“nice but with a few minus points”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #39 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Vienna, Austria
“nice but with a few minus points”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed in the Hotel Fort Canning 5 Nights in December 2011. The Rooms and the Hotel were very nice and especially the huge garden sorrounding it was lovley. Unfortunetly the Service was not so good. My room did not get cleaned and I had to tell the roomservice 2 days in a row that my room has not been made (althought it was empty the whole day). Furthermore i really wanted to take a bath but the shower head was broken and the water ran out. When my parents checked out it was nearly impossible explaining the staff, that they wanted to pay for my room as well althought I was staying longer.
The breakfest was nice but nothing special. The rooms were wondefully designed and very quiet (a pleasure while staying in Singapore). Also notable is the location of the Hotel. It is not to far from a MRT-Train Station and near the famous Orchad Road.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hfc_GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Natalie K

Thank you so much for choosing Hotel Fort Canning as your choice of accommodation in Singapore. We are delighted to know that you had a memorable stay with us. It is indeed our pleasure to have had you with us.

Your kind words of praise to the hotel are very much appreciated. Your feedback on various areas have since been investigated and highlighted to the department concern for improvement to be made.

Once again, thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning soon.

Leslie Pereira

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

As experienced travelers having read the reviews we booked 3 nights and checked out after one.
We arrived late evening and ordered room service, the food was good but in the room there was no easy way of eating it as there are no tables or desk at which2 people can eat.
We then tried to turn the lights out and they would not turn off, and had an hour waiting to sleep whilst the technicians tramped thru our room to resets the lighting system and went to sleep at 12.30
The design was difficult to navigate in the dark as the bath sits right next to the bed!
Having been woken up by the laundry staff early the next day(not requested) we went to breakfast.
The juice had run out and fruit was finished with no replenishment forthcoming... Not a good sign for 5 star.... We left and they thief to charge us for a second day...they failed...
Finally the breakfast was light on, having run out of juice and fruit... Not the sign of a 5star hotel.. We left...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 993rs
Hfc_GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear 993rs

Thank you for staying at Hotel Fort Canning, and for your feedback on your stay.

We were dismayed to hear of the unpleasant encounter you have had during your stay with us.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the disturbance and inconveniences caused to you. We have addressed your feedbacks to various departments concerned for immediate improvement to be made.

We hope that these incidents do not mar your memories with us. Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. Should your travel plans take you to Singapore again in future, we hope to have another opportunity to be of service to you.

singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed here on two occasions on 29-31 December on our way to Vietnam and then on 10th January on my way back.

Honestly this hotel has lots of potential to be Singapore's first class hotel but it is let down by it's so called 'hotel policy' which you will see the detail below.

First of all when we checked in on 29 December, I was quite impressed by the hotel decor itself. I myself is a local (Malaysian working in Singapore and living here) and I have stayed in most of the 5* hotels in Singapore. The hotel is nestled in a hill top and I would say it is reasonably well located, with a mere walk of 15 minutes down the hill (and up the hill) to the nearest MRT, although for the physically challenged, I would advise you to stay somewhere else unless you don't mind taking taxi all the time. As a local, I can testify that it is in a good location (near walking distance to the Orchard Road but away for the hustle and bustle), but again 15 mins walk is very subjective, but the hotel policy left a lot to be desired.

Like I say we stayed there for two nights on 29 - 31 December and returned on 10 January because we enjoyed our initial stay. Then it just went downhill from there. We arrived late at the hotel around 8 pm and we requested for a late check-out at 6 pm the next day coz we have a midnight flight. The front desk staff was unsympathetic and totally refused our request, and only granted us 1 pm check-out at best. They told us the hotel is fully booked but if we are willing to pay half day price they allow us to have the room till 6 pm the next day. I told them your hotel is not fully booked coz I can book the room on the spot for next day and it is available so why can't we have the late check out request? The staff then said this is their hotel policy and they need to re-inforce this to ensure returning customers and to keep customers.

Ok let me get this straight. You have us as the returning customers, but you pushed us away by rejecting our late check-out request (where we have a genuine midnight flight out of Singapore the next day) but still talking big about ensuring customers satisfaction and keeping customers? You have in front of you two returning customers whom you cannot even able to retain, why talk about retaining future customers?

The funny part is you told us the hotel is fully booked, but allow us to keep out room till 6 pm if we pay extra half day. So you are telling us that if we are willing to pay, you will tell the next check-in customers that their room is not available till 8 pm (including room cleaning after we checked out at 6 pm) because you are doing us a 'favor' at the expense of other customers? I will let you guys go figure out what exactly their 'hotel policy' means - to get every penny out of their existing customers at the expense of other customers.

Our room rate comes with an evening cocktail which is located at their lobby lounge. I am not sure if all room rates comes with this or only for our rates, but nonetheless you aren't missing anything. The so-called evening cocktail is located at the check-in lobby, a minuscule tiny place with limited chairs and foods, not to mention their wines (no champagne) are nothing memorable. If you decide to rush back to the hotel from your day tour for their evening cocktail, I advise you not to you will regret it.

I am sorry to say - with the hotel's policy effort regarding their late check out to 'retain customers' they have definitely lost us as their future patrons. And I sincerely advise all travelers out there, if you need to request for a late check out due to your impending itinerary, you can forget about it.

Do yourself a favor, pay $50 or $100 more and stay at any of the Grand Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental or Ritz Carlton, it is much more worth it and you will have a wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Omphaloskepsis
Dear Shaunsia

We were dismayed to hear of our service staff insensitive handling of your request and provided inaccurate information. Please accept our sincere apologies for the miscommunications. We have since addressed your feedback with the department concerned for immediate improvement to be made.

We would like to clarify that the hotel was indeed running high occupancy during the period of your stay. Regrettably, we were unable to accede to your request on late check out till 6pm, due to our limited room inventory. Being an 86-room boutique hotel, we are equally saddened that we have to turn down some of our guests’ request.

We would also like to explain that according to the hotel policy, request on late check out is subject to availability. In this case, our service staff has offered a late check out till 1pm the next day. As we have to make provision for our in-house guests who might request for extension of stay. For late check out till 6pm, a 50% of room rate will be imposed, just like any other hotels.

We seek you understanding on our limitation. We are utterly saddened for the inconveniences caused to you. We hope that this incident does not mar your memories with us.

However, your compliments to the hotel and its surroundings are much appreciated.

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at HFC over the New Years - it's a nice, modern and clean hotel with great service and conveniently located. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very spacious; the gym had really good equipment and was very big. Will definitely be back!

4 Thank Allison l
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

After 50 trips to Singapore staying mostly at the Four Seasons (which is lovely), and the Hyatt (which is good), I just checked into what has to be the best hotel in Singapore yesterday for the first time. Hotel Fort Canning is gorgeous. I only have the most basic room, and it is huge, quiet, has a separate lovely bathroom with deep bath and a gorgeous outlook. I find out when I check in that breakfast is included (amazing breakfast with all food so hot and fresh), free drinks Inc French champagne from 6 pm til 8pm, and free WIFI. The pools are amazing and the restaurants are spectacular. I will never stay anywhere else now, Hyatt can keep their points, this place is worth staying at just for the experience!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank AussieBizTraveller
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

Before my stay at this hotel, I was very excited since I was expecting a plesant stay at a nice colonial style place that's located in the city center. First day, I needed to iron a shirt so I had to call the front desk/operator/house keeping/concierge, but no one ever picked up the phone until I dialed 7-8 times to different departments. Then first evening, no hot water! I was too tired to ask. Second day, still no hot water, so I finally got a hold of someone at the front desk via the phone. He said he will send someone. Waited waited waited, no one... Took a cold shower. Went down to talk to the front desk. He promised to get someone to fix it. So yay! Hot water on 2nd night. Third day, morning... it seems no hot water again but I could wait til night. At 11pm at night, got back to my room and found out there is no hot water again! It took the staff a long time to fix it... water splashed all over the floor...
Oh well, at least I get to shower.
Having stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, I have to say staffs are nice and polite, but not quite accessible. Problem with hot water, and the really small table in the bathroom without face-mirror is not really lady-friendly. The small travel-size bottles just fell off the table so easily!
Nice environment, but again... don't expect too much from here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Avignon/ France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Its the 4 th time I am visiting Singapore and used to stay in Mandarin Oriental and my favorite Shangri-La. Both hotels were completely booked for Christmas and I decied to book Hotel fort canning, a nice boutique hotel located at the top of the park Fort canning. I was not disappointed. Nice location, very quite place, Very comfortable room with all modern appliances, huge bathroom. Amazing swimmingpool. Staff just ok. Considering its a boutique hotel I was very satisfied to stay there 4 days and 3 nights.

Room Tip: choose a room with view of the city