“Good Peranakan Food”
Review of Candlenut

Candlenut
Reserve with OpenTable
Candlenut is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #357 of 11,571 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Asian, Singaporean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The world’s first Michelin-starred Peranakan restaurant, Candlenut takes a contemporary yet authentic approach to traditional Straits-Chinese cuisine. The restaurant serves up refined Peranakan cuisine that preserves the essence and complexities of traditional food, with astute twists that lift the often rich dishes to a different level. Helmed by chef Malcolm Lee, Candlenut is committed to continually create inspired and elevated Peranakan dishes using the freshest seasonal produce available.
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Visited this restaurant over restaurant week. The food was generally average based on the 5 of us choosing different set menus for lunch. The beef rendang was excellent. They should make an effort to serve the rice hot as the cold rice was dry. The chendol was absolutely delicious. Pricing was fairly reasonable.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Food are well prepared. Service is good. Highly recommended the satay, beef randeng, coconut prawn. The dessert is very nice too.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Was visiting a friend in Singapore and she had suggested this place. Turned up with a reservation for 6 but only 4 of us which was no problem. Sat down at our table and were only given 3 menus? Had to ask for another. One of our party was thirsty so asked if they could have a glass of water to the person seating us,who acknowledged, then went away and brought a glass. After a while another member of staff came and took our drinks order. Seemed quite know as he wrote down the order but then wasn't sure what he had written on his pad when he went over our drinks with us. We order quite a few items off the menu, Yeyes kari, the banana leaf fish, sweet potato leaves etc. when one of our dishes, a salsa like dish which you spoon into pastry like cups, we found a hair in it! Flagged down a member of staff, with some effort despite waving our hand and shouting "excuse me", who took it away and asked of we would like another one. No real apology or anything, the only reassurance we got was that chef checked three times on the knew one. We got our drinks and food which I will say was very tasty and looked fresh. The table then wanted some water so asked a member of staff who brought over a bottle and just planted on the table. Didn't even offer to pour it. We noticed that the table next to us also had to keep flagging members of staff down too. Overall, food is really interesting and tasty. Service could do with a little more work especially when you automatically pay 10% service charge.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

- Food was delicious, but portions weren't big.
- Service was friendly.
- The place itself is clean, comfortable, spacious and contemporary.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Set inside the Dorsett Residences just outside of Chinatown, Candlenut has a nice location and a contemporary ambience.

I'd like to begin by suggesting that I'm not prone to hyperbole or drama. I don't look for a problem and generally am fine with minor errors and grievances during my dining experiences.

Our family of five just finished eating at Candlenut. The food was actually quite good - we tried a variety of the curries. The Tumeric Chicken Wings were also great.

That said, we suffered the worst service I've ever experienced in a lifetime of eating meals at great restaurants all around the world. To the point where I became personally offended at the treatment and we finally got up and left.

Recommended by the concierge at the Ritz-Carlton where we are staying - they will surely hear our experiences so they don't send anyone else there in the future.

At every turn during the meal, it was our job to flag someone down for service. We waited 20 minutes before being acknowledged, and only then did the woman ask if we've ordered yet. We said no - we haven't seen anyone could place a drink order. Another 15 minutes would go by before we could flag down a different person who then would take our lunch order. We tried seven or eight dishes. When we needed more sparkling water due to the heat of the food, we had to flag someone down. When we needed another glass of wine, we had to flag someone down.

We were completely and utterly ignored. There were no apologies. We were inconsequential. The place was not overly busy and staff was standing around talking to each other. Not one time did anyone come check on us to see if we needed anything else. We had to find someone at each turn.

Both my wife and I felt like it may have been intentional. We are not locals and perhaps there was an element of discrimination. As I mentioned, I'm not one for hyperbole - but the staff at Candlenut could not have done less. It was offensive and I was embarrassed in front of our kids.

I finally walked to the front desk and paid the bill, letting the woman know that the service was not only bad, but we felt that whatever was going on was intentional. She said it wasn't and they had new staff. We were the last table left in the restaurant for the final 40 minutes of our meal and still couldn't get any service.

Too bad. The food was good. If you are not a local, I wouldn't take a chance of visiting Candlenut.

4  Thank Greg B