“A step into the past”
Review of NUS Baba House

NUS Baba House
Ranked #131 of 847 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: An architectural icon and Singapore's first heritage house, the NUS Baba House showcases the interior of a Peranakan family home in the 1920s. Heritage Tours are held four times a week and are about an hour each. Tours are limited to 13 participants per session and advanced booking is required. Tours are offered on: Mondays - 2pm Tuesdays - 2pm & 6.30pm Thursdays - 10am Saturdays - 11am
Reviewed January 8, 2013

You have to pre-book this tour which is a bit of a pain, but I can understand given that for conservation reasons they can only have a limited number of people going round the house.
The guide was enthusiastic and encouraged questions from the group.

Definitely recommend this tour for historians, creatives, culturalists etc etc ...as well as a walk along Blair road (just round the corner) and Emerald Hill (near Sommerset MRT) where there are some other beautifully restored Peranakan Houses.

1  Thank Lara D

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is an original townhouse from the beginning of the 20th century and has been restored to its former glory. One of the parts of the original singapore left standing. Free tour by a very knowle
G

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Baba House one hour tour was very interesting, especially after visiting the Peranaken museum on a previous trip. The guide was very enthusiastic and informative. The tour is free but you must book beforehand. Some things to note:
- no photography inside the house
- if you are going by taxi, then take a copy of the directions or map provided on the website in case the driver is not familiar with the location
- no bags or personal items are allowed on the tour. I would not bring anything valuable as you must leave it in a cupboard in the front room during the tour.

Overall, I am pleased I was able to go on this tour but I don't think this is one of the "top attractions" in Singapore. I only went on my 12th visit to Singapore. This is a good option if you are looking for something different, running out of new things to see, or interested in a free attraction.

4  Thank Kat0425
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I went to visit the Baba House with my mom, and some of her bridge class friends from Tanglin club yesterday evening. Another 2 more tourist groups went too. The tourist guide was very informative, and knows the Nonya culture very well. Unfortunately, the tour was cut short as I was not feeling very well. I really feel bad that the whole group had to cut the trip short coz of me. Would love to go back to that attracting one day again when I am feeling much better.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We booked into this tour in April 2012. We chose the new evening option. It was without doubt one of the best tours I have been on. The guide was highly informative and personable - and added to the overall experience with additional stories and explanations. It was insightful and a great opportunity to get a feel for what life was like for Peranakan families inside these shop houses. A must-do whilst staying in Singapore.