“Fort excellence”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #34 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed here between 9-13 jan 2013. I was attending the wedding of my son and daughter in law who held their reception in one of the ballrooms. This is a beautiful hotel with amazing, courteous staff who went out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay. Rooms spotless and appointed with all the amenities needed, free in room wifi, large tv with Internet connectivity, nespresso machine, iPod dock/music player, huge comfy bed, comfortable robes, touch panel controls, large tub, separate shower and quality in room provisions, amazing setting and views. The daily breakfast was large, varied and fresh. Make sure you ask the maitre de for your choice of latte or cappuccino as they willingly provide.

A late check out was granted easily and not only was my baggage held but I was given access to all facilities as well as members lounge, showers etc when I returned later that day to prepare for my onward journey.

Yes room service is a little slow at times but a very minor issue compared to the overall impression. Would highly recommend a stay here and will certainly return.

Stayed: January 2013
Hfc_GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Angeegal

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback! We are very pleased know that you had a pleasant stay at Hotel Fort Canning.

We are delighted that you found our room spacious and well-appointed with comprehensive amenities.

Your positive feedback has encouraged and motivated us to do even better. We will certainly be working on improving our room service speed! On your next trip to Singapore, we hope to welcome you back to Hotel Fort Canning.

Yours sincerely
Leslie Pereira

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is an excellent hotel,probably the best we have stayed in,that offers the best of everything.
The rooms are first class,with high speed wifi,large TV with 37 channels to chose from,a superb sound system to plug your iPhone into,this also charges,which is very convenient.There is a large free standing bath,which my wife enjoyed,and a large overhead shower.
Breakfast was excellent,with quality juices and coffee.The little things that make a big difference.The outlook is very pleasant,looking out onto the parkland gardens.
If you want to spend some time around the pool you are in for treat as both pools have the cleanest crystal clear water I have ever seen.
The gym is simply the best I have ever used anywhere.The equipment is first class and all in very good working order.Again you look out onto the parkland gardens.
We had a meal in their Italian restaurant,which was very pleasant and reasonably priced.
Finally,we found the staff very helpful and enthusiastic.
We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank XLPlus

Dear XLPlus

Thank you for your review of Hotel Fort Canning. We are delighted to know that you have described your recent stay with us as “probably the best” you and your wife have had.

Your kind words of praise to the hotel and staff are very much appreciated. Our backyard – Fort Canning Park truly is a gem, you should really come back soon to enjoy it to the fullest!

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely
Leslie Pereira

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The hotel, situated in Fort Canning Park has beautiful views of the city on one side and the park on the other. It is a renovated British Foreign Civil Service building with large staircases and long corridors. In a way, it is a pity that all the balconies have been glassed in to preserve the airconditioning We stayed in an executive room initially which has an efficient but strange layout with thr bed in the middle of the room. Showers are a bit tempremental and you'll know when one of your neighbours is also having a shower at the same time. The staff are superb and the breakfast is brilliant. On our return, we stayed in a normal double room, where the bathroom is actually on the balcony. This does complicate things as you have to have the blinds drawn most of the time. I wouldn't recommend this room to anyone staying more than a night.

Room Tip: Go for a second floor city facing room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Singapore has got many heritage hotels and this is one of them. The best feature of this hotel beside being a heritage building is as follows

It is next to the Fort Canning Park and its surrounding. You love it here if you like parks and be around greenery.

The rooms are very open and modern with all the modern amenities like flat panel TV , Nespresso machine fully electronic switches and even a B&W iPod dock. Layout is a big unconventional but if you crave for something different this is for you. The bed was very comfortable not too soft not hard.

The gym although hard to find is large and very well equipped. The swimming pool is ordinary and nothing special.

buffet breakfast spread is ok. Did not have time to try the restaurants.

Alrhough it is near Orchard it is also not without a bit of walking to get there. Taxi needs to be called as there are very little traffic up to this hotel.

The premier rooms comes with free in room wireless which was fast.

So I would recommend this to those who want to try some thing different from the normal business like type of hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Set in the city but not of the city, Hotel Fort Canning was restored and reconstructed on 2010 to become one of Singapore's most talked about boutique hotel. It has preserved its colonial glamour while injecting it with a modern and elegant touch.

Papa & Mama stayed in the Deluxe Room for this trip and it was amazingly spacious. The cleanliness of the room passed my scrutinizing eyes and the space planning of the room; the positioning of its furnitures are brilliant as well. Of course, the room came with basic amenities and a few luxurious additions like a Nespresso machine, an Internet TV etc

Service of this hotel is impeccable and it makes guests feels important, valued & respected. Papa & Mama fully enjoyed our stay in this hotel :)

For a more detailed review, you can visit www.the-perfect-refuge.blogspot.com and do like our Facebook Page www.facebook.com/theperfectrefuge

Be Blessed Always,
Papa & Mama Refugee

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThePerfectRefuge
Reviewed January 10, 2013

A lovely hotel in the middle of a historical park in the central district of Singapore. Our group of 5 took three Executive rooms all facing the park.
The walk in the Fort Canning park in the morning was excellent. The location is surprisingly central as it only took a 10 minute walk across a skypath to Clarke Quay for a cruise to Marina Bay Sands. The tour of the British bunker during the fall of Singapore located just across from the hotel was very interesting. We only noticed the bunker because people kept coming out of this descript looking metal service door on the hill side directly across from our window.
The walk to the MRT station was a bit more challenging as we had to cross a few streets and a shopping centre car park. The Singapura shopping center on other side of the MRT station was recently enlarged and we enjoyed it because it was more like a suburban shopping centre rather than the ones on Orchard Road although we cannot recommend the relatively expensive buffet restaurant (by Chef Wan?) in the shopping centre as it was probably the worst Malay food we had on the trip. The Japanese section of the restaurant was much better for some reason.
The rooms were excellent in that ceilings were high and the electrical systems were high tech. Two of the rooms had bathrooms to the side and one was an open plan. We liked the open plan but others in our group was not so sure. Basically the TV was in the middle of the room with the bed and the bathroom to either side.
We loved the walk up and down the wide stairway in the middle of the hotel and the free coffee and fruit juices in the lobby.
The staff were friendly but seemed a bit stressed. I did not think the hotel was occupied to near capacity maybe that was the reason.
The breakfast was nice in a lovely setting.
Not much to fault at all. Only thing maybe that taxis charge a call out fee if you pick up a taxi from the hotel.

Room Tip: There are two types of executive rooms. Ask for the non-open plan one if you like to take bath and d...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have known about the Fort Canning Park since I was a kid, and was excited there was a new hotel there to stay when I was back home visiting my parents in Singapore. Unfortunately, due largely to the hotel's incredibly rude and arrogant staff, this was a horrible experience.
I've stayed in luxury hotels all over the world, and am happy to say that I've never experienced anything like this before -- the staff treats you like you don't deserve to stay here or maybe because they only entertain Caucasian guests. I requested for additional bottled water as mine wasn’t replenished. It never came so I had to ask for it three more times until someone handed over to me two bottles very rudely and gave me a dirty look. My guest and I were hungry so we ordered from Room Service. Firstly no one answered my calls after five different times. My guess was they were busy which I understood as it was the festive season. Finally when someone answered my call and said it will take 30-40 minutes for my food as they were very busy. What excuse is that? How is that my fault? The hotel should have prepared themselves for a busy holiday season. How can a hotel try and reduce costs at the expense of causing frustrations to their guests? How is that justifiable? Is that fair? I don't think so!

My view is you should by all means visit this hotel to see the beautiful restored building and its surroundings. A great building, however, doesn't make a great hotel.

Room Tip: city view works
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends