“Vacation ruined by staff's attitude”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #35 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel once before. During my previous visit, I was impressed by the friendly staffs; rooms were clean, modern and stuffed with amenities like a huge TV. However, I was really extremely turned-off during my most recent visit because of very, very poor staff attitude towards me and my wife.

At the check-in counter, we were served by a local tanned lady. Imagine our surprise when she did not even bother to greet us, not even with a simple 'hello', which would suffice. Instead, she merely went through the motions of checking us in without any trace of a smile on her face, which makes us wonder - why is she even in the service industry if she couldn't bother one bit about the guests?

Furthermore, when we went for our breakfast at the hotel restaurant the next morning, we were again given the rude treatment by a female staff. Again, there was no trace of friendliness as she was demanding for our room number. This shocking behavior exhibited by these two staff of this hotel still lingers long in my memory and it really is a waste for the name of this beautiful hotel to be tarnished by uncaring, rude staff.

Well, finally to the owner of Hotel Fort Canning, I do love your Hotel Design.
But if you think you could survive with the Design alone, I wish you a good luck.

Room Tip: Rooms are fine. Staffs are rude.
2  Thank ArchonJeromeKL
Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I just did check out last week just recently, stay at this hotel, and the bedsheet a bit dirty,the bathroom is smell bad (sting) and the closet and floor is dusty. A lot of small bugs inside first checked-in. Did complain to ask the change the bedsheet to the receptionist. But, still the 2nd day, the smell even worse. Ask the engineering to see whether the exhaust runs well turn out to be they just spray air perfume to my bedroom, without checking of the cause. I really do not recommend this hotel. I don't know why tripadvisor reward here travellers choice winner for the service? Not really hygiene hotel with service. Very difference compared the lobby smell good, but the room smell the others. Really bad experience after long day outside, finding out your hotel just like old unmanaged hotel.

Room Tip: Say no to Dusty rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Melatie P
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Only stayed one night enroute from Malaysia to Melbourne but couldn't have been happier. This hotel is in the middle of an oasis! Get up early and go for a long walk through the surrounding gardens. Make sure you see the Spice Garden. There is a sameness to large hotels in big cities. This is just small enough to be personal. Nice touches like no password needed for WiFi and a complimentary bottle of decent red wine. Although we checked out at about noon, the hotel held our luggage until late that day and allowed us to shower and change before our evening flight for no extra charge.
But it is the location on the hill that makes this special. No traffic noise, a view of green trees, places to walk in almost solitude but only a very short walk to the National Museum and the closest train station. If you are looking for relief from crowds and noise stay here.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I expected more from this hotel. After a long day of travel, upon arrival I was asked to wait in reception, where I could "make my own coffee". It was 20 minutes later when I was attended to and taken to my Premier Room. I was not told anything about the hotel, where anything was, etc, and in the room I was shown the master lighting panel and that was all. The porter raced back to reception. The room was fine, not large, but I liked the high ceilings. A nice change. The bathroom was large, but the floors, sinks and walls were all marble and made for a very dangerous, slippery floor after showering. All in all, the room was comfortable enough, but not worth the SNG$370+ I paid for it. The air conditioning was terrible. Did not work well at all, and incredibly noisy. As for the hotel, yes, it has a boutique feel, but service was almost non-existent. I wandered around to find where everything was. I tried the Glasshouse restaurant for dinner and had to see myself to a table. Eventually someone came over and took my order. I was not offered any drinks - at all! So, I didn't bother to order any. The food was extremely ordinary. I only had one night here, the next morning I had to leave at 5.30am for an onward flight. The hotel was good enough to prepare a basic breakfast box for me to take away. A nice touch. My departure was a lot better than my arrival, in terms of service. I found the service was lacking overall, it was too casual, not slick at all which a true boutique hotel has. Maybe it was an off day, but this is Singapore and I expect a level of service that just is not in this hotel. The location was fine, but service is the most important part of the hotel experience and when it isn't there, everything else falls away. I'm afraid Hotel Fort Canning needs a lot of improvement, so I can only rate it as average.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Purchase my stay via deals.com as it was very cheap. Was there to celebrate my girlfriend birthday. Only short fall was upon arrival I was asked to present my voucher whereby I have given it upon making reservation. I am sure they have my records. Delayed caused as I need to search for my voucher in my blackberry.

Upon entering, I was surprised with the sliced birthday cake as I roughly mentioned the purpose of staying here. Well attentive front office staff.

I enjoyed the evening drinks from 6pm to 8pm but was confused as it mentioned on my voucher evening cocktails. Mainly serving wines.

Breakfast was extremely crowded. Selections not great but acceptable.

Overall, I will rate it as well deserved if you are looking for a short retreat.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 25, 2012

What can I say, I had just proposed to my fiancee last Friday in this wonderful hotel. The staff are extremely helpful in helping me make preparations. I liaised with Jasmin Faruk, who arranged for many things to make the proposal beautiful. Firstly, my friends and I stopped by to see the place to ensure that it was suitable for the proposal, and to plan how to do it. Jasmin had arranged for her colleague to show me around the place. Jasmin also suggested their special deluxe garden room, which had its own private garden area, which was the place I used to be finale of the proposal. On the day of the proposal, they had arranged for beautiful decorations in the room and garden area, all free of charge. The proposal would not have been as beautiful as it was if not for all their help!
I think the ambiance of the place is wonderful, it has a rustic garden feel, yet it is modern in its facilities (it had an internet TV, free wifi, electronic curtains that open and close with a button - don't need to get out of bed to let the sun shine in!). The deluxe garden room has an open concept bathtub and washroom, which is a novel touch, suitable for couples. The marble floor however can get very cold with the strong aircon. The aircon for my room was centralised, so it was rather cold for that day (being the rainy season in December).
It had a rainforest shower, which is something I like. The accessories they provided in the room also had an exquisite feel to it.
The private garden had an outdoor bed. Unfortunately, we could not enjoy it because it got wet when it rained in the afternoon. Perhaps build a electronic tentage that can extend over the garden during rainy weather?
All in all, great experience. I would recommend it for couples, solo, or business travellers, since it is well-equiped and located in a central area.

1  Thank Calvin_Travel
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Air conditioning didn't work properly, people could look in, had mosquitoes coming in. Room was tiny and cramped (far too small for 2 adults), tiny bathroom, couldn't sleep because of noise from neighboring room, rude staff (gave me attitude when I told them about the noise & how disappointed I was when they’re not doing anything about it. They claimed I got a 'very good' price and could not expect to get a better room. What crap! Breakfast was shabby. Never again. They should turn it into a museum, not charge a fortune and torture the travellers. This place is not worth a penny to stay in, only if they change the entire staff and management team, I may consider. Then again, Nevermind, It’s ok and No Way!

Room Tip: Bad,Bad,Bad!
1  Thank TimmyT293913