“If you stay for few hours”
Review of Amrise Hotel

Amrise Hotel
Ranked #293 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was looking for the hotel near the airport and inexpensive. This hotel is what I was looking for and it is not bad to stay only for few hours. It is located between two MRT station, so you can reach anywhere easily. Room is very small and Bathroom is dirty. I could smell something from Bathroom while I was sleeping. If you need to stay few hours before you go to airport, this hotel is not that bad.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gaonlim

Reviewed August 7, 2012

i was not sure about this place having read all the negatives in here. But what a surpise. I travelled with a group and we took 4 rooms all of which were tiny as expected, but really clean with everytthing as required. I was really happy with hot water at about midnight, working wifi + good choice of TV channels. For the price in Singapore its a very good place. We also used their left luggage service and they were helpful. But still, if you expect proper hotel, you can either go to johor Bahru for a room at this price, or pay three times more.

Room Tip: if you want to eat out you will find all what you are looking for within 100 metres (just McDonalds...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Location is good, you have to walk around 500m to MRT, but there are many bus stops around the hotel area. Wi-fi abit hard to get, you need to go outside the room to have good signal.
Lots of good food around. A bit noisy though & some rooms have no windows.
I have no problem with the small room but, there are cockroaches in the room. Disgusting! Will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights. The worst thing of this Hotel is the location: it is a dirty a smelly area (the smell of rubbish in front of the Hotel is quite strong) and non nice place around for dinner (only street food).
The distance from the closest MRT station is 15 min. by walk
Rooms are small and clean, but there is no elevator, so be prepared to carry your luggage up and down (we where on the second floor). I think that beds are a little bit too soft.
I'd spend a bit more a stay in a more pleasant Singapore area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LinuxFox
Reviewed July 28, 2012

the amrise hotel is close to the metro station in a noisy (real asian) part of singapore close to the city centre!
rooms are small, clean, comfortable but really noisy (had to sleep with ear pluggins)
cold shower
all in all its worth!

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room, choose one without window!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RaphaelSilvia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Before we booked this room, my cousin and I checked various forums, blogs and reviews about Amrise Hotel. Sleeping in a small room is not a problem for us. We just needed a place to sleep in anyway.

I have only good comments for Amrise. :)

Location - it is located in a safe place in Geylang area. They say it's a red light district but it's actually more of just a busy place. There is a convenient store beside the hotel, and several fruit stands across the road. There are small food stores around the area. At night, you would find tables along the street with people hanging out or drinking beer, but it's definitely safe. We would walk along Sims Avenue, towards the hotel at around 11PM, and there wasn't any danger or problem at all. From Kallang MRT station, you can take the Bus 2, 63, 67, 80 or 100 then alight on the second bus stop, which is the Yi Xiu Building. Amrise Hotel is just across the bus stop. However, when going to MRT from the hotel, there is no bus available, so you just have to walk maybe 15-20minutes. Bring an umbrella because it can get really hot. For families travelling with a baby, bring a stroller. Kallang station is a few stations away from Changi Airport. It's in the same mrt line (green line).

Room - as mentioned in other reviews, the room is small/cramped. There are no cabinets where you can hang your clothes. But the basic necessities are addressed. There's a TV, telephone, kettle, hot/cold water in the shower, towels. Coffee and 2 bottles of water are replenished daily. If you want them to clean your room, you have to make a request at the reception for make-up room. The room is clean. Bedsheets and pillow cases are clean, toilet is clean too. Just bring toiletries (toothbrush, soap, etc.) coz they dont provide any.

Service - We booked a standard room via booking.com. Checking-in was a breeze. We arrived at the hotel almost 11am, and we were allowed to check in early :) im not sure if it was because we have a 2-year old baby or the room was just available for us. :) all the receptionists are kind, especially Ms. Alice. They accept credit card and cash payments. On checking in, you will be asked to pay the full amount of your stay in the hotel.

Over-all, I really like my experience at Amrise. :) i will definitely book here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LalaDelaCruz
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night as a stopover between flights elsewhere. I've stayed in Geylang before at one of the Hotel 81's so the area itself wasn't a surprise. I believe I ended up in a standard room which didn't bother me, and as other reviewers have said, they are small and windowless - there was a TV (no fridge in this one) the A/C worked very well, although it's either on or off, no temperature control, which would have been fine except for some reason my room didn't come with a top sheet on the bed! Although a blanket was on the bed, I really didn't want to use it without some sort of barrier between me and it. If it hadn't been so late when I checked in I would have gone back to reception to ask for one - I assume they do normally provide them - but as it was I managed with what I had with me. The floor I was on (the 2nd) also smelled strongly of gas when I arrived, which was a little disturbing, but once inside my room it was OK (I also opened the windows on the landing!)

Cleanliness was a bit below average - there were random hairs floating about the room and bed and there was mould on the ceiling, but it's not that surprising if there's no window in the room. The bathroom door looked like it was made of temporary material of some kind, but it still functioned well enough as a door, which might be important to couples. It had a separate shower i.e. it wasn't a 'wet room' - this was actually a nice feature in such a cheap hotel here.

I'm not sure about the security in this hotel, I doubt that I would have been comfortable leaving valuables in the room while out, the door had a traditional rather than electronic key lock and the door itself was cracked slightly right down the middle. The building backs onto roofs and the landing windows I opened did not have locks, they just slid open.

I don't know if higher rooms were better but the noise coming from one of the bars downstairs was pretty darn loud and went very late - it was a Saturday so I don't know if this is normal or just on weekends. This would definitely be a problem for some and I'd recommend earplugs.
The wifi worked well enough for emails and facebook and the staff were friendly.

It was fine for what it was, a stopover night on a tight budget, but I don't think I'd be in a hurry to stay here for more than the one night.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are on the 3rd floor, if reception asks you what you want, choose the 3rd - the sec...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo