“Otherwise Perfect”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Description: Salt grill & Sky bar by celebrity chef-restaurateur Luke Mangan presents a refreshed look with an added exclusive dining area on the 56th floor for diners seeking utmost privacy as well as a brand new bar on the mezzanine floor. The kitchen of the all-day restaurant is helmed by recently-appointed Chef Mathew Leighton, the youngest Executive Chef in the group. Serving modern Australian cuisine and New World Wines, diners can enjoy stunning views of Singapore amidst a modern-chic setting coupled with unparalleled service.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Chose this place to be the celebration point for a birthday and went about making reservations and some planning.

Joanne (hope I got the name right) from Concierge was a real joy to work with and she has been a really great help.

Stepping past the level 4 Concierge, we are led into a dark area which was the private lift lobby. The ride up to level 55 of ION Orchard was silent, dim and the lift had quite a beautiful interface. Stepping out onto the restaurant, the reception brought us to our table. Having got the Wow Package, we had a nice window seat which offered a splendid view of the city. Watching the city is a different feeling from watching the view of the CBD or the areas around the waters of SG.

Unfortunately, I am not able to appreciate the food as what I ordered differed from my expectations, and if you were used to having your salmon fully cooked, you might wish to mention that when you order their fish. However, I am sure that there were others on the menu that could have pleasured my taste buds if I had chosen my food correctly.

Everything went well until the surprise part. If you're having a surprise here, do go through every details with them prior. The birthday cake was brought out early, much to MY surprise and the gift, stored at the reception and supposedly handed over to me, was not brought over. WIth the cake spoiling everything, and me having to ask for the gift, the whole surprise was a letdown, with only the view to make up the evening. The idea of offering two glasses of champagne was not wise and lacked of sincerity, especially when we were already having a bottle and two cocktails pending.

Never one to write off an otherwise perfect place, I would gladly return for a quick dinner or perhaps just for drinks when I need a wonderful view of the city.

Ania_Juszkiewicz, Manager at Salt grill & Sky bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

May I just start by thanking you for dining with us.

It is great to hear that you and your guest enjoyed our food and service, and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again.

Unfortunately, we did disappoint you when it came to the "surprise gift" which you took time to organize for the special night.
The communication between our staff failed, which affected you greatly.
The person who served you on the night itself and our reception team did not get the timing right and as you mentioned we served the cake and the gift one after the other and not together as you have wanted it to.

We thank you for your feedback and please be assured that, I had a debrief with the staff on the night itself, about the situation. We have all learn from it, and will work towards not making the same mistake again.

I do understand that it was an important night for you and your guest, and I do hope we did not spoil the night for the both of you.

As for the Salmon ( your main course ), it is very unfortunate that our waiter did not highlight to you that it would be served "pink". We have taken note of this and have started informing all our guest on the doneness of our fish.

We take pride in providing good food and service, so I would like to apologize for not being able to give you the best that we could have done.

If you ever decide on dining with us again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With Warmest Regards
Ania Juszkiewicz
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We decided to have a drink here to see what the view was like from the top of ION. We were not disappointed. Although the drinks are expensive, to sit at the top of this amazing building was very relaxing and enjoyable. Don't think I would eat there, as to get a seat near the window is never guaranteed. And I found the large open space not very intimate.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The menu is different to many in Singapore, encompassing both Asian and Western food at each course. The views of Singapore are absolutely stunning, the service wonderful and the decor pleasant and modern. The entrance, once out the lift, is a little off-putting as its very dimly lit and dark stone...once I felt my way in it was fabulous but I'm unsure what hiding the entrance was supposed to do to the prospective customers! Everything else was as good as it gets which is reflected in the prices ( Western style!).

Reviewed October 4, 2013

When we were checked in by the receptionist and were led to the private lifts, we anticipated good ambience, good food, good service. However when the lifts door opened at the 55 floor, planks of wood and construction workers greeted our eyes. Apparently there are some renovation works. We walked past unsightly scenes of 4 or 5 staff chatting as we reach the entrance and was led to our table. Ambience was slightly rescued by the view which was great. You can even walk up a slight ramp to the bar counters at another level and have a go with a free binoculars station along the way.

However destruction of our opinion continued with a sour face waiter who waited on us. We requested for another and was served by a great waitress who was attentive.
Service was fast enough, maybe due to the fact that if you go earlier the restaurant has not filled up yet.

Food was ok but we were slightly disappointed as it did not meet our expectations. We thought we saw a guest in slippers and shorts when we thought the dress code was smart casual? hmm.

Come here if you want a great view and are not fussy about the service, food or the price of the food.

Alasdair F, General Manager at Salt grill & Sky bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thanks for your comments, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your overall experience.

On Friday there was a large function in ION Sky which is the space on the other side at the top of the building. The event finished late afternoon and their bump out took a long time due to them using the lifts that are not reserved for restaurant guests. Indeed it was unattractive and ION did their best to ensure it happend as quickly as possible to minimise the inconvenience to other guests, I'm sorry that you arrived when this was happening.

Indeed our dress code for the restaurant is smart casual. For Sky bar we try to welcome all guests and the dress code is not strictly adhered to. Personally speaking I would rather not have a dress code at all as they never please everybody. Don't have one, you'll upset someone. Have one and don't enforce it, you'll upset someone. Have one and do enforce it, you'll upset someone. I would rather that all guests feel equally welcome and I do wish that all guests would share the same sense of occasion when choosing what they wear when coming for a Salt grill experience.

I'm sorry that you found the food didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate any feedback when it is constructive and if you would like to contact me direct to provide more specific comment I'd love to hear it.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the service. I have checked with the rest of the management team that were working on Friday night and none of them remember a guest requesting to have a different waiter. We pride ourselves on our food and our service and I'm sorry you felt we did not meet your expectations. Again if you'd like to contact me direct so I can address your issue with the team member I'll be happy to follow up.

Thanks again.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Went it with high expectations and wasn't disappointed. Great location with views. Service was very professional and a step up from general Singapore standards. All our dishes were very enjoyable. Will be back bit not too often as it's pricey .