“Small but clean rooms!”

Fragrance Hotel - Bugis
Ranked #175 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Arrived in Singapore at 2am so we chose this hotel just for the sleepover until 8am. The room was newly renovated, very clean but also small. Most friends said the location was a red light district and we did see ladies in the streets dressed in mini skirts but they just looked like going to a disco, so 'twas ok for my kids.
Price for the room is reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms are usually good for 2 pax only. A bit noisy outside.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Emychic
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Given that there are 22 Fragrance Hotels in Singapore. I believed you might have mistakenly posted your review in the wrong Fragrance Hotel outlet. Fragrance Hotel – Bugis is located in the arts and cultural district in the heart of Singapore's civic centre and the precinct plays host to the many museums, national monuments and art institutions. Many of our guests had enjoyed staying in this hotel due to its great locality.

Having said, I would like to thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you are looking for a budget hotel in a great location, this hotel might be your good choice ...however...the room is for sleeping only! It is clean but they squeeze all the costs. Super small room with less than ten TV channel..no window...no restroom floor mat.

Moreover, I booked a room through AGODA and on the website I put a special request for twin beds as I was planning to Singapore with my friend. Since I booked the hotel 6 months in advanced, I expected I could get a standard room with twin beds for sure. However, when I checked in...the staff told me that in standard rooms....there is no twin bed! Imagine this....I gotto stay on a queen size bed with a friend who happened to got cold on the first day of our staying! I wanted to upgrade to a deluxe room but there was no room available.

Anyway, the staffs were very nice, polite, and friendly....So I blame it all to the system T^T

Room Tip: Contact a hotel directly
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

I wished to clarify that the Superior Room category you had booked comes with either a Queen Size Bed (Double) or two Single Beds (Twins) and I understood that you had made a request for the Twin Bed. Our hotel values your request and while every effort has been made to accede to it, our hotel cannot, however guarantee that it can be met. Due to the limited availability of the Twins, I regret that you were not being offered this bed type during your hotel stay. The Deluxe Room was also fully booked due to the hotel's heavy occupancy.

Though this may have caused you some disappointment, I am delighted to hear that you had enjoyed the friendly interactions with my Front Desk Staff.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The hotel was not so big, it is located (not so near) the Bugis station... we have to walk 15 minutes to reach the Hotel. But the walking is not boring since we will be passing through shopping malls & shops.
Checking in is quite smooth, the front desk staff is quite friendly.. answering every question about visiting Singapore.. feels comfortable with that... About the room, I would say it is very small... compared to the price we pay. :( -- And the room we got has no window.
What I like about the Hotel is the shower... very nice hot water & the room is quite clean too.
Room rate does not come with breakfast.. so we buy some bread & coffee from the 7-eleven just down the Hotel. no issue with that.. :)

Re-visit?.. We would definitely come again...

Room Tip: Deluxe room has windows, but not much different with Superior room (without one) since the view is n...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 nite. Booked via hotel website and got a special deal for just under SGD100.

Location is good, very close to the Bugis shopping area and Liang Seah Street where you can find good eateries. 100 metre away is the iconic Raffles Hotel! Go figure out how excellent the location is! Next door is the 7-11 convenience store.

Wasnt expecting much for service. Keep in mind it's BUDGET hotel. Small room without window - about 2-foot space around the queen-size bed. Beddings comfortable enough for me but only 2 pillows. Build-in closet enough to hang up a few pieces of clothes and keep a cabin-size luggage. Aircon temp was consistent. Complimentary: 2 small bottles of drinking water, box of tissue paper and few sachets of instant coffee/tea. Of course also small electric flask provided to boil water. LCD TV big enough for the room size. (Didnt use the TV so dont know what programs or channels are available.) I got free WiFi in the deal, otherwise it's SGD10 for 24-hour use and limit to 2 gadgets. Connection is good but speed quite slow. Hand-held shower (for me this is a plus!) in very small bathroom. Hot water and water pressure are really good! Separate shower gel and shampoo provided in dispensers. Toothbrush kit is provided. Overall the room is well-kept and clean.

Dont expect to get very good service! Check-in staff is courteous and efficient with check-in process, but not actually helpful or friendly, or would make you feel welcome. (From experience i think this is quite consistent with budget hotel standard in Singapore. You cant get much help so dont expect conceirge service! Maybe they may get friendlier if you stay long enough.)

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends who seek no-frill clean and safe budget stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guangshan
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Best hotel at the price,easy acces to everywhere,eat,mall,and mrt
Even in the morning we can get subway open at 8 near the hotel
Clean and cool i con
Overall good,the staff are verry nice,but only 1 staff woman when i check out,when i need something to explain,she answer not nice with a litle high tone,only one women staff desk i saw at the last day i check out,other else is realy nice staff and friendly
Hope the management will evaluasi the service of the desk staff with cctv,so dont put the bad atitude staff or not nice face staff in the side desk reception
Hope the atitude can be change so we have perfect experience when we stay to the hotel
Overall this hotes is recomend for stay at singapore with this price,i will back to this hotel next visit
Tq fragance hope more better next time......

Room Tip: Dont chose room with door conecting to next room,so noisy......
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The attitude of staff which lacks of sympathy. I made the booking months ago for a twin superior room through booking.com and the 1st night was chargeable in advance. However, when we arrived, there was no twin room and they said they was "kind enough" to transfer us to another branch (otherwise I had to sleep on the floor with the blancket provided by them) but we had to pay for the transportation on our own as the "twin bed" indicated on my voucher is under special request and according to them, it s subject to availability!!!. Nothing about "subject to availability" is written on my voucher. I'm always an easy going person and generally have no problem with the hotel's cleanliness, window or no window, Etc. I even accepted the twin bedroom when traveling with my bf, but this time I was traveling with my father so I was very specific about the twin beds. I told them I agreed to transfer to their branch and would not question about the price difference(as bugis is the best location), but I won't pay for the taxi although it costs only 8 bucks as it was unfair and my dad refused to do so no matter how I persuaded him. The manager and booking.com staff kept blaming each other and he even spoke very loudly to me and said he won't entertain me anymore. It was 4 p.m, we just had a 3 hours flight and still had not have lunch yet. I encountered this problem before and the hotel at that time offered the taxi reimbursement. Simply put, our 2 days in Singapore was totally ruined.
P/s: just in case the not-in-house manager at that time exaggerates the situation, my father was frustrated and he did tap the the reception counter a little bit hard and did prevent other guests to speak to the receptionist as he wanted the staff to solve the issue asap. My father was worried I did not have time to collect the gown for my graduation ceremony in the next morning. However, he did say sorry to other guests with his limited English and it happened less than 20 secs, the guests were well served by other receptionist and we were literally silent for nearly 1 hour for the hotel and bookings.com blaming each other.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kelsy C
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Overall the hotel was Ok. stay in 3 rooms for 4 nights. small room. Rooms not being vaccum coz hairs still on the floor.Some of the complimentary items was not top up (water bottles, tissues). Bed sheets was not being change for the the 4 nights (i notice a choc drops on the sheets on the first night and still there for the rest of the nights.
Receiptionist was helpful. Early Morning sleep was disturbed by indonesian familys ( 3 families) staying in the opposite rooms. They make a lot of noises especially when they want to feed their children and they talk so loud that you can hear their agenda in the room. The hotel should advised them.
i will stay again in my next trip but i will request for a room far from indonesian family with children.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Halis T
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

I am sorry to learn of the less than satisfying stay in the said hotel.

Concerning the hotel room cleanliness, I had already conveyed this feedback to the Duty Manager and Housekeeping Manager. They will seek improvements on this aspect. They had also take note of the nosie issue made by the other hotel guests. Having said, please accept my apologies for the service lapse you had encountered.