“Charming Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #35 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed at the hotel in October 2013 for 5 days with my 2 yr old daughter.
Beautiful property, small but with alot of character and history. The location of the hotel was probably what I was most happy with, close to the Canning Park, about a 15 mins walk to Orchard Street, 15 mins walk to Clarke Quay (if you cut through the park) and 7 mins walk to Dhobi Ghat rail station. So convenient enough. The staff were helpful and courteous and always greeted us with a smile. And I think the bathrooms are amazing with great views and a pretty unique design concept. Oh, lets not forget, they had happy hour every evening between 6pm - 9pm in the hotel bar and lounge. Free alcohol on certain brands. I think that's cool!

A few issues to mention :

- the wifi is horrible. It just would not connect. That's a pity, because it's free and yet one can't seem to connect to it.
- Another small issue was the housekeeping sometimes were not done with cleaning the rooms even till 3:30pm - 4pm. I found that a bit annoying, as when one returns from half a day of sightseeing and wants a nap or relaxation, to come back to a messy room, is a bit frustrating.
- And not very flexible with early check in or late check out. I did finally get my late check out (thanks to Kelson, great guy) but I think if there are families with children, they should be a little more flexible.

Would I recommend the hotel to others? Most definitely.
Would I ever return there myself? Most definitely.

It's cozy, beautifully located right near the beautiful Canning park and overall not too much to fault. I'd rate her an 8 out of 10.

Go on, give it a go :)

B

Room Tip: The deluxe room is very small. Cozy enough for a single traveller or even perhaps two young adults...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank beryldueman
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear beryldueman,

Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely review.

We are glad you found the property beautiful with a lot of character and history, and the location convenient. We are also gratified that you liked your room design and experienced the staff as helpful and courteous.

We are currently looking into strengthening our wifi connection. We usually do not have problems with it so we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We will certainly look at your comment on Housekeeping and how improve on the cleaning time.

As a small boutique hotel, we do not have many rooms to play with, and hence, it is a bit more difficult for us to be able to accede to requests for complimentary early check in or late check out. We are glad that Kelson was able to help you with this.

We are most grateful for your high recommendation to other travellers to stay with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning in the near future!

Amy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very nice, designer hotel in the Heart of historical Singapore. Located in beafutiful garden, near Singapore Museum, close to main shopping street Orchard.
Really nice and quite płace good to rest and visit the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Inez G,

It was a pleasure reading your very nice review.

We are indeed located in "the Heart of historical Singapore" as you have mentioned, and are walking distance to many museums and galleries. We are glad that you enjoyed our setting in a heritage city park and our proximity to main shopping street, Orchard Road.

We are also glad that you appreciated the peace and quiet that Hotel Fort Canning affords.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us soon!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The Hotel is located close to the Center of Singapore in a beautiful park.
It is very stylish and the rooms are modern and have besides a beautiful bath in the middle of the room a very good tv system.

Problem of this Hotel is that in Spore you will do majority of your trips via a taxi, but the Hotel is
not right on one of the main roads, but it take a cab several minutes to get there from the street. This might be the reason, why the Hotel staff is not able to provide access to a taxi within a normal time. I stayed there for two days and twice I needed to wait between 20-30 min for a cab.

The Hotel is very popular for weddings and conferences, therefore the evenings are quite loud and in the you experience many drunk people in the Hotel lobby. If you try to get a cab at the same time when one of this parties come to an end, you can just forget it!

The room had been on the first view very clean and well planed, on a second view I experienced fungus in the shower. And if u use this shower you will find it very difficult NOT to water the floor of the room, as the sliding door has no bottom to catch the water running down.

As mentioned the Hotel looked clean, but if you take the stairs from the first floor to the pool area you ll see that it has NOT been cleaned for weeks. Old dried out geckos, used tissues, etc...quite shocking.

On the day of departure my flight went home very late in the evening so I only woke up at 12:20, I called the reception and asked if I could check out instead of 13:00 please at 14:00hrs, but this was clearly declined but they told me if I like to check out later I need to pay for half a day extra -
that did not lead me to become specially happy abt the service.

The hotel has two swimming pools, but I think not suitable for families with children as there is not marking between swimmer and non-swimmer side of pool - all of a sudden it becomes very deep.

Summery:
for business people who need often and quick a taxi - not suitable:
for holiday makers incl children - there are places in Singapore with far better pools;
for party guest who like to sleep there after they attended one of the many marriages: very suitable

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Nobody125

Dear Nobody125,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are looking at the matters you have raised with our Housekeeping and Engineering departments to resolve or improve them.

We have had many families with young children staying with us and have only had positive feedback on the swimming pools so we are a little surprised by your feedback. Never-the-less, we will take your note of your concerns.

Our normal check out time is at 12 noon. We note that you had already been accorded a complimentary late check out at 1pm, which was already a stretch for us as we were running at a high occupancy on that day. We are sorry we were not able to accord you a later check out time at 2pm.

We hope your next stay with us will be a better one.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay here and think it fills a strong niche in the Singapore hotel ecosystem.

I stayed here for 5 days in late october after reading the ausbt.com.au review and finding it the most convenient luxury hotel for the Singapore Art Biennale which I was attending multiple days of. Highly recommend if the biennale is part of/is your reason for visiting Singapore.

Much has been said about it's location and I have to say it's very convenient (even walkable in Singapore's sweaty heat) to the galleries and many cultural/historical/art institutions and private galleries nearby. Highly recommend for this purpose but like much of Singapore is easy to get to other must see areas of Singapore too. I shopped on orchard road many nights and again very walkable.

I also enjoyed it's park setting and how it wasn't as corporate and concrete jungle as most other Singapore offerings. Seems to be locals favourite for this reason too.

Room itself was large with great ceiling heights and a nice fit out throughout. It was very clean with comfortable chairs and bed. Found it to be quiet and peaceful during my stay even with multiple functions in hotel and the balcony was a nice touch. Particularly enjoyed the technology implication and functionality. To nit pick the cable selection wasn't that strong and I found the bath (in my room) a bit awkward to use and in its placement.

I ordered simple room service food after hours a couple times and was a solid effort though nothing amazing but was also well priced so definitely recommend if you're wanting it. I used the pool(s) a couple of times and again found it nice, well maintained and enjoyable though nothing amazing. I also thought the open pour drinks in the lobby for guests a nice feature though I didn't indulge as much as I could have. Great choice of prosecco and nice juices were what I sampled.

I generally found the service very good though to be direct, my initial check in was a little curt and unfriendly. However the subsequent service from others was very friendly and attentive. I find this a lot around Singapore with service being sporadic in it's friendliness, rudeness, unhelpful etc. and put it down to something cultural or the high pressure living conditions that can bubble up in Singapore or whatever else people can think of. It effected my initial enjoyment/choice of the hotel but later that day and throughout stay was remedied with excellent fairly efficient service so does not put me off returning.

Definitely Recommend!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor with a balcony but without the bathroom with windows and while I enjoye...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ManyKnights
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear ManyKnights,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very comprehensive review! We are so pleased that most of it was very positive. However, we are more concerned with what you found not so positive.

We are currently looking into strengthening our wifi connection. We usually do not have problems with it unless we are running fullhouse, and it happended that while you were staying with us during the Singapore Art Biennale, the hotel was full. We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The room you were in indeed has the bathtub in the middle of the room as part of its "quirky" design. We do have rooms with the more traditional bathroom configuration, so you might wish to try one of those the next time you stay.

We also sincerely apologise that your check in experience was less than perfect. The Front Office staff who was attending to you was not feeling well that day, and may not have performed optimally.

We are still gratified that you found much to like at Hotel Fort Canning and are reassured by your last three comments - "Great experience and suited my preference for low fuss and informal luxury from the hotels I stay in. For room size and luxury I definitely think it's one of the best for it's price in Singapore. Definitely Recommend!"

We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Fort Canning for 1 week. Checkin very straight forward, staff very polite and helpful. Taken to room on 3rd floor by receptionist for an explanation of how things work. Clean room had everything I required and a firm but very comfortable bed. I have lower back problems but not on this bed. No pain in the morning - never slept better! Bathroom with a view was a nice touch. 2 swimming pools (one for laps, the other for relax) and a superb gym. Hotel located in a lush tropical park, nice to stroll around each morning before it became too humid. Closest MRT Dhoby Ghaut is a five minute walk away and has access to 3 train lines and great food and shopping at Plaza Singapura.
Can get busy on weekends with wedding party and guests.
Would stay here again without hesitation!

Room Tip: I found the easiest way to enter the lobby (if walking to avoid all those steps via the park) was vi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank toorust
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear toorust,

It was a pleasure reading your lovely review! Thank you for it and for staying with us!

We are so glad that you had a good one week at Hotel Fort Canning, and found the staff to be very polite and helpful, the rooms clean, and most importantly, the bed very comfortable for your lower back problems.

We love it that you "would stay here again without hesitation", and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 29 Oct-2 Nov. The front desk at checking didn't have the correct check out dates, even though I had a copy of the confirmation. Then, I was put in a room that had an adjoining room. The noise next door was terrible and very loud. Then, I had to check out late and they assured me that I would be charged a full extra day. When I returned to my room after the last work day, it hadn't even been cleaned! I was not amused. When I called the front desk, they told me I didn't tell them I wanted the room cleaned! Wow, I was not aware that I had to ask for something I paid for! I would advise not to stay here, the location is fairly remote for singapore.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Feelya
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Feelya,

We are terribly sorry that you had such an unpleasant stay at our hotel. We sincerely apologise for the service lapses due to miscommunication between departments, which we can reassure you is not the norm. The staff involved have been counselled and retrained.

We are glad, however, that you were graciously willing to accept our compensation for the less-than-stellar service of a night's accommodation. We hope that you will be kind enough to put this episode past you and give us another chance. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Fort Canning Hotel mid 2012.

Can't praise enough.

Great location - excellent modern inclusions - stylish and clean.

Great breakfasts and well appointed restaurant.

No noise - with beautiful gardens and great views.

Stayed for 4 nights on our way from Sydney to London to break the trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike M

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very nice review!

We are very happy that you found the hotel to be stylish and clean, and the location quiet with beautiful gardens and great views. We are also glad you appreciated our breakfasts and well appointed restaurant.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning soon!