“Marina Bay Sand Hotel”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #37 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Is worth the price for Sky Park, Swimming and comfortable stay. But there is different type of room, maybe a call or email to check on the room type will be good to make your stay even more comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (23,825)

Reviewed October 3, 2010

A good booklet guide and person to greet guests on arrival would be very helpful. Visiting the skydeck and pool are a must.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The most beautiful hotel, loved the spacious room and bathroom. Very comfortable beds and quality furniture after all it is a brand new hotel. Only downsides are that don't expect them to do your laundry washing here (as there is no facilities to do it yourself) approx $4 singapore dollars to wash 1 hanky-----let alone shirts were about $20 singapore dollars approx without ironing it. Far too expensive for sure. The restaurants there are very expensive and when we did splurge out and have the buffet meal one night it cost $68 singapore dollars they told us when we walked in but failed to tell us that there was an extra 10% surcharge (legal tip for staff) and 7% GST on top of this already huge price which we were outraged at, we should have been told when they told us about the $68 SD each charge but what can you do you have to pay it. Be careful too they were going around with a drinks trolly table to table with all sorts of wines on it asking if you wanted a glass (which we assumed was included in the $68 SGD charge each as they did not tell us it was additional and did not write down our table no. or anything but rest assured when we got our bill there it was a $16 SGD charge + 17% for one glass of wine - you heard me 1 glass of wine. This hotel building adjoins the casino by very very expensive shops along the way that are all out of reach of a normal person like me, no cheap shops and hardly any food outlets, basically no fast food outlets close by at all just some expensive restaurants. I guess only the most expensive shops can afford to be in this building. We found that the taxis are so cheap in Singapore and used them to go most places. Even a 20 minute trip away to a tourist attraction chairlift facility to go over to Sentona Island only cost us $6.80 singapore dollars, taxis are very cheap (except watch out for the peak hour surcharge that is automatically added at the end of the trip that we were not aware of - but still makes taxis cheap). We got them to go eat in the city at the food outlets in the shopping centre not far away and or in city as the food there is very cheap and very good and high quality at restaurants and at fast food outlets and quite large meals too. Recommend eating anywhere but Marina Bay sands. The hop on and hop off bus tours are a wonderful way to see the city and learn about it, take you most places. This hotel is a good distance from airport at least 20 minutes if not peak times. The top floor of this Marina bay Sands must be seen it is the best view and the swimming pool facilities are amazing. The Singapore Eye is not too far away at all and could walk but traffic is chaotic when crossing the bridge reco. just take a taxi as it is cheap anyway. Must go on this. All tourist attractions are very cheap to get into in Singapore. Internet is not free surprisingly for a hotel of this standard. Every other hotel I ever stay at is free WIFI. They charged me $10.80 for 10 minutes S.D What a rip off.
We paid $28 for a hamburger meal with chips and was a very good meal ordered through room service and a can of coke $8 + taxes SGD etc (as it was very late at nirght and too late to catch a taxi into town to eat). So room service is very expensive but we did know what we were up for total when ordered I made sure of that. But the meal was outstanding but it had want to be for the price hey. Buffet breakfast was included with our room and was outstanding but just to pay for it later when you get there was very expensive if not included with your room charge.
In short the hotel is beautiful but they get you with so many extra charges for anything there which is a shame as we paid about $450 Australian dollars a night as a real treat on our holiday but was not happy with all the other extra charges there for everything.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rockhamptonplumbing
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I am writing this from my room at the Sands. I came here from the St. Regis which is not what it used to be but is sublime compared to this piece of excrement. We were going to stay 2 nights but 2 hours into our stay, I was calling to book another hotel.

If you enjoy staying at Red Roof Inns or bus stations, then you will love this place. If you have ever stayed at a good hotel and expect an experience for S$450+++, you will be sadly disappointed. Go to the pool--be prepared to share with 50,000 of your closest Chinese friends all yelling and taking pictures--but get your pictures, that is the best part of this hotel.

This hotel is simply not worth the money. The staff are rude, arrogant and clueless...other than that, they are quite nice. I could go on but too many other reviews are also spot on.

Any good review of this hotel must have been written by someone on drugs or in the employ of the hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank campbellrg
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I didn´t know I had booked this well known hotel. When I arrived a was flabbergasted. The hotel architecture is unique and out of this world. Everything about it, from the hotel reception area, to the way the room "greets" you when you open the door is fantastic. The skypark and pool are one of a kind. The staff are very friendly and the entire environment is one of a kind! The ONLY thing that detracts from the experience is the overall lack of coordination in the hotel. it is very apparent that the processes, the IT systems and the communication amoungst different areas of the hotel are still in the beginning stages. Don´t have the proter bring the luggage down to the bus - as it will take >45min and you still have to chase them.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2010

This hotel apparently sees itself as in a war with its guests to extract as much money from them as possible and provide as little as possible in return.

Example 1: my package provided for a 3pm check out. When I asked for it, I was told it was not possible. Why not, I asked, are you full tomorrow? Oh, we not full, I was told, but we never give 3pm check out. Oh, I see. I paid for it, but you just refuse to give it to me.

Example 2: the internet service is the worst I have ever encountered anywhere, hands down. A hovel in the jungles of Laos would beat the speed without breaking a sweat, and they apparently use a proxy which blocks popular sites like Twitter to reduce bandwidth use. They do not, however, reduce what they charge you for the service, just what you get in return.

Example 3: the a/c can be set as low as 17 degrees, but -- according to the engineer -- it is rigged not to cool the room lower than 23 degrees regardless of where you set it. Again, you pay for it, but they just won't give it to you. And they lie to you about what you are paying for.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

The owners here don't really seem to understand that I can beat them at their stupid game without half trying. All I have to do is stay somewhere else next time. And I will certainly do that. I recommend you do the same thing.

That's how you beat them at their own game.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank SukhumvitRoad
Reviewed October 1, 2010

The hotel is new and its decor are beautiful and great. Walking down the alley in the hotel lobby makes us imagining as a "Noble family - like Prince and Princess". The garden ambience are good too.

The rooms are clean and spacious. Its facilities are pretty sufficient. The only issue is the built-in freezer (which will commence its charges after certain seconds), which should not be a hazzle to consumers and visitors. The hotel should include all drinks (free of charges) in the feezer (consume or not) to be included in its hotel rates. It can be bad image and reputation if most visitors inform their guests not to open the freezer (worried about its charges).

Almost all major branded goods can be found in its shoppe. The rich and brand-conscienced visitors can shop happily at his/her leisure, comfort and time. Websites of these shops and its new launches or goods can be broadcast via your inhouse televisions or lobby monitors.

The swimming pool at SkyPark is beautiful and grand. All must experience the trimless swimming pool. It is GREAT. A Must Try itininery.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple