“Great location, good design, but...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wanderlust

Wanderlust
Ranked #95 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Great location, good design, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel is situated in Little India district (SIN) and is between 2 metro stations (Bugis and Little India), so nothing to worry about. Especially if you arrive via Airport you don't have to switch trains. It's clean, charming, but the rooms on the 1st floor are quite small. Beware, if you have bulky luggage it's a problem. Another problem is the color. Too pink for my taste, it looked like a brothel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hercoolgr
UnlistedCollection, Marketing Executive at Wanderlust, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear hercoolgr,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback.

We are glad to hear that you found the location of convenience during your stay. As Wanderlust is a listed heritage building, some rooms are relatively compact. However we do have 3 categories of rooms with varying layout, sizes, and each are designed by different designers.

Perhaps during your next trip, you would like to try our other room categories such as the Mono rooms and Whimsical Lofts which are larger in size and carries a different theme (and colour). Alternatively, you might want to consider our sister property, New Majestic Hotel which is located in the historic Chinatown which is centrally located and of equal travelling convenience.

We hope to be able to have you stay with us again the next time and should you be travelling to London, do visit our other sister properties – Town Hall Hotel & Apartments, One Leicester Street and 196 Bishopsgate.

Yan Goh
Marketing Executive
Unlisted Collection: Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Geelong, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I researched extensively on TA and settled on Wanderlust, lured by the quirky design and little extras like the Nespresso coffee machine, free minibar and Kiehl’s toiletries (they no longer have the latter). We were in Singapore for a 4 night stay at the end of our SE Asia holiday, so I figured it was worth the extra dollars to stay in the most expensive room type; the loft room. Big mistake.

We were shown to our room and I honestly felt like crying. I was expecting comfortable and spacious - the room was tiny, impractical and poorly designed. I couldn’t believe I was paying $278SGD a night for this place (and on our last night the rate was climbing to a whopping $298 - on a Monday night!) We like quirky and different but we don’t believe in form over function. And I resent paying 5 star prices for a budget hotel that is not even comfortable. Within 30 minutes of checking in I got on a last minute hotels website and booked us in for a 2 night stay at the Fairmont. For considerably less cost we got a spacious, luxurious room with 5 star hospitality, in a lovely area of Singapore. My only regret is that we didn’t check out of Wanderlust after one night. Here are my thoughts on our 2 night stay:

- taxi drivers have never heard of Wanderlust, our driver thought we were saying “One dollar hotel”….very cheap, he said! He drove around in circles for 20 mins before I found it.
- Little India is a great place for dining but not to stay - females will be ogled and leered at in the most disgusting manner, even when dressed modestly. Do not even think about walking the streets alone. On weekends in particular large groups of men will congregate down side streets, there is not a woman or child in sight and at times we were the only westerners walking past a couple of hundred Indian men, very disconcerting.
- one small window in the room provides a view of a dirty alley and nearby road construction.
- the designers of these rooms should be made to stay in them, it might make them realise that cupboards, shelves, hooks and wardrobes make for a comfortable stay. Then they should be frog-marched to the nearest Ikea to learn how to make practical use of small spaces.
- the poorly designed bathroom has a drainage problem so that water goes everywhere over the floor, so you mop it up with a towel then there is nowhere to hang your wet towel.
- on day 1 we were getting ready to go out for the day when housekeeping knocked on our door. We said we would be leaving in 5 mins. We returned 5 hours later and the room hadn’t been made up, so we went out again for a walk, came back hot and bothered just wanting a shower and rest before dinner. The room had been made up but they had forgotten to give us towels. After a request for towels the maid returned 15 mins later with the most threadbare towels I have ever seen.
- when we finally lay down for a pre-dinner siesta housekeeping were vacuuming outside in the hallway for over an hour. (The hallway was tiny, how could this possibly take an hour?) And just when the vacuum stopped we were disturbed by a couple in a nearby room engaged in a very long and rowdy sex session. We consoled ourselves with the thought that we were leaving the next morning.
- the doors have no soundproofing at all, so you are constantly disturbed by people coming and going from nearby rooms so much that while we were in bed I thought there were actually people downstairs in our room.
- no hot water, they seem to have the temperature limited so you can’t adjust it. This is ok if you want a quick refreshing splash but when I washed my hair in the morning it was really unpleasantly cool.
- the ‘living space’ has no couch, just a hard, almost straight-backed bench seat which we dubbed the ‘bus stop’. I had a sore back after sitting there for 10 mins.
- the steps up to the loft are steep and narrow, even with my tiny feet I had to place my feet sideways on the steps. This made for dangerous night-time toilet visits.
- the loft itself is a mattress on a platform with only a tiny space either side, meaning one person must climb over the other to get into bed. If you don’t fancy climbing over your partner you could step over but watch out for the loops of electrical wire hanging down from the so-called designer light fitting, you could either throttle yourself or get electrocuted. How this place passed building code I will never know.
- it might have been a nice idea to have a night light or dimmer switch so that you could walk down the steps during the night without turning all the lights on, but as I said this place is all about form over function and such practicalities don’t matter here. We ended up sleeping with the (very bright) bathroom light on downstairs.
- breakfast was terrible. Not sure what you do to scrambled eggs to turn them into something that tastes nothing like egg but they somehow managed to achieve it. We had to ask the waitress to fill up the juice dispenser and she begrudgingly added about 4cm of juice. They give you an order slip to choose one of 3 dishes; fruit salad, pancakes or eggs, bacon and hash browns. Help yourself to pastry or cereal, neither of which I can eat being coeliac. Then the couple next to us ordered 3 dishes between the 2 of them. It would have been nice to know you could do that, it would have provided me with some more options.
- there was a huge function on one of the nights we stayed, the whole downstairs area was cleared out and blocked off. Would have been nice to be advised of this too.
- very ordinary customer service. The reception staff were happy to oblige and order us a taxi for when we checked, but couldn’t care less that we stood at the front door for 20 minutes waiting for a taxi that never turned up. They had our money after all.

The only good thing I can say about Wanderlust is that the bed was comfortable. So if you are single male, staying for one night, like something quirky and different and have very little luggage, Wanderlust may appeal to you but to be honest I can't understand how this place gets so many positive reviews. The title of my review says it all really. And I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Fairmont again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mrs_smith1368
Dear Mrs Smith,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback and experience which we greatly value.

We would like to apologise that your stay with us fell short of expectations as we consistently strive to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. Your experience is by no means our usual practice and we have shared your detailed feedback with the rest of the Team to better improve ourselves.

With its quirky and unconventional designs and layouts, Wanderlust is unlike your typical hotel. Being in a conservations shophouse, space is indeed very much a constraint. Each floor is individually designed by a different local design agency, and every level bears its own unique theme. As such, we understand that Wanderlust may not be for every traveller.

Perhaps the next time you are in town, we could have you try, New Majestic Hotel, our sister property on the next street. With bigger rooms and a gym and outdoor pool as its facilities, we think you might enjoy it more.

Yan Goh
Marketing Executive
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We recently stay here at Wanderlust hotel on the recommendation of our travel agent. He said something different, something quirky, not the norm. We'll he was right in both a great way and also slightly less great.
So let me explain.
As it was the Grand Prix weekend we had booked and had to pay in full virtually 12 months ago to secure the booking. I get that, not an issue however be warned everywhere puts their prices up almost double for this weekend so just a watch out.
We booked a mono room on the 3rd floor as the Pantone rooms looked a little small for us.
We arrived really early, around 8am due to our overnight flight from the UK so expected to not have a room available. They pointed us in the direction of a large restroom for us to change and get a freshen up wash then left our cases with them before heading out to find breakfast. Staff on reception very nice and helpful.
As the heat was pretty oppressive we decided to head back to the hotel at around 11am and just chill out in the airconned reception til we could check in at around 2pm.
However the room had been vacated by the previous occupier, cleaned and we could check in.
Result!!
Also a complimentary upgrade to a mono- delux room. Thank you kindly.
We were shown to our room and all the amenities explained, didn't take long as the rooms are not massive, but more than meet our needs for 3 nights.
So let's talk about the good...
Room spotlessly clean, great friendly staff and really helpful with advice, requests and printing tickets etc.
The bed is really comfy and a great nights sleep was had every night ( maybe we were just shattered after the Grand Prix events)
Complimentary mini bar (soft drinks) is a really winner in such an expensive city along with the Nespresso machine.
Good hot water and water pressure even late at night.
The hotel provide ear plugs due to outside noise but to be honest we didn't hear much at all and didn't use them. We were on the front corner so expected some but nothing.
Housekeeping quick and effective, a good job all round along with a smiling face.
Small jacuzzi on floor two made for a refreshing dip in the afternoon before hitting the city.

The food is a tale of two sides so as we are talking positives I'll go for the lunchtime offering at cocotte.
Not a lot to chose from on a Sunday unless you want a chicken dinner and a couple of alternatives which we didn't. Then we spotted a staple, Steak and Fries. Delightfully cooked, juicy and tasty steak. Fries and green beans with paprika butter. We'll worth the money and a must try.
To be honest the Chicken dinner to share looked good on the next table too. Just be weary on your table location as the aircon can be directly onto you and steak gets cold quickly.

Now for a couple of less good points.
Breakfast.. Starts badly with communal dinning, by this I mean large tables with upto 10 place settings and you choose where to sit within this. Not a table of your own unless you are a very large party. So depending on the time of your visit you could be alone or you could be sitting next to a total stranger. Not my idea of fun or what I want when eating breakfast or any meal come to it.
I want my own table, my own space.
The breakfast offering considering the cost of the rooms is pretty poor to be honest, 1 juice (orange), one pot of tea and one pot of coffee on a hot plate to serve yourself. A toaster to make your toast with tiny slices of bread or brioche I think.
You fill in the coupon on the table and your order is prepared, granted it's prepared fresh so a redeeming feature here. Choice of a cooked bacon/egg/omelette or sausage/egg. Or fruit and youghurt or pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. That's your lot and a couple of croissant/ pain au chocolat.
As I said all served with a smile and fresh cooked but just not great at the price.

Location. Just a small note here, they are building an MRT station no more than 30 metres from the hotel. Just bear this in mind. Little India is not swish downtown Singapore. It is as the name suggests little India. That's all I am saying.

I guess the real test is would I recommend Wanderlust?
Well if you want a funky looking, comfy bed in Singapore then yes, but just be aware it's not perfect there are flaws but it's not the end of the world. If a little expensive for what it is.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
UnlistedCollection, Sales Executive at Wanderlust, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear I_Hate_Mushrooms,

Greetings from Wanderlust Hotel!

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you during your visit to Singapore. We also appreciate you taking time to write us a constructive feedback. As the restaurant observes a communal setting, we are disappointed to hear that you did not truly enjoy your breakfast experience. We hope we made it up with our impeccable service.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. Should your travel plans take you to Singapore again in future, we hope to have another opportunity to be of service to you.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I loved this hotel. Stayed in one of the Mono rooms – I had requested when booking one of the larger Mono rooms and I don’t think was taken into account as I got one of the small internal facing rooms.
As we didn’t have a lot of luggage the size was fine – great shower, funky design and the most amazing bed…honestly it was like sleeping on a cloud!!
Two things annoyed me about the room… although the lighting is funky I’d still like some bedside lamps to read with rather than having to have the main lights on. Also the window looked into the courtyard….where the glass lift was. I’m pretty sure on more than one occasion people in the lift (or room opposite) saw more of me than they wanted to. Some net curtains (even if only waist height) would be appreciated.

Other than that I loved the vibe of the hotel - it reminded me of London hotels or something you would find in Berlin. Breakfast was great and we had an amazing lunch in the restaurant…which I thought was good value.

Location excellent – I really liked the Little India setting as it’s more interesting than a lot of Singapore which I found to be a bit sterile and boring (how many Shopping centres does one city need!!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear farmerdj,

Greetings from Wanderlust!

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We do apologise that you were not able to get your preferred room as room requests are subject to availability. Your feedback is valuable as it will help us improve our product. We are, however, very glad that you enjoyed the bed and liked our colourful and vibrant location.

We have a few properties in London, namely; Town Hall Hotel & Apartments, 196 Bishopsgate and the latest addition to the Unlisted Collection family, One Leicester Street. Do swing by if you are around that area!

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I visited Singapore in June this year and stayed in the tree-house room with my sister. The room was relatively small but the design was fantastic. Staff were very helpful and kind and breakfast options were delicious. However, the one downside was that the suburb of Little India itself isn't a particular clean or safe area during the night, so I suggest travelling via taxi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear ErikaUnsworth,

Greetings from Wanderlust!

Thank you so much for your feedback. The team at Wanderlust is glad that we were able to extend our hospitality to you. Being in a conservation building, we recognize that some of our rooms may be more compact than others.

If location is a factor for you, perhaps you might want to try our sister hotel, New Majestic located in Chinatown. It is a stone's throw away to the nearest train station which gives you access to the many places of interest.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We spent the evening in wanderlust after being massively let down by the hotel opposite. Opposite is truly what these hotels are and I am delighted to say that this small boutique hotel hit all the right notes for me. The staff are incredibly helpful, knowledgable and friendly. The decor of the lobby is interesting and eye catching. Our room (the tree) was beautiful with leaves adorning the ceiling and steps leading up to a amazing comfy bed. A deep bath and rain shower are excellent and the complimentary goodies are fantastic. This hotel may seem a little pricey for the location but I urge you to spend a little more on your accommodation it affects everything else you do here. This hotel is as unique as Singapore and it is another amazing memory for me!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear jessica_1983,

Warm hellos from sunny Singapore!

Thank you for your kind feedback and taking time to draft it out. The team at Wanderlust is very pleased that you had a memorable stay with us and that you enjoyed yourself in Singapore!

If you happen to be in London, do swing by our sister property, Town Hall Hotel & Apartments, 196 Bishopsgate and our latest addition to the Unlisted Collection family, One Leicester Street!

We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Grenzach-Wyhlen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you are looking for something a Little different then I can definitely recommend the Wanderlust. The reception/bar area is 'decorated' with an eclectic collection of furniture (Dentist chairs!!) and memoriabilia, whilst the rooms follow a colour theme.
We stayed on the first floor in the 'yellow' room, which was bigger than most on this floor having a bath and shower. The other rooms looked quite samll, but I was told the rooms on the second floor (which apparently are all black and White) are bigger. But it was only for two nights, so not a Problem.
The staff were very friendly and helpful even allowing us to have breakfast when we arrived (as we arrived very early) rather than on our day of departure.
The Hotel is in the Little India district, about 15 minutes walk from Orhard Road, but could be another world as it is nothing like the 'Shopping center' experience you get there.. If you are looking for someone different, but still very clean and comfortable then I can definitely recommend the Wanderlust Hotel, but if you a looking for a Sheraton or Hilton equivalent, then Play safe (and be boring) and book the Sheraton.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are supposed to be a bit bigger than those on the first (unless you ge...