“Beautiful from afar, but far from beautiful!!!!!!”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #41 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed November 6, 2010

The price is over, the service, room quality is so low to compare with it's charge. The lobby looks like a subway station, so many people walking and standing around. The breakfast restaurant located at 1st floor named "RISE" and one more is on the Convention Center, all of them are very crowded and standding in a longgg line. Especially staff skills is so poorrr, during 1 day staying there I didn't see any smile on their face. Sorry I have to say I am really disappointed with this hotel on everything, never come back. Beautiful from afar, but far from beautiful!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank PhamHCM

Reviewed November 6, 2010

The worst accommodation experience I have ever encountered. After tripping around Indo-China for 12 nights, thought we would treat ourselves to our last 2 nights is this awesome looking hotel. The external architecture is visionary. Free shuttle bus trip from Changi took 1 hour in little traffic (suggest spend the $ and get a cab), no-one to assist any disembarking guests to remove luggage from coach. Driver just sat in her seat. No signage to tell you that there is a check-in desk where the coach pulls up. No evidence of our 2 night booking. Asked if I could access the Internet to print the confirmation from the hotel and gent said I would have to pay to do that! It turned out they had us on the system on the wrong dates.................

Business Centre staff member super sweet, helpful and apologetic (didn't pay for printing obviously!!), escorted us to another Reception in Tower 1 to check-in, then down to Tower 3 Reception to complete check-in. Room OK, not opulent, beige and modern, super comfy bed and big plasma, no bath!, Now some of these things I would never mention usually, but when you are paying big bucks and it was a treat for us, they mattered. Only 1 normal tea bag. All the rest were herbal. No UHT or fresh milk, only powdered. Hair dryer cord not long enough to be used in a power outlet near a mirror. Lifts not air-conditioned. Skypark or Business Centre, not labelled on the lift button. Typos in the Room compendium and shopping map absent. Maid and Mini-Bar both entered the room when the DND was illuminated.

Check-in girl did not know where I could do 'money change'. No restaurants open on pool deck during the day, except for the 'Members Only' one. Staff few and far between to try and arrange a drink, sandwich by pool. Pool awesome and Adults Only pool a great idea and vigilantly enforced, kids can have fun in the other pool or spas, not much shade, gawped at and photographed by all and sundry. Pool deck toilets inacessible, dirty and stinky.

Wanted to eat lunch in the Bar - cannot. Got order wrong, never offerred any drinks. 50th floor ws supposed to be Deluxe, view over harbour nice. Friday nights the 'doof doof' music from the nightclub resonates throughout the upper floors. Had to turn the air con off in the room as all the cigarette smoke was coming in. Female guest with a baby complaining of this the next morning at Reception. She was on level 51. Could hear the guests next door running water and flushing the toilet.

TV system failed to work throughout the entire hotel on the last day so queue at check-out monstrous. No queue management. It is the most I have ever paid per night out of my own pocket to stay in a hotel and we were devestated at how poor everything was. I handwrote a letter of complaint on the first day detailing our issues, attentioned it to the Duty Manager, handed it to Front Desk and never heard a word from the hotel during our whole stay. Think property is aimed at conference guests and casino gamblers.

Armies of beautifully groomed staff stand around doing nothing. They look like nervous rabbits. By the time we checked out no-one had smiled, said good morning, how was you stay, happy honeymoon. The exeception was the Bell staff, particularly the fellow who chatted to us while we waited for a cab after we had checked out. He chatted, smiled, made jokes and as he opened the door for us he said 'I hope to see you next time' - we just looked at each other and laughed!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jane_oz
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Great Hotel, Great staffs, Great rooms and brilliant pool with lovely views.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We checked in at MArina Bay Sands form Nov 2-5 2010. Arrived 3pm. while waiting for our room there was no couch or any seat in the lobby. This is quite weird since they are a very big hotel. ofcourse, a lot of people will be waiting. We booked 3 rooms but when we got there only 2 rooms were availble at the moment they told us that they are still preparing the 3rd room. We called 3x from 6pm onwards to make a follow up on the 3rd room. but still no reply from them. When 10pm came we finally decided to cancel the 3rd room since it will be useless to still use it. Front Desk never left a messge in our room re: the 3rd room.

Room is not so imprressive. we usually stay in Four Seasons and St.Regis with the same rate ($500 per night) but room amenintes and service is impeccable. They also did not make up our room and did not remove the plates and utensils from the in room dinning. it took them 48 hours to do it if i have not requested for it.

Music of the band playing from the lobby can be heard from our room and thus we did not have a good sleep.

the only thing that is nice is the pool. thats it! but take note: the only food you can order are potato chips and combos.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Diday3
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I find it bewildering as to the huge differences in the amount of likes and dislikes people have for this hotel. Personally, I have stayed at Marina Bay Sands Hotel 5 times already, and the experiences always met my expectations.

The infinity pool was amazing, the night scenery is worth my money paid. The rooms were always clean and all the facilities were in proper conditions.

The only thing I didnt understand is that I had to pay for internet services in a 5 star hotel. And there arent many choices when it comes to food.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Very interesting stay I had, visually you will stay in no better hotel. Being that the property is newer they are having some service issues, but I assume most new properties encounter this. If you keep an open mind of this like we did it didn't affect our stay at all. The skypark was incredible, the view at night was STUNNING. Two things that really stuck out: I'm used to pools having some exclusiveness to them, this one had many people standing just watching that had no access to the pool. Really weird to have literally a 100 people just hanging around staring at everyone taking pictures. Many people were very uncomfortable with this and I heard many complaints. It was also difficult to get a drink, I had to flag what appeared to be pool staff to help and they would bring a server to us. They were very attentive to our needs, but why not have servers actually walking around asking people if they wanted something? We were there 4 days, it was the same everyday? Not much of a selection either, they definitely need to offer much more at the pool. The other thing about the pool that needs to be addressed is the Security staff, not very friendly and the demanding of the hotel key is a turn off. We probably encountered 5 or more Security staff and none had any personality or tact. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our stay very much, but you remember the bad and these were things that consistently happened to us daily. We spent most of our nights out, so we only visited the Rise for 2 meals which was very good. I'm not a traditional buffet person, but this was excellent. Our check in and check out went very smooth, staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Booked a night at the MBS in Singapore to experience this beautiful hotel but did not live up to my expectations.
In the first place, the hotel lobby was caotic with so many tourists around just taking pictures; had to queue to check in only to be told that my room was not ready, but it would be in the next two hours! Of course, after two hours of wandering around, I had to go back to reception to demand my room. Once in my room, my luggage took 90 minutes to arrive……
Management tried to compensate with a late check out and breakfast, but the experience left a sour taste. And even though I had booked a room with a view on one of the highest floors, it overlooked a construction site and not to the business skyline….

On the positive side, the room was acceptable and the pool an enjoyable experience. However, as tourists and visitors are allowed to walk past the pool area taking photos, you feel like a penguin in a zoo….

Breakfast quality was OK, but the cafe is in the hotel lobby and it was noisy and chaotic. I guess that it is pretty difficult for a hotel with 2500 rooms to make any guest feel "special". Staff were friendly and professional (my complements to Kelvin, duty manager) but many things could be improved….

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends