“Upsetting”

Ranked #35 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Upsetting”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Based on my previous nice experience with this hotel, I booked them for a sudden one-nighter. They needed more than two hours to bring an electrical adaptor, gave me a room with malfunctioning bathroom equipment, a badly stained bed sheet and provided a breakfast with unspeakable scrambled eggs. I documented those faults but only got an email saying "we have forwarded your concerns to the respective departments"

Seems they have started to believe their own propaganda.

Room Tip: Check everything in the room before accepting. The food is inedible,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Michigan, North Dakota
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked this hotel as a cheaper – not so cheap - hotel near but walking distance from Orchard road, fooled by the room photos on the hotel's website. The pictures, if not fake, are from some other room than the one I stayed. The corridor smells bad and the room was just full of that foul smell. The standard room is not of standard size, probably smaller and does not deserve this price, not even close. Internet is slow. I believe that this hotel would be well priced at around 100 SGD, and no more, even given Singapore's current high hotel prices.

On another note, upon arrival, despite having given your credit card details, you are asked to pay a deposit for incidentals. Unbelievable, rude, insulting, unique in my experience in the times of the credit card.

Please note that this is the first review I write, because I usually give the benefit of the doubt to hotels. This one deserves neither doubt nor benefit.

Room Tip: Ask for bigger non smelly rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JSMND
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The staffs who entertained us were Filipinos which gave us a very hospitable impact. Rooms are cleaned every time we come back from the convention we attended. Bottled water and shower amenities are replenished everyday. Good service. A very quiet place. No busy scene as we can only see trees in the park. Bad location I should say as it is not accessible to the main streets. We never had any problems during our stay. There are also no staffs in sight in the hallway. Satisfactory. Tons of reading materials provided in the room.

Room Tip: This hotel isn't a "tall building" hotel. If you wanted to have a full view of Singapo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Me and my partner decided to stay in this hotel because of a very good purchased deal on the Internet.We checked in on a very busy day and waited but what can I expect?As it it is advertised for both Groupon and Deals.com deal where we also got our booking.We arrived at the hotel at 2pm and only managed to check into our room at around 2:45.While waiting we enjoyed delicious cakes and the Nespresso coffee at the lobby.Maybe another check in counter should suffice as 2 counters were both overwhelmed with guests and not to mention staffs still have to entertain calls.We were checked in by a polite and efficient front desk lady who also sent us to our room and explained how everything works as the system is not so easy to use.We were surprised to know that the lights and air-condition can be controlled from the television.The 6 pm cocktails was a bit busy and wedding guests were all around the hotel.I think it would be best that the hotel lobby should be isolated for in house guests only as some wedding guests are either waiting at the lobby,walking around or even enjoying the cocktails too.Bed is so comfy and I literally dozed off after taking a quick monsoon shower!Breakfast the next day was normal but the service of the staff compensated it as they tried to accommodate every guests that comes in.They were busy but we understand as the hotel seemed fully occupied.All in all,it was worth an experience for a very good deal.We are now looking forward to come back at this Heritage Colonial building and we will definitely recommend this hotel to all our friends.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Although the location was rather inconvenient (required quite a bit of walking from the nearest MRT station with lots of steps to conquer), the effort is well rewarded with the quiet calm of Fort Canning serving as the hotel's main draw.

Had no issues checking in even though it was a weekend, queues were non-existent. The check-in staff were extremely polite and professional, took only about 5 minutes for us to be cleared and brought to the room.

Room-wise, the layout and decor was good. The bathroom was stunning. Although it might be a little too big, it is a refreshing change from the tiny, cooped up bathrooms of most hotels. Enjoyed the complimentary nespresso and tea, only grouse was that there weren't enough milk creamers to go with them.

Overall, really enjoyed the stay here. Everything about this hotel was great, inside-out. Would definitely like to come back in the future!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My room was only entitled to 1 breakfast when I booked my room for 2 people.
My room faced a large grey wall which overlooked the park and people passing by could look inside. Where is the privacy? This is ridiculous!. The hotel staffs are also unfriendly and rude. They are also unable to give us a satisfactory answer to our enquiries which is extremely frustrating. One of the staff even asked us to show our pass to verify that we are guests of the hotel, what kind of unreasonable service and attitude this is?

Room Tip: Stay anywhere except here. Singapore has other better hotels.
2 Thank JustinaSeymore
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Returning home from a three weeks break around asia. I have seen many hotels destinations in my lifetime and i would say this hotel is the least friendliest and worst hotel by far. The only thing i liked about this hotel was they have done a great job preserving the entire hotel building. It is truly a masterpiece. Everything else in my view is managed by a team of unprofessional people. My troubles started weeks ahead before i set off on my journey. I waited very long at night because of the time differences to speak to the right department about my bookings. Someone picked up my call and transfers the call before i could finish my sentence. The line i was transferred to kept on ringing until it got cut. I tried again and once again the lady transferred my call again without letting me finish my statement. That night i went to bed very very mad. The following weeks were beautiful until i reached Hotel Fort Canning. The taxi drive up there was confusing without proper signages. The hotel's cleaning staffs were at the driveway when we arrived but pretended not seeing us and didnt help us with our luggages. We asked where was the reception the young man looked confused and shaked his head just to say NO. Just as confused we found the reception ourselves and finally after about thirty questions we arrived into our tiny room which did not smell very pleasant. Our luggages arrived and was thrown into the floor another thirty minutes later. We might me old but we are not fools. We rested after a very long flight and took off for a walk. We asked reception what was in and around the hotel but the malayan lady was not very keen to explain. We started walking around on our own and we almost tripped down the very steep and very wet stairways. It could have been deadly if the fall did happen that day. After walking around the park we got lost and returned to our room. Room service was bad. We love asian food but the food was tasteless and very greasy. Our sleep would have been better if not for the noisy chiller. Next morning was beautiful until we reached the breakfast room. There wasn't any food left at 930am. We had to scrape the containers to get some food out and my wife's food had bugs. No one cleared our plates and glasses. By the time we finished our breakfast we had four plates and five glasses on our table. We set out for shopping and returned for the evening drinks. The wines are cheap and the snacks were pathetic. We returned to our room for some tv programmes and early night. Next day breakfast was the same old thing. Finally it was checkout time and we were very happy to leave. Although Malaysia Thailand Indonesia Vietnam are third world countries their people provided warm hospitality and services and our experiences there are no where seen anywhere in this hotel. The management should seriously consider improving on their services in this hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor to stay away from the noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Timothy C
Hfc_GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Timothy C

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Fort Canning. Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to the inconsistencies you experienced during your stay, including room service, staffing shortfalls at the front desk, our front drive, and in our café.

I would like the opportunity to speak to you personally to apologise for these service lapses and encourage you to reach out to me personally at your convenience. I can be contacted at contact@hfcsingapore.com, or alternatively, my office number is (65) 6559 6770. I do look forward to the opportunity to speak to you and to discuss what we can do to welcome you back in the very near future so that we can craft a new true memorable experience for you and your partner.

Yours sincerely,