“Once again wish I could rate 1/2 points”

The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore
Ranked #1 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Once again wish I could rate 1/2 points”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had stop overs both ways on our trip so were lucky to be able to spend time at two hotels in Singapore (and two in BKK).
The FBH is a really beautiful hotel. The rooms are amazing - probably one of the nicest rooms we have ever had. We had a bay view room - this is where the problems starting. On check in we were told we had a premium room - and I said so that is the one with the bay view. Answer "Oh we don't have any of those rooms available". I have never been downgraded at checkin. Luckily I had to confirmation from the hotel confirming the bay view room which I produced and within half an hour were were shown to our bay view room. No apologies, if I had not questioned it I would just have been put in a lesser room.
The general staff all seemed pleasant but at breakfast they seemed like they really did not care.
So I would have taken a half point off for staff.
We had a snack at the pool bar which was really good and everyone up there was great. The view is amazing.
The hotel is a short walk from MBS with shops restaurants etc .
The rooms, food and drinks are very expensive even compared to other 5 star Singapore hotels.
Overall we were very impressed and would like to return.

Room Tip: Bay view room are really nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank AussieAnge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for somewhere different, wow from the moment you walk in the service is above and beyond !!!
Fantastically maintained rooms and services daily very well, good balcony and view also, rooftop bar lantern is great, as well as the lobby bar. Breakfast included buffet sensational fresh and lots of choices, staff happy to get you something different of you want !!
Defiantly recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2013
London
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My second stay here.....what a fabulous hotel. It's right on the waterfront, with views of the Marina Bay Sands (the crazy triple structure with what looks like a boat across the top!) and a ringside view of the nightly sound, fountain and laser show.
But it's the hotel which is lovely: immaculately clean and tastefully furnished, the rooms are huge, with balcony, see through glass wall to the bathroom, nespresso machines with endless pod topups, big fluffy towels, rain shower, huge bathtub (with headrest!), soft bathrobes, big comfortable beds, etc etc....had stayed in other hotels in Singapore but after one stay here, I was hooked.
Also the staff are very friendly and helpful and greet you every time you return to the hotel with 'welcome back'! Super service in a city which is very service orientated. If you can afford to stay here, the do, you will love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We booked the premier bay view room to use the sun deck for a small celebration with guests. Unfortunately, although we were an hour and a half later than our confirmed arrival time, we were told they would need another hour to clean the room. In the end we were able to use the sun deck as needed (though we had to pass through someone's dirty room to get there), they reduced out rate as we stayed in the smaller room and gave us a bottle of champagne to help celebrate out occasion. Overall, we would have preferred the original room as planned but felt the staff, especially Craig, helped to make things right in the end.

The rooms are well maintained, spotlessly clean, and the bay view rooms have fantastic sprawling outlooks (good for the light show at night). The beds are comfortable and we enjoyed the little touches such as their amazing bathrobes (plush toweling on the inside and a smooth cotton on the outside - it feels like a blanket!) and both men's and women's sizes.

The service was reasonable. Friendly but a little slow at times.

Breakfast at the Clifford restaurant was fairly good. Good quality food, prompt service and a relaxing atmosphere, but not as much choice as some if Singapore's larger hotels.

Overall a great hotel for couples in a convenient location with great views of the Marina Bay attractions.

• Stayed January 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Starting with the location and the wonderful view the Fullerton Bay is one of the best and most contemporary houses also in terms of rooms and facilities. Te location offers great views but lso proximity to the CBD and MRT Stations etc. The rooms are large, very tastefully and expensively decorated with all the amenities you can hope for. Not just fancy design but contemporary elegance is what this is all about.The staff is excellent and gives you a feeling of personal attention throughout.The rooftop bar "The Lantern" has become a magnet for expats and some Singaporeans alike and is truly magnificent.Only the gym is far too small and does not have sufficient equipment for a house of thia class.

Room Tip: You can take any. All three directions the rooms face have great views. I persnally like the ones fa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have always stayed at the Ritz Carlton when travelling to Singapore. Given the hype about this hotel, we thought we'd give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. We stayed three nights from 2 January arriving at 8.00 pm with the Hotel organising their car service to pick us up from the airport and transfer us to the hotel. Upon arrival we went through the ususal check-in process and the gentleman checking us in, asked us to take a seat whilst he went to the room to check that it was ready for us. After about 5 minutes, he returned and he escorted us to our room. It appeared to be ready but we soon discovered the room was not ready...no toilet paper, the large tray of coffee pods was completing missing, there were potato chips on the carpet near the couches, the TV didn't work. It took three different service people to fix the TV; after the first one couldn't fix it, he arranged for someone else to come; the second person came and couldn't fix it and arranged for a third person to come and fix it. Not what we really needed after an 8 hour flight and we wanted to head out for dinner. I relayed the issues to the Duty Manager the next morning from our room phone and he thanked me for letting him know. I think the person I spoke with may have been the person who checked that the room was ready the previous night! I suspect that may have been as far as my feedback went.

The Hotel is new, looks beautiful, is very comfortable and is in a great location.

From my point of view, it is the service which really lets this hotel down. Generally, the staff is not well trained. Some staff we encountered were not confident in speaking English and that may explain the lack of service because we could see them avoiding interacting with guests. One morning I was the only guest in the Lobby Bar/Coffee area. It took forever for the staff member to come to me so I could order a coffee. After receiving my coffee, I probably sat there with my iPad for nearly an hour. He didn't come near me in all that time. I expect I would have ordered another 2 coffees in that time had he come to ask me if I would like anything else.

Breakfast is a shamozzle and I can't even bring myself to describe some of the incidents we saw during our stay. The chef at the egg station could never cope and disappeared one morning after he received a number of orders. The service at the Chinese restaurant located in the Hotel (I don't think it is owned by the Hotel) was so bad it was comical - don't go there unless you need a good laugh - trust me.

Service at the Lobby Bar was also hit and miss. If you didn't spend a lot of time at the Hotel during your stay, you may not notice these deficienies and I expect you would leave with a very favourable view of this Hotel as reflected in most of the reviews of this Hotel on Tripadvisor. But for us, we have travelled to Singapore many times and have done all the sights, so our time at this Hotel was for relaxation and to enjoy the service and facilities.

The roof bar is excellent and a wonderful way to start your evening.

I am sure that upon my return to Singapore, we will be returning to the Ritz Carlton where the service is exceptional and is what we really enjoy from our Hotel stays. If I was the Manager of the Fullerton Bay, I would be sending my key staff over to the Ritz Carlton, check them in for a night and let them experience true 5 star service. What they would take away would be invaluable to train the other staff at the Fullerton Bay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Marina Bay Sands offer a great view and you can enjoy the nightly light show over t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travelwriter63
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in early january as a stopover on return from Dubai, we arrived at the hotel at 8am, and they were able to assist by providing an early check in at 10am so we were able to freshen up for the day.
This is a lovely hotel everything is fresh, clean and new.
The shower was nice and powerful and not over the bath - like so many.
The pool is on the top of the hotel with great views but has a bar adjacent and therefore can only be used in the morning which a little disappointing as the weather in singapore can shock you so it would have been nice to come back for a refresh in the evening anyhow still great for a morning swim!
nice location 15mins walk to MBS complex and a dozen great bars/restaurants just outside the hotel.
no downside to comment on our stay - would visit again!

Room Tip: Remember to have a bay view room for the views of marina bay - lovely on the balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple