“Basic, but does the job well!”
Review of Park 22 Hotel

Park 22 Hotel
Ranked #272 of 314 Hotels in Singapore
Paris
“Basic, but does the job well!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

There were 5 of us backpacking through Singapore, and we got a fairly cheap deal though Expedia, although hotels in Singapore are always expensive. It's certainly not the Raffles, but it is very close to a MTR and you can walk into town in 25 mins. Small rooms but the showers work and are hot. Breakfasts are very small but enough to get you to your next stop. It was better than getting a hostel, we had friendly staff, the aircon worked, and for what we paid, definitely happy with our stop there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laurence W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Park 22 is in a very good location in Chinatown, with an MRT and shops nearby. However. that is pretty much as good as it gets.

I booked into a standard room with no windows, and was quite shocked at how small the room was. It had a king sized bed which I could not see how it would have fit through the door in the first place, but there was only squeezing distance between it and the walls. The bathroom was even smaller, with the room advertising "rainforest style" shower. This basically means that the shower head is huge and has next to no pressure (or hot water). The bed itself was comfortable, but the pillows felt like they were filled with porridge - very lumpy and not conducive to a good night's sleep.

The free breakfast consisted of jam with cold scrambled eggs and a microwaved British muffin with tea or coffee. The only problem is the size of the café, as there was barely enough room for the staff to move around and bring your food to you.

I paid SGD100 for the night as a last minute booking, so I probably paid more than normal. But that being said, it was not worth the expense and I will be looking for somewhere of better value in future,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bajar

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I just got done with a 3 and a half week trip of Scotland, staying at budget hotels the entire time, spending roughly $110 or so AUS each night so when my wife and I checked in after a 15 hour flight I wasn't expecting anything super fancy, but when my wife and I were told that we would have to carry our luggage up to our room on the fourth floor from the third floor I started getting a bad feeling.

That feeling was confirmed when the lifts doors opened and I was hit by the odor of smoky sweaty McDonalds. This wasn't going to be good. And then it got even better. We carry our heavy luggage up a flight of stairs, get to the room and open the door, which promptly hits the bed. There's no room for the luggage, the bed which isn't huge, takes up the entire room, with a side door to the bathroom. No windows, or anything else that was shown in the pictures of the room.

I then head to the bathroom to freshen up and the door hits the toilet. Which is right underneath the shower. If you'd like to you can use the toilet, brush your teeth at the sink and take a shower all at the same time! I just hope you don't mind soggy toilet paper. You've got to be kidding me!?

When I call the front desk to sit there and complain since I'd booked the deluxe room, they inform me that's indeed what we're staying in, the deluxe room. At that point I'm so close to losing it, it's not funny. I ask them in all seriousness what kind of rooms that the guests who aren't staying in deluxe rooms are staying in? They inform me that the hotel is full so we're stuck, when I inform that we're going to look for another hotel, they show us 2 more rooms, which other then location in the hotel were exactly the same. What a joke.

If you've only got an overnight bag and you're staying just a night, it wouldn't be bad, to spend 4 days in this dump? Forget it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SquidgyAsh
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was in a single room. I'd read reviews saying the rooms were small, and they were correct. If you're 6ft tall or more you might struggle to fit in the bed. The shower/toilet room was also rather compact, just about wide enough to fit in. There is a TV, a daily bottle of water, a kettle, an air conditioning unit and a desk but don't come here if you're looking for luxury. Unlike some other reviewers I had windows, one of which could be opened.

I had no problems during my stay, there was free Wi-Fi and the reception staff were friendly. The included breakfast is at one of the restaurants across the road (I was originally told one but there were two that accepted the breakfast vouchers). Don't get excited though - you can have a runny egg, toast and coffee, or something deep fried, like a couple of spring rolls (also with sweet coffee).

The location is pretty good, very close (less than 5 min walk) to two MRT stations on different lines, including Chinatown, so connections are good. I think the hotel has changed its name in the last year or so so taxi drivers don't always know of it, so take an address/business card from reception when you head out if that might be an issue for you.

If, like me you just needed somewhere to drop your stuff, sleep and wash it was fine. If you're expecting the standards of even a budget hotel in the UK or Europe you will be somewhat disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Last country before heading home was Singapore. Check in after a 14hr flight. A deluxe room.

Husband and I are told we're on level 4, the lift only goes to level 3, you have to use the stairs for the rest of it. I'm in a little disbelief, my luggage is Heavy. Between the 2 of us, we have 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks and a duffel. Up 2 flights of stairs.

Out the lift on level 3, I'm assaulted with the smell of smoke, and humid air. This is not my first time in Singapore. I shouldn't pre-judge it when I haven't entered my room yet.

Push open the door. The bed is one step into the room. 1 step away from the bathroom. No window. A wall mounted tv with one working station and 3 almost stations with static. Can't get any phone reception. Open the bathroom room.... To put it bluntly, I could use the toilet, have a shower and use the sink all at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in a bathroom in Singapore and Vietnam that doubles as a shower and toilet. All of those times, the toilet is on one side, the sink in the middle, and the shower on the other side.

If this is deluxe, what are all the people paying less than $120 a night getting?

The icing on the cake, was a bug crawling across the bed.

My husband and I did complain to the front desk and were shown 2 equally small rooms. As far as I could tell, no different from the so called deluxe room we had booked.

This MAY be a good stop for someone with just a duffel, overnight stay. But for 3 nights, for multiple country layovers. I would Definately stay elsewhere

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thao D
Manila
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Ok, first off. If you are looking for a hotel with superb service and magnificent rooms, definitely this is not the place. However, if you are looking for cheap lodging with an ensuite bathroom, this would definitely be a good choice. We got the family room, 2 queen beds, and it was perfect for my family. It has a bathroom that basically works for us and its nothing fancy. Most of the rooms have no windows but we got room 315 which I think was one of the best, with its balcony and windows. Room is basically clean but the housekeeping failed to clean the glasses that we used the previous day. Location is great as it is near the train stations, taxi waiting stands and a 7-11 store, for those late night munchies. There is also a nearby chinese restaurant, Kok Sen, that serves superb food and on the cheap. Bars are also plentiful along Keong Saik and Teck Lim Roads as well. The hotel has a quaint coffee shop at the lobby and this is where breakfast is served. Breakfast is simple but we stayed for 3 nights and had a different breakfast everyday.

Room Tip: If you need the family room with the balcony, you need to call them in advance that the room is avai...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank scabula
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My regular Hotel was fully booked and this looked like a reasonable location close to ChinaTown.
Booked 2 nights here. First room had a air con problem where the room smelled like gas. On shift staff did not notice it but a very strong distinctive smell coming for air con so was moved to another room. This room was okay air con wise.

The bad:
1- room was crawling with ants everywhere and literally flowed out of my warm laptop.
2- no fridge, no safe even though it was a queen bed deluxe room. They did bring me up a safe but excuse a safe would not fit was lame as it easily fit int he corner of the room.
3- no fridge thing is odd. You cannot buy anything fresh and keep it. Could be a reason for the ant problem too.
4- toilet roll in bathroom was empty, guess they used last of it for cleaning, the full roll was left on the shelf with parts torn off.
5- queen bed way too hard and uncomfortable.
6- breakfast. try a tiny little blob of cold eggs with 2 pieces of bread and the worst coffee. So old and strong reminded me of my early days in a warehouse office.
7- no available taxis outside and a bit of a walk to get one in the rain.
8-stairwells half blocked with dirty linens. A recipe for disaster if people had to flee down the stairs in a hurry due to fire etc.
9- rooms very noisy and ear plugs a must from all the sounds you hear everywhere around you in the Hotel. Hallway, neighbors etc.
10- bring your own shampoo as they have only a hand dispenser for hand soap, hair soap and body soap and pass it off as 2 in 1 shampoo, body soap. hmmmm..
11- I may have given this Hotel a 2 if the management and staff were smiling etc however even they seemed to match the standards of the Hotel. They helped me out with the safe and room move but don't expect courteous smiles here.

All in all this Hotel is not worth 100 plus per night even for Singapore standards. lacks basic things such as safes and fridges and breakfast was the worst I have had in all my travels and I have been to almost all points Asia.

Room Tip: Don't stay here is the best advice I could give. The owners clearly have not invested anything i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business