“Fantastic hotel, ideal location and friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #30 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Wow. I have just returned from a six day visit to Singapore with my brother to visit places where we once lived. We choose the Hotel Fort Canning for its location and character of building where our father possible once worked in the 1950's.
Our choice was perfect. The hotel is finished to a very high standard and the staff go out of their way to be friendly and helpful.
On our last day we were allowed to keep our room for an extra couple of hours and our luggage was then stored ready for collection for our night flight home. We were also shown where we could shower and change ready for our journey home. Fantastic service.
Hopefully one day I will be able to return to Singapore and will definitely stay again at the Hotel Fort Canning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Vivien,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Hotel Fort Canning, I do remember you well talking about your father who may have been based in our hotel in the 1950's, when the British Military took it back after the second World war and used it as part of the British Military Administration.

You have been amazing guests to serve, speak with and listen to.

Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful review of our hotel and the fantastic service you received.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Fort Canning

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Fort Canning Hotel makes you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. The rooms are lovely, pools are beautiful, evening drinks are bliss. The location is magic as it's set amongst Fort Canning Park so lots of lovely walks around. And it is not far from the city, all within walking distance - even in the heat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,

As a senior reviewer, the team and I can only take your review as excellent, and I am extremely happy your experience with us was awesome, from the pool, the rooms and the drinks from 6-8pm daily.

It's great to read that you enjoyed the walk around the park and appreciated our location, in a quiet park, yet a 5 minute walk from Orchard road.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Arrived late afternoon on Singapore's National Day. Hotel very busy but reception staff took the time to explain what was happening, services available, restaurant times, history of Fort Canning then we were escorted to our room where receptionist explained how everything worked. This was very helpful as room ie blinds, lights, air condition and TV etc were touch button operated. Room was very modern , well equipped with an outlook over part of gardens surrounding the hotel.
Restaurants - 3 choices -were all excellent with great food and helpful friendly staff.
The location of the hotel was very central to all that Singapore has to offer. MRT and bus services are a few minutes from the hotel, very easy to use and inexpensive.

The real gem of this hotel is the staff who went out of their way to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. Five days went too fast. but we will return and, based on this experience, will stay at Hotel Fort Canning again.

Many thanks to the management and staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and that our front office team and our staff in general made everything they could to make you feel home.

Thank you so much for your great feedback following your 5-day stay with us,

The team and I truly appreciate the time you took to write your review and to give us a top score.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

It is my first time in singapore having a vication and at least to relax my self, the moment i am thinking where to stay here, first hotel i saw from web is this hotel. I dont know why but i just think its a best place for me to have what i wanted, since from the photo it is very nice and sutable for what i want, i just booked it. But from the moment of my arrival i guy tooked my attention, the way he gave his services its really can admired, from the greeting and how he welcome me as a guest, i can considered that he is well trained and a high person on his job, this staff really makes me special, his a toll guy from the reception area and i think his from phillippines, considered the way of his service and attitude toward his work is well diserving and a very nice guy he really an asset in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Dear guest,

We are so honoured to read such a feedback, I think you are mentioning Jay from Front Office and he is so happy to have impressed you, and so are we.

Our desire to make our guests happy, welcomed, looked after and cared for is being translated into a beautiful service delivery.

I am delighted to hear about your great experience with us, and I thank you for your excellent review,

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The central location is great and the hotel is gorgeous. However, the most impressive thing about the hotel is the service! The care, concern, and assistance provided by the hotel staff was outstanding. The staff treated me as though I was family. Obviously, management vales the service provided by the staff. This hotel is my new best example for outstanding service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear guest,

As I am about to finish my long day at work after chatting with some of our hotel guests in the lounge enjoying their drinks, I read your review, and you made my day!

Your comment "the most impressive thing about the hotel is the service!" is the best I can hear as we are excited to make our guests happy and well served.

Thank you so much for commenting that "the care, concern, and assistance provided by the hotel staff was outstanding", it truly touched me and the team at Hotel Fort Canning.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My friends don't label me diffcult for nothing. But I like to think I just wanted perfect holidays and staycations.

Was here for friend's wedding and a one night staycation. I was initially grumpy with the check-in since we couldn't get our rooms by 3pm and the bride-maids need to be ready at 4. One guy came to save the day. He showed genuine concern and effort to arrange for one of the two rooms booked so that the bride-maids could get ready for the ceremony. It was swiftly done.

We were awed with the room. Very nice deco and bathroom, ultra comfy mattress and pillows. I would have brought them home if it had been easy. I was impressed with the tiniest details HFC and her staff showed upon us. The fine technology with the TV (which comes with Internet access) and controls for lighting and air-conditions, music are the additional touches that kept me busy. I do wish the bellhop who brought me to the room showed me how things work though.

Everything else went smoothly thereafter, the second room was settled (with the request to keep both rooms close. It was not easy since the hotel was packed to the brim).

The complimentry breakfast was at the Glasshouse. Nice place, decent food. But what's worth mentioning was their staff. Particularly Grace. She showed great hospitality and sincerity when hosting us. My tea cup is never less than half empty. (It would be weird to say half full here). The lawn is another great place to chill.

Before we returned to the room, we chatted with the same guy who arranged the first room for us and only to realise that he is the GM of the hotel. Franck was warm and sincere towards us and his guests. If only all the hotels I been to showed us great and sincere hospitality. It was impressed upon me that the people at HFC that made this place different and worth returning.

HFC granted us (really)late check out and it is simply icing to the cake. If you want a place for a place somewhere in town yet looking for some privacy. You may wish to consider here. It does take the buslting of the city away for awhile.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esther_ger

Dear Esther,

Your story is beautiful and the way you wrote it is simply beautiful.

I know we had a little delay when you checked in the early afternoon, I do remember you well Esther and I am so glad we connected during your stay, and even after breakfast in the early morning the next day.

I am glad I could make the "grumpy girl" happy through my "sincere and warm approach".

I am happy that you enjoyed so much this little retreat with us and that you mentioned HFC is "worth returning to".

I have praised Grace for her service at breakfast and have also confirmed her in her job, constructive feedback help us build a stronger foundation and she was extremely excited by both news; your write up, and her confirmation...

All in all, thank you for being so friendly with me and the team and for giving us the chance to repair the waiting time during your check in.

Do keep in touch, and send my regards to your girlfriends...

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We checked in on a very busy day as it is National Day and the number of guests were overwhelming for such a small hotel.We were welcomed by a well groomed and efficient lady who happens to be the front desk service manager and assisted us to check in.She also sent us to our room and explained how everything works!Truly helpful as the lighting and switches of the room are too high tech and you will take time to understand the function of each buttons in what seemed like a big IPod.We loved the big tub in our Deluxe Room and the comfy bed.Evening drinks from 6- 8 pm was crowded and we decided to take our glasses of wine outside the Italian Restaurant instead.Staff would walk around offering canape's and even the doorman replenished our drinks!Breakfast was not really a good spread but the staff were all amazing especially the Chef who makes omelet.We couldn't stay much longer though as there were number of people waiting to be served.Took a while before we could check out but not a big deal except that the old concierge guy was a bit blur when we asked for a taxi.All in all,we would recommend this hotel and we hope to be back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful title and review of Hotel Fort Canning.

Our front desk service manager was delighted to hear she impressed you and I praised her for delivering such a great service.

I am excited to hear that you enjoyed our evening drinks from 6- 8 pm and that the staff were all amazing especially the Chef who makes omelet.

Thank you for recommending our hotel, National Day was indeed a very busy period for us and we have done our very best, I am glad you enjoyed that special day with us.