“Worth-trying restaurant!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Shinji by Kanesaka
Ranked #124 of 10,421 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Core
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Worth-trying restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

An expensive but worth-trying retaurant!!! It is a little small room with only 8 seats but charming decorations, superlative and extremely fresh food – mouthwatering rice and ugami. It is more interesting to see your food handcrafted with the chef ‘s care, enthusiasm and skill! Its staff is also very attentive. Despite its expensiveness, it is one of the “1 in lifetime” experiences you should try!

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
“As Good as the one in Ginza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were there to celebrate a friend's birthday, and the same bunch of us had visited his outlet in Ginza a few months back. There is no way we could tell the difference between the two due to the excellent sake recommended by Kanesaka-san. If you are a sushi fan you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
“A meal to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wow! What a restaurant! Delicious, fresh, welcoming, and well worth the extravagance.

I went for lunch with a friend and we opt for my omakase meal. My excitement begins just right after I step into the dining area.

This is my first purist style omakase meal, only fish and seafood. From the first meal served to us it was an edamame puree with ikura, I know that this lunch will be a memorable one.

The fish is fresh and melt in my mouth, the Uni so sweet I can’t stop think about it till the next day. The sushi is so good, the rice is warm and kept at body temperature, and lastly and keep me impressed is the wasabi, so smooth and it’s the first time I taste wasabi as good as it gets.

I’m fortunate enough that the master chef Koichiro Oshino is at our service. He made my experience there is well rewarding. The interaction with Chef Oshino is a real bonus lot of interaction and joking.

I will recommend this sushi establishment for anyone who appreciate a quality sushi.

It was fantastic. We had a really good time there, and definitely will go back there when we’re in town.

Beijing, China
“More than just a meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I made reservations for Shinji for my wife's birthday (a vegetarian who eats fish), and was certain that I'd be able to get something suitable for myself (meat eater who does not eat fish), as I normally do when in Japanese restaurants. When we sat down, it was explained that this was a fish only restaurant, and they had no meat...well, I was bracing myself for a long night of watching others eat!

Our Maitre d' (I am sad that I never got her name) explained the concept, the fixed menu, and asked us for any particular tastes / exceptions to our diet - "I'll be able to eat tuna...". Our sushi chef Takahiro was given the challenge of making a menu to suit me, while my wife enjoyed an amazing array of fishy concoctions (sea urchin, salmon roe, octopus, baby squid, and several sashimi and nigiri fish courses as well as several more that I can't remember!). I was given the full array of tuna, with my favourite being the fatty, belly tuna (their fish is flown in daily from the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo, and they don't open when the market isn't open).

The interaction with the chefs was a real bonus which was what made this the experience that set this meal apart for me, We've eaten some excellent sushi (again, mainly my wife) in Japan, and the interaction is good, but there seemed to be more communication here (possibly a language thing), and plenty of joking around...which leads me to my final point:

I brought my wife here for her birthday, and at the end of the meal, the lights went out, and the chefs came out with a little sushi cake, dressed in funny glasses and hats and sung her happy birthday! A real, unexpected surprise which really touched us!

It was a fantastic meal, we left fat and happy! Yes, it was pretty extravagant, but more than worth it. We will certainly be back next time we're in Singapore!

1 Thank Simon D
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

There's little else to say about Shinji. Go, pay up and be impressed. There is basically nothing to complain about and if you don't like the price you are simply in the wrong place, it is of the highest calibre from the moment you walk in until the moment you leave.

The 12 piece option for lunch is more than adequate unless you are super hungry. Tuck in and enjoy and think about the credit card bill later, it is more than worth it.

2 Thank DuffnGuff