Trinity voigner dessert wine that was delightfully sweet. The bill was expensive, of course, considering the venue and the added benefit of walking around the observation area after lunch, looking at familiar landmarks in Singapore. We have enjoyed Luke Mangan's specialty dishes in Australia and at the tapas restaurant in Raffles City. The view from the top of the Ion Orchard was just an added plus.

“Otherwise Perfect”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Chose this place to be the celebration point for a birthday and went about making reservations and some planning.

Joanne (hope I got the name right) from Concierge was a real joy to work with and she has been a really great help.

Stepping past the level 4 Concierge, we are led into a dark area which was the private lift lobby. The ride up to level 55 of ION Orchard was silent, dim and the lift had quite a beautiful interface. Stepping out onto the restaurant, the reception brought us to our table. Having got the Wow Package, we had a nice window seat which offered a splendid view of the city. Watching the city is a different feeling from watching the view of the CBD or the areas around the waters of SG.

Unfortunately, I am not able to appreciate the food as what I ordered differed from my expectations, and if you were used to having your salmon fully cooked, you might wish to mention that when you order their fish. However, I am sure that there were others on the menu that could have pleasured my taste buds if I had chosen my food correctly.

Everything went well until the surprise part. If you're having a surprise here, do go through every details with them prior. The birthday cake was brought out early, much to MY surprise and the gift, stored at the reception and supposedly handed over to me, was not brought over. WIth the cake spoiling everything, and me having to ask for the gift, the whole surprise was a letdown, with only the view to make up the evening. The idea of offering two glasses of champagne was not wise and lacked of sincerity, especially when we were already having a bottle and two cocktails pending.

Never one to write off an otherwise perfect place, I would gladly return for a quick dinner or perhaps just for drinks when I need a wonderful view of the city.

• Visited September 2013
Ania_Juszkiewicz, Manager at Salt grill & Sky bar, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
May I just start by thanking you for dining with us.

It is great to hear that you and your guest enjoyed our food and service, and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again.

Unfortunately, we did disappoint you when it came to the "surprise gift" which you took time to organize for the special night.
The communication between our staff failed, which affected you greatly.
The person who served you on the night itself and our reception team did not get the timing right and as you mentioned we served the cake and the gift one after the other and not together as you have wanted it to.

We thank you for your feedback and please be assured that, I had a debrief with the staff on the night itself, about the situation. We have all learn from it, and will work towards not making the same mistake again.

I do understand that it was an important night for you and your guest, and I do hope we did not spoil the night for the both of you.

As for the Salmon ( your main course ), it is very unfortunate that our waiter did not highlight to you that it would be served "pink". We have taken note of this and have started informing all our guest on the doneness of our fish.

We take pride in providing good food and service, so I would like to apologize for not being able to give you the best that we could have done.

If you ever decide on dining with us again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With Warmest Regards
Ania Juszkiewicz
Restaurant Manager
Barford, United Kingdom
“Great view to share drinks with......”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We decided to have a drink here to see what the view was like from the top of ION. We were not disappointed. Although the drinks are expensive, to sit at the top of this amazing building was very relaxing and enjoyable. Don't think I would eat there, as to get a seat near the window is never guaranteed. And I found the large open space not very intimate.

• Visited April 2013
Gold Coast,Australia
“Great food, great view”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The menu is different to many in Singapore, encompassing both Asian and Western food at each course. The views of Singapore are absolutely stunning, the service wonderful and the decor pleasant and modern. The entrance, once out the lift, is a little off-putting as its very dimly lit and dark stone...once I felt my way in it was fabulous but I'm unsure what hiding the entrance was supposed to do to the prospective customers! Everything else was as good as it gets which is reflected in the prices ( Western style!).