“Good ambiance, average food”
Review of La Villa - CLOSED

La Villa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Good ambiance, average food”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

La Villa can be a great restaurant given it's location and surroundings. So I decided to take my parents who were visiting us in Singapore. I was quite upbeat as La Villa, which is set in the premises of an old school and has alfresco dining, belongs to same group as Senso, La Nonna and Spizza.

As we'd taken cocktails and bites elsewhere, we got down to the main course right away. We ordered a premium meat platter, a veal Rigatoni and a vegetarian burger. My wife who's a vegetarian confirmed with the steward that the burger was a patty and not just stir fried vegetables as the menu seemed to indicate. Upon getting an assurance she went ahead with her order. Surprisingly the steward didn't bother to ask me the 'done-ness' for my platter, which according to me is the most important aspect of eating a steak.

When the food was served, my wife's burger wasn't a burger patty, but just vegetables. The Rigatoni was good, but nothing exceptional. The meat platter was quite filling, however, I wish that the meat wasn't as well done. Well, if I do go again, I'll ensure that I tell them how I want it.

For desserts we had a Torta which was a lemon tart. It was slightly sourer than I would've liked and hence I didn't enjoy that much.

The service was just like most other Singapore restaurants, nothing exceptional. The one drawback that I sensed was that if you are taking elderly people do make sure that you have your transport as it's difficult to even call a taxi as the lines are usually busy on weekend evenings and the walk to the main road is about 5-10 minutes for them.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Traveleator

“Italy in Singapore”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I went there last week for a romantic dinner and i have to say that this is the place to bring a date during the week.
We were sitting outside and had an amazing choice of wine and food. I most certainly recommend the sole and sharrign a couple of appetizers.

This is a great location in singapore !!!

• Visited January 2011
Singapore, Singapore
“Great italian food in a singapore heaven”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was in La Villa last week. This is a great restaurant to have good time and good food with friends. I loved the terrace it is a perfect place to have a drink, you can also eat there. You are close on river valley but in a nice and quiet garden.
The food is great. We shared starters with friends, I recommend the carpaccio. I had pastas, there were delicious. I would also recommend the pana cotta, just ask for extra starwberries, it is even better. You can find a large choice of wines for all budget.
If you are looking for good italian food and a nice place, you must go there.

• Visited January 2011
Hong Kong, China
“Waitress from hell”
Reviewed December 12, 2010

We visited La Villa a few weeks ago with friends and children for Sunday brunch and will not visit again.
Main reason being the very unfriendly waitress at the restaurant: we requested for a table close to the door as we would bring our children and they would play outside.
Upon arriving, there was an empty table which was first assigned to us however after we sat down, another waitress came to our table and requested us to move in a very customer unfriendly manner.
She mentioned the lady who reserved the table would not let release it therefore we had to move. A very valid reason, however she could have been a lot more friendly in explaining.

What happened afterwards was even more appalling: the table was not occupied for another 1.5 hours! After about 1 hour, 3 ladies sat down for 5 minutes and moved again. So when we did ask why the table was still empty the friendly waitress from hell, mentioned, they would come back. Really, 15 minutes before we left, the table was occupied.

This behavior is very sad as the brunch and location of the restaurant is really nice, good value for money.

You just don't treat guests this way. I send a complaint to the manager who was so kind to reply to me but defending his staff (great to stand by your staff) and explaining her reasoning. I can understand the reasoning but a) she should have mentioned when we were there, b) you should treat your customers friendly.
So if the manager has the same kind of approach, you will not see me there again. Many more places to choose from

Zurich, Switzerland
“Good Italian Food”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We have eaten a couple of times at la villa. It's nice location with quiet a bit of greenery in front is a little retreat in the buzzling city of Singapore. At one occasion we had "the grill" The portion was tremendous. They even offered a second serving - which we couldn't have possibly managed. Other times we had pizza and pasta. Both are very well prepared. The wine selection is good. with kids I believe it's worth going on sundays as they set up a bouncing castle.