“Best bed, worst Hotel”

Park Regis Singapore
Ranked #63 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Where do I start.....the good stuff, great location only a short walk to China Town and across the road from Clarke Quay, gets a very big tick. The bed, for some reason the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept on In 6 countries in Asia.

The not so good.......first room had an overwhelming feeling of claustrophobia, room is definately smaller than anything I have encountered anywhere, ever and there was no way I was staying here. To the Hotels credit when I told the Duty Manager (at 11pm at night) that we couldnt honour the booking and stay in the room, he bent over backwards to understand our concerns and assist with another room. We received a higher grade room that was slightly larger and had less of a feeling of being locked in a shoebox as it was ona building corner with lots of windows to the outside. It was still very small by average hotel standards and even though it was an upgrade I doubt it would even make 30 m2. The design is just plain strange, there is nothing chic or trendy about a toilet and shower in the middle of the room constructed out of frosted glass.

Whilst our confirmation of booking showed free internet access in room, the Hotel literature said it was a purchased package. We never connected to it because of this and no staff member told us any different when asked.

The awful.........it was dirty, unkempt and things didnt work. This combined with constantly having to push past a cleaners trolley in the hall, poor breakfasts and disinterested staff became the real reasons for a poor review

To justify my comments

1) The hallways and surrounds of doors constantly were dusty on the timber area's, clearly no one was cleaning these area's
2) The "bathroom" had dirt and marks left from construction, it was plainly obvious the glass had never been cleaned and tiles polished of excess grout since occupation
3) The toilet pan and cistern were not secured to the wall or floor and rocked from side to side when you sat on it. If felt this was unsafe and used a public toilet up the road.
4) The fit and finish of walls showed excess fillers and area's of sanding/repair that had never been finished, the wardrobe door rubbed against the ceiling impeding its operation.
5) Light switches were positioned in strange places, for example, to turn the reading lamp off on the right of the bed, you used the switch on the right hand side. To turn on the toilet or shower lights you turned on the switch next to the front door

All this was reported to Hotel staff during occupation with no response, on our final day I refused to pay the bill and ended speaking to a Senior Manager who I think genuinely accepted my comment and criticism, provided me with a discount and complimentary transfer to the Airport.

The end result of the Managers efforts were positive, but even if everything else worked or was of an acceptable standard, its room size and weird design would preclude me from visiting again. In a city with so much choice, if you want to be different, you had better be good, this Hotel failed on both counts

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank billybrown
ParkRegisPR, General Manager at Park Regis Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2011

Dear billybro

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for complementing us on our location. We take pride in our prime location being situated in the Central Business District and in close proximity to Singapore's best dining and entertaining hubs, Clarke Quay and Boat Quay.

As you are well aware, we are just next to Clarke Quay MRT Station and also a stone's throw away to one of Singapore's must-go-attractions, Chinatown.

We also take good note on the various points raised with your recent stay and at the outset would like to offer our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

Despite your concerns, we took delight in knowing that you have found our bed the best among the hotels you have stayed in. With regard to the hotel and room design, we wish to seek your understanding that the design and style of each hotel as well as the dimension of its rooms is and can be a very subjective matter of taste.

Nevertheless, I must say it has been a pleasure serving you. I am extremely pleased that my colleague has seen to your needs personally which includes a complimentary upgrade to our highest category room, a discount as well as a complementary transfer to airport.

Reviewed February 23, 2011

This place is rather new (opened in 4th qrt 2010) and so is the feeling. A bit unpolished here and there. The internet server was down for hours, a bit of confusion at the reception, limited TV programs etc. The breakfast buffet is spartanic but on the good side, I like the design, the layout, the rooms with a cozy bench to sit right on the large windows. Nice pool/gym. With a bit more warmth and personal attention to details this hotel will give the Merchant Court on the other side of the road a run for the money.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Dear Fuzzyguy

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

We are really delighted to know that you like our hotel and room design!

We also take good note on the various points raised, your comments have been passed on to the respective Heads of Department to share with our staff - which I have no doubt will only motivate all of us to perform better.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the care and time to review and complement us. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continuously monitor our guest's requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Park Regis Singapore again.

Reviewed February 12, 2011

Toilet and shower are glass enclosed and roomy. But NO shelf space on the vanity, inadequate closet space in a clumsy-to-access closet, small room. The final straw was internet where you pay for 30 minutes, use 5 minutes, and LOSE the rest because there is no logoff. Restaurant was expensive and breakfast is not included in the room price. All together one of those places where we'd never return and NOT a place we would recommend to others, There are better buys in SIN and I regret not having found one.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
ParkRegisPR, General Manager at Park Regis Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Dear wolfg981

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns with your recent stay and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

We take good note on the various points raised especially on the pricing of our menu in our restaurant and acknowledge that the design and style of each hotel as well as the dimension of its rooms is and can be a very subjective matter of taste. In this particular case, we regret that our rooms were not to your taste and expectations.

We also wish to seek your understanding that any purchase of internet access does not come with a log-off point. In this instance, the duration of this purchase of 30 minutes internet access would consider to be 'utilized' despite your sudden preference to halt especially without prior notice made to us.

Finally, with regard to your concern that the breakfast was not included in your room package, we wish to take this opportunity to clarify that we offer many different room packages, among them is the "Room Only Package" that does not come with Breakfast which you had specially selected.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the care and time to review us. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continuously monitor our guest's requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Park Regis Singapore again.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

We are a couple and stay there for 4 nights. We book the hotel because there is a promotion which only costs SG$146 / night. At that time, I have no idea that the bathroom and toilet have no wall by only frosted glass. I sent email to the hotel and asked for a cancellation because the hotel website only provided some computer images but not real pictures. No wonder they rejected. Finally, I used hook and bed sheet to cover the frosted glass.
Apart from the indecent design, everything is fine. Fantastic location, i.e. the MRT station is just across the road and only 5-10 mins walking distance to China Town. Staff are incredibly friendly. Swimming pool is model. Because it is a new hotel, facility is still in good condition.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laisir

Dear laisir

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

We acknowledge that the design and style of each hotel as well as the dimension of its rooms is and can be a very subjective matter of taste. In this particular case, we regret that our rooms were not to your taste and expectations.

We also wish to seek your understanding that the special room package you had purchased was a non-cancellable one. This particular package was our pre-opening hotel promotion - it was a one-off limited promotion which we are no longer offering.

Reviewed February 3, 2011

This hotel is actually brand new. The design is modern and very clean. Everything is in tip top condition. The location is also very good. Located a few steps away from the Clark Quay MRT and about 10 minutes walk to the City Hall MRT. The only bad thing to say about this hotel is its small size rooms, still comfortable tho, and its bathroom. The design left me without privacy. The toilet and shower are separated in its own booths. However, there we no separation between "bathroom" area with the room. Awkward when traveling with your parents or friends.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Dear Akaliana

Thank you very much for taking the time to review and complement us.

We are delighted to know our efforts to provide quality service is being appreciated by you! Your comments have been passed on to the respective department heads to share with our staff - which I have no doubt will only motivate us to perform better.

With regard to your comment on our hotel's interior, we do acknowledge the fact that the design and style of each hotel as well as the dimension of its rooms is and can be a very subjective matter of taste. In this particular case, we regret that our rooms were not to your taste and expectations.

Reviewed January 31, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE!! made a reservation online and when my plans changed, I emailed to inform the Hotel of this and their response was I would be charged for my stay even though within their OWN conditions of booking states: "
> Cancellation:
> Cancellation inside 2 days prior to arrival - a cancellation fee of the first nights accommodation will apply.
> Cancellation more than 2 days prior to arrival - a $5.00 or 2.5% of the actual booking, whichever is greater will be charged as an administration fee."

I wrote to them on 29 January, to cancel for a 4Feb stay of 1 night. Not within the two day period. Was charged for 1 nights stay. Have tried calling, but since the time difference from the West coast of USA to Singapore is 8 hours, I keep being told to call back. What 4 star hotel can't take a reservation at all hours?!?

Terribly disappointed and upset that I have to take up a disputed charge item with my bank.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank bwb512

Dear bwb512

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns with your recent room reservation with us and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

We wish to take this opportunity to clarify to you once again that the room package you were referring to - was a special pre-opening hotel package promotion that came with a non-cancellable clause - which explained why the normal cancellation policy does not apply in this instance. The pricing of this special promotion saw a huge reduction compared to our normal room rates hence the strict terms and conditions. We sincerely seek your understanding in this matter.

We are also pleased to inform you that your opinion on a 24-hr operational reservation department has been brought up to the attention of our management. While we understand the frustration of the time zone difference of the West Coast of USA to Singapore, we regret to inform you that as of now, like most of the htoels in Singapore, our reservation department does not operate on a 24-hr basis. May we suggest all reservation enquires after operation hours to be put in writing via email - our reservation department will revert by the next working day.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the care and time to review us. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continuously monitor our guest's requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Park Regis Singapore in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We stayed at this Hotel for one night while in Singapore. Unfortunately it was our first night after travelling for 14 hours. We were very tired and just wanted a shower and change our clothes. We arrived at 7pm and told our room was not ready We had to sit around for half an hour and wait. We were not impressed and this tainted our view of this hotel.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear hHMC

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

Your concern has been brought to the attention of our respective Head of Department. You have my assurance that we will be taking the necessary steps to improve our performance.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the care and time to review us. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continuously monitor our guest's requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you to Park Regis Singapore.