“Fantastic views, great location, super food, slightly slow service”

Salt grill & Sky bar
Ranked #145 of 11,867 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Description: Salt grill & Sky bar by celebrity chef-restaurateur Luke Mangan presents a refreshed look with an added exclusive dining area on the 56th floor for diners seeking utmost privacy as well as a brand new bar on the mezzanine floor. The kitchen of the all-day restaurant is helmed by recently-appointed Chef Mathew Leighton, the youngest Executive Chef in the group. Serving modern Australian cuisine and New World Wines, diners can enjoy stunning views of Singapore amidst a modern-chic setting coupled with unparalleled service.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Salt is at the top of the Orchard Ion building. The bar has a great view but is a little bit small, and is a little understaffed, so if you are in a bigger group it can take a while to get the drinks brought over. However, there is a good choice on offer. The food in the rstaurant is very good. Steaks and fish make up the majority of the main courses, and there is quite an interesting choice of tapas or starters. The service is not rushed so if you are prepared for a sociable leisurely meal this would work for you. I have eaten there on a few occasions, either as a couple or as a group of 8 friends and family and it works for both. Great setting and view, food very good, would recommend. Mind yiu at midnight and after a glass of wine or two it can be a challenge figuring out how to get out of the shopping mall!!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

For full review and pictures: www.GrumblingStomachs.wordpress.com

After ordering, we were given a slammer to tease our appetite a little. It was interesting, quite sour but still interesting. First up were my appetizers! There were scallops, which was typical of any other restaurants. Their salted cod croquettes were outstanding. Served with homemade lemon mayo and tartar, the presentation was lovely and I finished them too fast!

My main, grilled salmon, was extremely disappointing mostly because the cod tasted so good and I thought food here was going to impress me. The last time I had good salmon was probably at Morton’s Steakhouse. From what I remember, it was crispy on the outside and served with some lemon (?) sauce. The salmon here tasted too… average.

BUT! HERE COMES DESSERT!

This is the Chocolate Threeway, made up of (from left) a molten lava cake, a chocolate bar, and a ball o’ oreo. Two words: simply delicious. Must try. The ball o’ oreo was rather intriguing. It is made up of oreo powder on the outside and cream on the inside. I thought I tasted a little bit of dark chocolate too. Molten lava cake was great, but then again I’m not very picky when it comes to lava cakes.

In the background, you’ll see a creme brûlée. Topped with a thin layer of caramel, it was a satisfying dessert but I much preferred my Threeway!

I had a good dinner overall, but I wasn’t too happy that I paid an extra $20 for a view that really wasn’t that impressive. I also didn’t enjoy my main very much as compared to my dessert. The bill was reasonable, given that this is a fine dining restaurant, and the service was good.

For full review and pictures: www.GrumblingStomachs.wordpress.com

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Sat at a table for two near the window panels. Was surprised how close the tables were. I could hear the conversations from the next table.

Ordered executive set lunch for two. Around $50 for entree and mains. It was very reasonably priced for an otherwise expensive ala carte menu around $70-80 per main.

Entree was a salmon sashimi dish. First bite was too salty due to uneven seasoning. Otherwise, it was an ok sashimi dish. My partner had an omelette with crab meat that reminded me of the taste of dried oysters.

For mains, I had a fish with long beans. I would have preferred asparagus instead of long beans. Honestly, nothing special about this dish. Something that my MIL cooks at home every other day and I regretted ordering it. My partner had steak. It was unevenly cooked and lack the juiciness of a medium rare steak.

The best servings were the sides we ordered - fries and mushrooms. The mushrooms were juciy and delicious. Serving was generous. Fries were crispy and evenly seasoned.

It is a nice place to bring a date but find the food not up to the standards of what they are charging. For an executive lunch, it is ok. But I won't be back for dinner if this is the quality of food they are serving for lunch.

4  Thank pandora m
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have eaten at several of Luke's restaurants and this one exceptional as it had the great service, food and a view to die for, 55 floors up.

Not to be missed for that special occasion or just for the sake of it...

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a table of 10 (all Aussies) to celebrate a special occasion.
We decided on the set meal which I have to say was lovely. The food was delicious and presentation was exactly what you would expect from a world class restaurant
The service was very good, ambience was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience
The view from our table was amazing looking over Singapore, would definitely recommend this restaurant for any occasion especially a special event!
Well done!