“Small rooms, not the best value”

Jin Shan Hotel Chinatown
Ranked #226 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Small rooms, not the best value”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Good location in chinatown and friendly staff. The rooms were very small and did not look like the photos on the net. However the rooms and facilities were clean. I would try another hotel next time I am in Singapore as I would not consider this one the best value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank austravld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We arrived at 1.30 am after 20 hours of air travel so we were not going to argue, any bed would have to do.
However after relooking at the online photos I think that this place is a fraud.
As others have noted the bathroom is small and it is a wet room. No problem, it's what you should expect.
The room however was not. It smelt. There was no window. You have to keep the aircon on whenever you are in the room and its like sensory deprivation. You have no idea of day or night.
The bed was enclosed by four walls, one with a big circle opening. It was impossible for the person sleeping on the far side to get out without waking the other person.
I complained that it was not what we expected and was told if I wanted anything else it would cost more
Also, although not stated when booking, this hotel wants payment in full up font..
All in all is was an unpleasant experience.

The only plus, a great position. I think you could find better though.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scheppes

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Reviewed July 8, 2014

every rooms (my room+my mother's room+my sister's room+my brother's room) do not have any kettle for boiling water and the kettle in second floor do not have enough water at night, my mother was sick at that time and need hot water and I couldn't get any of it. The place surrounding the hotel is good, near food market, near mrt. When I check out I did'nt receive any promotion voucher, but my brother got it. Maybe I should listened to my friend's advices to book V lavender hotel because the price is not difference so much.

Room Tip: I am not sure
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is the smallest room and bathroom I have ever stayed in. Amazed that they can make a bathroom this small. Concierge stated this was due to hotel being heritage listed. The room would be acceptable for a single person but difficult if you have a large amount of luggage or have a disability and require a rolator as it is difficult to get around objects in the room. Room we had was noisy as it overlooked Temple Street and noise coming from vendors packing up, cleaning and then resetting up in the morning. No coffee/tea making facilities in room *(probably due to size of room) and only available in the lounge are from 7-11 am. The position of hotel is great but would not recommend this hotel to anyone with a mobility issue. Staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Get a family room that is a little larger
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank pinzel1957
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Jin Shan Hotel Chinatown, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear pinzel1957,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay in Santa Grand Hotel Chinatown. It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your room. It is due to the building being heritage listed that there are some limitations to the rooms designs. The more spacious rooms are the deluxe and superior rooms. The hustle and bustle of touristy Chinatown is sometimes an attraction to guests, however it is unfortunate that it affected you. We will take your feedback into serious consideration and make the necessary improvements.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

The hotel is strategically located near Chinatown MRT station. Since I have read reviews about rooms having no window, I sent a request when I made the reservation and luckily we got one. There is self service cofee/tea making facility and TV on every lobby floor. Wifi is okay. The bed was comfy, shower room tiny. I really did not expect the room to be spacious, as rooms in SG are not cheap. There is no room service but looking somewhere to eat is not a problem. There is a restaurant called Yum Cha on the 2nd floor (we tried their xiao long bao and siew mai, it was okay) and all other restaurants just around Chinatown offering local dishes.

The staff in the morning shift are very helpful. We asked help to have our documents printed and they were ready to assist us. They were very accommodating to every inquiry we asked while the OTHER male receptionist on the evening shift needs MORE improvement on his COMMUNICATION and CUSTOMER SERVICE skills. Not even courteous enough to be a receptionist.

I would recommend this hotel for those who are not claustrophobic. A perfect location for commuters who want an easy access to the MRT, many souvenirs and other local shops and restaurants too.

Room Tip: If you're looking to get a discount on their rooms, make sure to book at least a month before or...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Cathy D
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Jin Shan Hotel Chinatown, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Cathy D,

Warmest greetings from Santa Grand Hotel Chinatown. We are thankful for your time in sharing with us your experience at our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your room and our convenient location, being near Chinatown MRT station and surrounded by plenty of restaurants and souvenir shops. While we are happy to hear that the morning staff have been prompt with their service, we are sorry that the service standard was not consistent. We value your feedback greatly and would certainly strive to maintain high standards throughout our hotel. We hope to have the pleasure of your return stay!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Room has a lot cobweb.
Room is not soundproofing. The last night that I had stayed, the guest in the next room was quarrel loudly from 0.05 am until 4.00 am. I could not sleep.
Room smell musty.
The elderly male staff is very friendly and good service.
Refrigerator is necessary more than safe box.
ฺBathroom clean and good shower flow.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Suchada N,

We thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We regret that we did not meet with your expectations. While we are happy that our staff had been friendly and attentive, we have also taken your feedback into serious consideration and have stepped up on our pest control and housekeeping services. We welcome all feedback to improve all aspects of our services and facilities. We look forward to your continued patronage.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My 1-week stay at the hotel was quite nice. It really was a great find for an affordable price. I was lucky enough to find a promo online for a more affordable 1-week rate, and I'm glad I chose Santa Grand Hotel Chinatown because my room was clean, the room service attendants were very accommodating and would always ask me if I need anything. The place is also just a 1-minute walking distance from the MRT and the location itself made me feel secured even if I was just travelling alone. I would have given it a 5 rating if the offered free breakfast instead of just free coffee though. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to have a convenient and affordable stay in SG.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Jin Shan Hotel Chinatown, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear Jekka C,

Warmest greedings from Santa Grand Hotel Chinatown. We are delighted to have provided you with a pleasant experience during your stay with us. Our proximity to Chinatown MRT station is a great advantage to our hotel guests that they all enjoyed. Guests are also spoilt for choice with our neighbouring eateries. We'd look into your feedback and continuously strive to improve our rooms and facilities. We look forward to your return stay with us!