“Excellent stay”
Review of Wanderlust

Wanderlust
Ranked #116 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed in Wanderlust Hotel inJune 2012 in line with a surprise birthday celebration for my partner. Initially I wanted to book the Whimsical but I thought that since it is my first stay, I should try the Pantone room first to experience considering that the Whimsical is of a higher price. I have been a fan of loft concept, which I have stayed in Studio M several time but due to bad experience I have stopped making reservation there.
I must say that the staff is definitely accommodating and proactive, the night before I called up to check if I could have early Check-In but the staff told me they are unable to confirm as they are running on full occupancy. I did not mind at all as I was just checking to see if I could arrive earlier to decorate the room for the surprise. But in the morning they gave me a courtesy call to bring me good news that the room is ready.
Check-In was smooth, they know how to work well and at the same time not too formal, something I like about boutique hotel. The staff then went up to show me the room and amenities, really helpful and I am so glad I got the room color which I had requested for. The other colors of the rooms are nice, just that the color get to glaring for us as we spend most of our time in the room. We had the second floor, the same level as the Jacuzzi. A pity we did not spend must to explore the hotel, but rest assured I will definitely return for the Whimsical next time.
Amenities is 2 thumbs up! I am a fan of Kiehls product so I absolutely love it! I love the room size, even though the Pantone may be the smallest room in the hotel, it is definitely spacious and big enough for 2.
Breakfast is good! Love how the breakfast works but the staff could better improve in such a way that when we arrive for breakfast, ask for our room number and explain how the breakfast is set up. Like normal hotels it is a buffet breakfast but for Wanderlust, it is semi buffet breakfast in which you order the set that you would like and the Chef will cook it for you. We did not know this of course, we thought that it was chargeable. We had breakfast inclusion in the room but no one explained how the breakfast work like. Perhaps they could improve on this. The way the menu is placed on our table with indication of price seems like we have to pay for it. But actually it is for guests who does not have breakfast inclusion. They had pork bacon, and as they knew I am a Muslim the staff offered a replacement which is the chicken sausage(applause for that!) really courteous. But the other staff who served us the food, gave us the pork bacon. Before I could eat it, 1 of the staff alerted me and apologized that they served the wrong table. They then gave me the right food choice and provide fruit platters with a yogurt top on complimentary basis for the blunder. But nonetheless, my partner and I are fine as long as we have not bite it. It was not a big deal, but we were touched by their gesture 
Check-Out was smooth, I had late check-out till 1PM thank you for that. All in all we enjoyed our stay and will definitely return for the Whimsical!

2  Thank nina n
UnlistedCollection, Guest Relations Manager at Wanderlust, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear nina n,

Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!
Thank you for your kind compliments.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel, as well as the amenities provided.

Thank you also for your feedback about breakfast. It has been looked into and addressed with the relevant departs. I would also like to apologize for the little confusion during your breakfast, but I’m glad you had a pleasant breakfast nonetheless.

Each level of the hotel is done up by a different local design agency in Singapore, and we are proud to have their works showcased within the hotel. Do request for a different themed room the next time you visit, so that you may experience more of Wanderlust!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nice base to explore Singapore if you want something out of the ordinary and are bored by cookie cutter hotels! his place has lots of character, they have done a great job of fitting a functional hotel room in a small space with some innovative touches - like the freestanding glass boxes around the shower and toilet. . The nespresso machine, iPod dock clock radio and the free mini bar are nice touches. Breakfast was good but I would like more fresh fruit!.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Keith J
UnlistedCollection, Guest Relations Manager at Wanderlust, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Keith J,

Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!
Thank you for your kind compliements,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel as well as the amenities provided.

With regards to your feedback regarding more fresh fruit, it has been looked into and addressed with the relevant departments.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Travelled from 1st June to 6th June 2012. I chose Wanderlust, after finding here on TripAdvisor and do not regret staying here at all! It is without a doubt one of the most unique and hospitable hotels we have every stayed in. We arrived late on the 1st June, about 11pm. We were personally escorted to our room and shown the facilities. Free Wi-fi in room was great. Complimentary soft drinks and bottled water each day. Loved having the Nespresso machine at the foot of the bed, we woke up each morning and had a coffee in bed while watching the local soapies! As mentioned in many reviews here, each level has been designed by local architects, we stayed in the Pink room on level 2. Very funky and chic. Loved that it was unique. Beds are SOOO comfortable, not the typical hard beds you normally find throughout Asia. Like many others, lamented over the lack of space to place luggage, but the rest of the features of the room and hotel made up for this small oversight. Breakfast was included in the deal and was excellent. Did not eat at Cocotte restaurant, but it was very busy and I believe its the 'IN' place to be for many locals at the moment. There is a very funky Jacuzzi area on level 2. Every night we had a vodka and spa to wind down after a big day walking. Cannot understand why we were the only ones using it!!!

Hotel is located in Little India. Area is a little grungy, compared to the rest of Singapore, but it was vibrant and humming at all hours. Area has many backpacker hostels so there are plenty of drinking holes and cheap cafes in the immediate area. 10min walk to 2 MRT Stations, made it very convenient for getting around. 15min walk to the amazing Mustafa 24hr Shopping Centre and 10min walk to the trendy and chic Arab Quarter.

I have seen some reviews about the cafe in the alley along side the hotel and how noisy it is. I am a light sleeper but found that was not an issue for me at all. Hotel provides ear plugs, but I had my own anyway. With the use of these I was able to sleep through with no problems.

What impressed me most about the hotel was the staff and their standard of service. It was excellent. On our last day we had 10pm flight. Hotel offers an extended check out to 6pm at a cost of half the normal going rate. We debated about taking this offer, but figured that we could spend the day wandering around Singapore before coming back to hotel to get a shuttle bus to airport. We checked out at 10am and stored our luggage. But after wandering around for a few hours, I was done in and we headed back to hotel at about 2pm, to hang out in the foyer until bus arrived. We had not long sat down, when we were approached by one of the staff, and offered free use of one of their empty rooms, until the bus picked up at 7pm. I was floored! Never had I had such wonderful service as this. We were able to shower and have a snooze before flying back to Australia. This level of service was the best we have ever experienced ANYWHERE. Even some of the 5 star hotel chains we have stayed in over the years have not given us any where near the kind of treatment as Wanderlust have for us. This alone would have been great, but their overall service and friendliness has me still talking to anyone who will listen. I cannot recommend Wanderlust highly enough for your stay in Singapore. If we ever go back, will definitely be staying here again

6  Thank Nicole G

Dear Nicole G,

Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!
Thank you for your kind compliments.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel, as well as what the surroundings have to offer. The vibrant and culturally rich area in which the hotel is located, adds to the charm and uniqueness of Wanderlust.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and amenities, which the hotel had to offer, as well as finding our staff and service excellent. Guests’ comfort and satisfaction are of our utmost priority and I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The hotel is in an interesting area, quirky and fun with helpful staff. We had one of the colour themed rooms, and it was very attractive, but very small. There was nowhere to put suitcases out of the way, the bed (up a few steps) was most easily entered by walking on the bed (essential for the person on the far side), the coffee machine quite literally had to be operated from in the bed, and the toilet was separated from the bed only by a pane of frosted glass. It was great for a one night stay, but I think for longer, it would have become very annoying. TIP: Try to avoid the brown taxis at the airport. We got ripped off by one of the brown ones. I knew I was being ripped off, but when getting out in a one way, single lane street with a quene of cars behind, there is little time to argue. The blue taxis seem reliable. Others may be as well.

1  Thank kpossum1
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear kpossum1,
Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!

I am pleased that you found our hotel quirky and fun and enjoyed your night’s stay with us.

Housed in a conservation building, we do admit that the rooms at Wanderlust are a tad on the smaller side. However, we had to the best of our abilities, fit it with the conveniences and needs of a modern traveler. We do have a sister hotel, New Majestic Hotel, that might be more viable for your future stays.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We loved the Wanderlust, so much so that we booked to stay an additional night at the end of our break in Singapore. Front desk staff were excellent, really helpful and informative, always willing to help out, give transport tips etc. We had some fairly complicated logistics for onward travel, luggage storage, late check-out etc, and all requests were met with a friendly 'yes, of course.' - Service as it should be - above and beyond.

We also loved our room - a black & white ‘Princess’ one on the 3rd floor. Also we were fortunate enough to stay one night in another black and white room, but with an Origami theme. Colour changing LED lighting was great! Beds were VERY comfortable. So much so it was hard to wrench ourselves out of them in the morning. Housekeeping staff were all without excpetion kind and hepful.

Amenities-wise, we appreciated free wireless internet access (For one device per room, a bit limiting at some points), daily stocked fridge with free soft drinks, quality Kiehls toiletries and Nespresso machine. The 'Itinerary' notebook we were given on arrival with tips and local info, as well as blank note pages, was well-used and much-loved as our travel journal. A nice touch - thank you Wanderlust for this cool souvenir!

Breakfast was great - again friendly and efficient staff, a good buffet, and a well executed selection of hot breakfast dishes. Pancakes were delicious and coffee was great. It is served in 'Cocotte', the Hotel's French restaurant. We didn't dine there in the evening but wished we had as the menu looked good, and it always seemed busy.

We really liked the outdoor Jacuzzi pool and sun lounger area on the second floor, and spent a few hours here one evening chilling out with a G&T or two! Great after a busy and hot day sight-seeing. It didn’t seem to be used by other guests – we felt like it was our private roof garden.

Some reviewers have commented about the location - Dickson road in Little India is lively and colourful; the hotel is a chilled out haven on the fringes of it all. Taxis are cheap and readily available unless there is a sudden downpour! The Metro station is a short walk away and fairly easy to find. Curry at one of the local restaurants was a holiday highlight.

If we had any minor criticisms at all, perhaps funky design was higher on the agenda than practicalities such as bedroom storage space when this hotel was conceptualised. We pretty much lived out of our bags for the week, but this was not a real issue for us. There was a small wardrobe with hanging space, but not much for two adults. The fun and unique design of the room made up for it though, so no major worries there. Also the frosted glass WC and shower cubicles instead of a ‘proper’ hotel bathroom may not be appreciated by everyone. A good idea to make use of space though. Always great to see innovative design in hotels, rather than the bog-standard (Pardon the pun) configuration with bland design. So again, well done to Wanderlust for breaking the mould and daring to be different.

We would go back definitely, and try out another theme of room. We would love it if The Unlisted Collection opened one of their great hotels in Edinburgh – it would be a sure-fire hit!

Wanderlust is well worth a visit if you are staying in Singapore – great value, great team, intereseting bedrooms and delicious food. Thumbs up all round...

Room Tip: Black & White rooms are great, aware some are more compact than others depending on their locati...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AGM78
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear AGM78,
Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!

Thank you for your generous compliments.
We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as what the surrounding area had to offer. Guests’ comfort and satisfaction are of our utmost priority and I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations.

We will definitely take up your tip on opening a hotel in Edinburgh if the opportunity arises.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stay for one night just for the experience. Was fascinated by the retro deco and individually themed rooms. Stayed on the fourth floor where my room was jungle themed with loft bed like a treehouse and fake decorative leaves on the ceiling. There was a coffee maker with nespresso coffee provided and even an iPhone dock. 2 tvs were provided - one at the bedside and seating area so you could watch in bed or at the sofa. Best part I like is all the beverages were complimentary! There is a small jacuzzi at level 2 for guests but the water strangely wasn't warm enough. We skipped it.

There is a complimentary breakfast the next morning at the French restaurant at level 1. Luckily if not it would cost $25++. A semi buffet breakfast with cereal and beverages free flow and one main course. Food was not bad actually.

Overall quite a nice exp

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank chewkoksheng
UnlistedCollection, Guest Relations Manager at Wanderlust, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Dear chewkoksheng,
Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!

Thank you for your kind compliments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Each level is done by a different local design agency in Singapore, and we are proud to have their works showcased within the hotel. Do request for a different themed room the next time you visit, so that you may experience more of Wanderlust!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Checked in for two nights at Wanderlust in Little India. Check in was quick and efficient. We were given our requested room (Black Pantone). Room rate was quite good (although was annoying having preauthorisation of 50% taken off my credit card 4 days before arrival, and then another full authorisation taken when checking in - paid cash to settle on bill upon check out thus have paid almost 3 times value of the room until the credit per authorisations are cancelled)

The room was nice - bigger than expected, and had a window looking out over the spa area. The bed was amazingly comfortable! The shower was great, rainfall shower head. Everything in the mini bard (juice,soft drink, water) was free which was a nice touch.

Breakfast at the Cocette restaurant was excellent - and built into the price of the room which was great value. There were a few menu options to choose from - only thing I would suggest would be mixing it up on different days.

The area so Little India was cool. Wish we had more time to journey around. It's a 5 minute walk to Little India MRT. There is a great Hawker Centre (food court) next to the MRT station with a variety of Asian, Indian, Malay stalls (each rated with an A,B,C that relates to its cleanliness)

Great hotel - wish I could have checked out some of the other rooms!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alexander R
UnlistedCollection, Guest Relations Manager at Wanderlust, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Alexander R,
Warm hellos from the team at Wanderlust!

The hotel pre-authorises all credit cards for before the guests’ arrival to check for validity and sufficiency of funds. Pre-authorised cards are held as security for reservations and may be utilised for any applicable charges, including cancellation and non-arrival fees. The pre-authorised amount is set aside by the credit card company and may affect the available funds balance or spending limit. At check-in, the card is also pre-authorised for the entire stay as well as incidental charges. We do accept cash deposit at check-in and would have accepted this alternative if we were informed that you’d like to settle by cash instead. We do regret for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your generous compliments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as what the surrounding area has to offer.

Do request for a different themed room for your next stay so you may experience more of Wanderlust!
We look forward to your return so we may be of service to you once again.

Best regards,