“Snazzy Design with the Wow Factor”

The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore
Ranked #3 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Florida, Massachusetts
“Snazzy Design with the Wow Factor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had originally booked the older Fullerton Hotel for our one night stay. We checked into our room and changed to go to the pool only to be told that it was recently closed. The manager was top notch though and offered to move us to the sister hotel Fullerton Bay and honor the same rate for our standard courtyard room. We arrived at the Fullerton Bay across the street and were amazed at our room (407) which was huge, had a balcony and a gorgeous view of the bay and MBS. As has been said the only fault I found was the pool which seems to be more form over function. Hope they change the setup with the loungers in the water. We used them as there were no other seats near the pool. Very awkward though. The pool itself was fabulous and we spent a few hours there. This hotel really does have the wow factor with its modern but elegant design. The high ceilings, huge chandeliers and luxurious and plush drapes were outstanding. The hotel is not a huge highrise which I loved. There are only 7 floors and it felt quite cozy. Our room had all the little doodads and the central panel to control the lights was easy to use. The bathroom was a palace and I loved the shower. The breakfast was a treat and I loved the local fare and all the choices. We appreciated the highly trained and professional staff and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Steph2727

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I chose the FBH upon the recommendation of a friend in Singapore associated with the travel business. My overall experience was very positive; the staff are very professional – especially the morning breakfast personnel – remembering my name and beverage preferences each day. The location is excellent with a close 10 min. walk to the Marina Bay Sands, not to mention the great location to watch the nightly laser show from across the bay! The MRT is a short 5 min. walk across the bridge and a 7-Eleven in the event you don't want to pay minibar prices for a snack. The daily room service was attentive, quick and very thorough.

That being said, my only misgivings about this hotel was the fact that I noticed a single potato chip on the floor in front of a room down the corridor the first morning on my way to breakfast. As the week progressed, I made a point to walk past room #406 just to see if anyone had made an effort to clean the floor and much to my amazement it was still there (although in pieces at this point) after an entire week's stay. While on outward appearances the hotel is very clean, a lot of attention is spent on common 'public' areas of the hotel, it is obvious that the more 'non-public' do not receive the same attention to the little details. In my humble opinion, if I can turn the demise of a silly potato chip into a daily game, its obvious that the house cleaning staff isn't that efficient – perhaps that is why they had to spray my room for bugs one afternoon?

Room Tip: Upgrade to get a marina view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Patrick S
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Nothing makes me happier than great service from a hotel, with everything just a touch or call away. Over the Christmas holidays my family decided to stay in Singapore, which I would learn is one of the cleanest cities in the world. Aside from the beautiful lobby, and the well utilised space, The Fullerton Bay Hotel served to be one of the best stays I have had in my travels. Everything from a roof top bar, separate shower and bath, iPod dock and cable television, it served to be a wonderful stay.

I would recommend it to anybody traveling to Singapore, especially over Christmas because they have the most decadent Christmas lunch on offer.

Room Tip: Chose a room facing the Marina Bay if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thulane
Mainz
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

My spouse and I were there for 2 nights at the end of our Malaysia trip and were looking forward to a nice hotel before returning to cold Europe. It's a bit difficult to describe what we didn't like.Yes, the property, rooms and pool are very nice and the location and view are great. Housekeeping was very good as well and the staff was very polite.

But somehow we didn't feel very happy in this hotel as we did in others of the same category before. To us the whole "feel" of the hotel was a bit cold. Although really everyone was polite, the staff seemed a bit stressed or stiff, the politeness was in a very "professional" cold way, the mood was not "at ease".

We didn't like the breakfast very much, we had lots of nicer breakfasts with much more choice. Ordered eggs benedict which took ages, they were brought to our table when we almost finished (thought they had forgotten them). Especially in the breakfast area the staff seemed a bit stressed. Quality of the food was good but also had better quality in other hotels. Could be improved, e.g. by some dishes to order?

We wanted to enjoy some time at the pool also during day but had the impression the pool was there only for design reasons. The sunbeds in the pool are really a faulty construction. You cannot lie comfortably and you cannot put a towel on them because it definitely get wet, they only look nice. Also, we felt not really like guests but more like disturbing the restaurant staff with the preparations for the afternoon, was a bit busy and not relaxing. But maybe that's the nature of the combination of a bar with a pool.

We had expected some small treats as in other hotels of this category, e.g. some fruit, at least at the first day but there was nothing. In front of the elevator was a small bowl with apples, only 2 were left and each time I passed I only saw those two tired, lonely apples, the bowl was not filled up until the end of our stay. Some small touches would help to give the hotel more atmosphere and warmth.

All just small things but next time in Singapore I would try something else (had been in the Ritz-Carlton before, maybe next time the Mandarin Oriental). Didn't feel it was worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cespina
Emeryville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had a wonderful Sunday brunch at Lantern at The Fullerton Bay Hotel in Singapore in late February. Wonderful time with friends and clients - a great place to show off Singapore! A bit of a scene - the pool was extremely busy - but it gave a good energy to the place. The DJ was great - playing a great mix of tunes all afternoon.
Overall - next trip to Singapore The Fullerton Bay looks like a great place to check into!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Ive always preferred boutique hotels and Fullerton Bay is probably my favorite in its range. Although less quaint than the usual hotel I usually choose, as a Singaporean I appreciate that the decor narrates the history of Singapore beautifully. I was really quite happy to be walking around the grounds. Stayed 4 night and had most of our client drinks at the hotel bar, Lunar.

Location was perfect for business meetings and getting around town. The concierge was very helping in getting taxis for us.

Check in took over an hour, due to some issues with the room. While we were given complimentary drinks at the lobby, it was a bit of a pain as we needed to have a conference call by 4pm and we to check in around 2pm to have time to prep.

It turned out that even after the wait there was still some problems with the plumbing in the room and the shower head fell on me. It was an otherwise lovely room with great space and view of the bay. I liked the furnishing in the room as well and it had perfect amenities. Then again, put me anywhere with a big clean bathtub (and a tv in front of it) and I would generally be happy.

Privacy in the hotel seemed really good. There was a wedding going on one of the evenings and the newlyweds had a room along our corridor, but I heard nothing, apart from seeing a number of guests downstairs and a wedding party trying to access the rooms. The hotel grounds has good space.

Breakfast spread was satisfying with a good mix of continental and local fare without being overly extravagant. Room service was prompt and delicious as well. I especially recommend the chocolate pillows, but remember to order them before 11pm.

Service was inconsistent though. While we generally had very patient and attentive hotel staff members taking care with us, there were a few incidents that surprised me. Lunar mixed up my reservation for 6 guests and gave me a table for 4. We were fine with that, but it took more than 10 minutes for extra chairs to be brought, and my party was left standing around the otherwise seated area. Service was very iffy that night. We called the reception the next day and gave feedback but were instead told "what do you want? free drinks? free lunch?" .... Let me first make clear that we had made no suggestions or indication that we needed anything at all for free, neither did we have further plans to dine at the hotel as it was going to be our last night. I was appalled and insulted. Does one honestly think that people would stay at the Fullerton Bay and be asking for freebies? We asked to be transferred to the manager who offered to come to the room to speak with us. I think that most of the staff at the hotel allow it to live up to its 5 stars but the inconsistency at this level is memorable. For this, I have very mixed feelings about the hotel, but based on location, room, view and general comfort/ease of stay it is likely that I will return for my next business trip. The other boutique hotel I love, the New Majestic Hotel, is less easily accessible.

Room Tip: Bay view for sure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Adele W
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent 2 nights here in transit from the Maldives before returning to Melbourne. We had actually won a voucher for the accommodation in a competition and were looking forward to the stay.

Our check-in procedure was smooth and we were allocated a room on the 6th floor, the highest accomodation level and below the pool area. The room looked out over the bay and could could see the Marina Bay Sands hotel and Singapore Flyer wheel from our balcony.
With the benefit of hindsight this location proved to be a disadvantage because on our 2nd night there was a function in the pool area with loud music that continued past midnight.

The room itself was spacious and the bathroom had a separate shower and toilet area leaving plenty of room in the bathroom. Unfortunately we found the bed very soft, something we guess was designed rather than wear and tear; we find a firmer bed gives a better night's sleep.

The breakfast buffet was more than adequate and staff helpful.

Having been to Singapore a number of times before the location suited us fine; we walked to the places we wanted to go that were all within 2km of the hotel. There is an MRT station across the road that provides excellent access to much of the city.

It is a pity our stay was spoilt by a number of minor maintenance issues that, whilst dealt with promptly, were an inconvenience and almost certainly should not have occurred in a hotel of this high standard. We did communicate our concerns to 2 different Duty Managers who we understand raised the matters with the relevant department heads.

We remain disappointed at the vast majority of hotels that purport to implement "save the environment" plans like the re-use of towels, and yet their house-keeping staff almost without exception replace towels that have been hung for re-use, and leave all the room lights on when cleaning is completed.

Room Tip: Not on the 6th floor because of noise from the roof top pool area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple