“Beautiful swimming pool at sky park.”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #37 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Berkeley, California
“Beautiful swimming pool at sky park.”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Swimming pool at sky park is open now. The experience at sky park was unforgettable. You should not miss the chance to swim at sky park. Only if you stay at hotel, you can go swim at sky park. However, the sky bar is still under construction. The bar looks like opening pretty soon, though.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BWYoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,303)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
singapore
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Had a good laugh reading thru the reviews.. decided I had to pen something.
For me, I occasionally bring my kids (2 & 4y.o.) out for a single day weekend 'staycation' so my tolerance of imperfection is far higher than those on an expensive vacation trip.

For whatever reason that I have forgotten, we have decide to pick 31/7 (last day of offer) as the day we will try to 'enjoy' the offer by MBS to Singaporeans at large (399$/night on the premium room, with breakfast and $50 spending credit).
Well, unknowingly, its the full dress rehearsal of our national day parade that's happening just across the marina at the big field.
A few days prior, realizing that its the rehearsal, I emailed the front desk asking for a room facing the city. Its subject to availability but well, things turned out fairly ok for me.

Anyway, the key search-phrase, PACK!
With the casino running 24/7, hundreds if not thousands of Diamond members having chalked up tonnes of free points/rooms. Last day of the local stayer offer. NDP (national day parade) rehearsal. 'Pack' is an understated word.

Was told the check in time is 3pm. Arriving at 2.40 the queue was already like 150pax long. Having stayed in a fair number of 4/5 star properties, it's the second time I encountered such 'vibrancy' at a good class hotel. The last time was at Venetian in Macau.. another Sands property (that tells where all the exciting asians go for vacation!).

1 hour wait and got my room registered. But was told I was placed in a Orchid Suite, and the room will only be ready in 2 hours.

Fine, it was a good sunny day so brought the family up to the roof top.
Knowing that the hotel starts checking in at 3pm, extremely surprised that the swimming pool is already packed with people!

Skipping the in betweens, by the time I got my room its 5.30pm. They were supposed to call me once the room is ready, but knowing how busy these ppl are we decided to just pop over to check the status and got our key.
Ok, the upgraded room is excessively huge and impressive. Got the city facing room on the 50th floor, and since its a suite I get to see the other side (sea facing) as well.
Overall decently furnished. But for some reason the bathroom was locked up and when the porter came with our luggage, told him about the problem and he went about to settle it for us (which he did).

So leaving the chap to help us sort out the room, we went up to the roof top swimming pool. Granted the hotel is packed for the day, I have a nagging suspicion many staying guests are bringing their friends around and packing the roof top garden to the max. There are hardly any pool deck chair available and if one is opened up, you just have to snatch it! Crowd control could have been better. I think they shld really close up most of the roof top place to just hotel guests, especially on a day like this one where the hotel is so pack.

Pool water was surprisingly cold on such a good sunny day.

Anyway, when the NDP rehearsal started.. The roof top is really a good place to be. You will probably think that the jet/helicopter flypasts were planned with the Sands in mind.. Watched the fireworks in the hotel room and again, the blooms were like literally opening up at your eye level! Amazing view even better than what I got at Mandarin Oriental two years back!

Had no problem with the bath/hot water and so forth. Well furnished bathroom with 4 towers (most hotels give you 2 or 3 max if its close to 5 star). Hot water was abit slow in coming (half a minute or so?!).

Tried to order room service. The menu stated that anything less than $30 would incur a $5 delivery charge. But that's moot this round, after getting to the in room dining recept within 3 minutes, was told the hotel had a gas-cut and is unable to provide any food. 'Anything that you don't have to cook' --> 'Let me check for you... err sorry sir there is nothing the kitchen can send out now'... And unfortunately, the nearest shop/7-11 is like a km away at esplanade!

Breakfast in the morning?! Well, the missus had the foresight of bringing us there early as crowd is expected. Got a very 'cold' table after 15 mins wait --> for some reason the hotel decided just to blow tonnes of cold air out of this air-chute near our table (other air chute seems not to be used).

Nevertheless noticed that the hotel was preparing for this huge influx of guest. They opened up the other two restaurants for breakfast and set up a 'breakfast by the bay' across at the convention center. Spread was good and very comparable to the nearby 5-stars.

Had some issues during check-out with the $50 credits that was part of the package. The system did not recognize some spending and tried to get me to pay for it. But upon explaining to the lady the problem, she just took the initiative and took $50 off my hotel bill.

All in how I felt about the stay:

1. That Sands was badly designed. With so many guest rooms, the dining facility is hugely insufficient. Maybe the opening of the expo center will alleviate the situation but that is yet to be seen especially if guests need to walk across so far just to have breakfast.

2. Sands was overly ambitious in putting out this local-stay offer. The infrastructure is unable to handle such high occupancy rate at the moment. Maybe we are the beta tester (u get a good rate so don't come harp on the services! we let you stay cheap to help us debug the problems!). Drive-in entrance is heavily bogged. Valet service for all hotel guest is simply not a good idea.

3. Information flow and system is not well set up. Frontline staff were not told of major issues (e.g. gas stopped last night) that they could have faced guests grievance of.

4. Insufficient preparation. If room service has been stopped, and no alternative available, the hotel shld have prepared alternative solution (e.g. pre packed sandwiches).

5. Crowd control left too much to be desired. They shld close the roof garden for pack days.

Why I am saying this place is very much 'un-singapore'... well, my normal comment, as a singaporean who travels a fair bit on work/leisure, that singapore establishment (e.g. SIA) usually have a good operating procedure and infrastructure, but lack guinea service mindset. Sands was just the opposite. The Standard operating procedure are totally undefined but the staff tried their best to be helpful.

Comparing to the earlier guests that found the place miserable.. I guess the main reason I didn't feel that way was the excellent view of the parade flypast and the fireworks that literally bloomed in front of our full floor-to-ceiling window. If I have not gotten the good room I probably would have felt alot more miserable and not so neutral in my comments.

But having stayed in quite a few of the hotels near the marina (e.g. Ritz, Oriental, Conrad).. I would still rate the Sands favorably. Not sure why but I never had good impression of Ritz (Sg, KL, HK, etc). Oriental was more expensive and the rooms are much smaller. Conrad gave good obliging services but again when I was using it I was a diamond hilton member and that gets me alot of perks.

Would I come back again ? Maybe in 6mths or a year.
Let's hope they sort out some of their infrastructural issues and figure out how to solve those inherent systematic issues.

8-P

6 Thank freeier
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Curious because I did not get any confirmation number after making a reservation almost a month prior, I finally made a phone call to confirm it the night before my check in day. After several calls and a 30 minute wait for a rep to answer my call - which is worth another review by itself - I finally found out that I did not have any reservation at this hotel. I started panicking, but the rep was good at handling my case. He helped me with my reservation and I finally got the three rooms that I needed. I was expecting the worse from then on, and the image of being stranded in Singapore with extended family members without a room kept crossing my mind.

The stay was uneventful. My room, Horizon room on the 38th floor, was huge at more than 60 m2. One could easily fit in four king beds in the room. The room and the bathroom were sparsely furnished, too bland for a five star hotel charging this much. There is no turndown service in the evening - I didn't request but I never had to request for such at other similar establishments in Singapore. The service level is definitely low here. The housekeeper did not even understand when I told her in English to come at a later time in order to clean my room.

One of the perks of staying at this hotel is being able to go to the Skypark at any time for free. The pool and jacuzzi have stunning views of the city from the 57th floor level. There were too many people watching though, there is no sense of exclusiveness at all. Only in house guest are allowed to use such facilities, however, people are roaming around to see them using the facilities. It felt like being on a public beach where a lot of people can't swim.

When I checked out, I felt relieved that I had a reasonably good stay here. I probably lowered my standard by several notches during that stay because I was expecting for the worse. I stayed there because I wanted to stay at an architecturally spectacular hotel and that's just what I got.

3 Thank Edges
Singapore
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I went to Marina Bay Sands on 31st July 2010 to visit the casino and parked in the casino carpark at about 3pm and stayed until about 8pm. When I returned to pick my car up I found that my car had been hemmed in by two cars which were illegally parked and thus blocking my ability to exit. When I contacted the the duty manager, Alvin (Mobile Number 97182979) to help me he promptly told me that he would make an announcement over the PA system and get the drivers to move their cars. What he either forgot to mention or maybe it was just a way of getting me keep quiet was that the PA system doesn't actually work! I only found this out after waiting for a hour and half when I went to the ask the information counter myself. Apparently the system has never worked and the announcement was never made. I then tried to contact Alvin, he pretended to speak to me for a few minutes and then intentionally cut me off. This is NOT the kind of service from the Duty Manager which I expect. After he hung up on me, he refused to pick up my calls or reply to my sms and was effectively uncontactable.

I had by this time waited 2 hours in order for them to try to get my car out. As the hotel management was either unwilling or unable to to help me I was then forced to call the police to assist me. I did not appreciate having to wait for more than two hours to get my car out and be lied to about the announcement and then Alvin refusing to take my calls. This is unforgivable.

The only good thing was Phil (the Acting Operations Manager) came and was very helpful in helping me get out of the car park. He not only gave wet toilettes and water and had very good customer service.

Please avoid this property until they sort out their carpark system and until Alvin finds the ability to speak to customers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Ongho
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Despite the poor reviews, our honey-moon stay at the Marina Bay Sands turns out to be a pleasant one. We stayed in the Premier room which was very new and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a clean huge bath-tub. We didn't get high floor and city view, but the sea view at night is still quite lovely. We also liked the ambient music, with a violin string quartet playing in the lobby. The best part of our stay is admiring the glittering evening skyline on level 57 SkyPark. Not much hiccups during our stay here except for some valet parking over-charges which was resolved during check-out. Not too happy with the guest valet parking of $15 per day - other hotels would have given complimentary parking passes. Sands is kinda isolated from the other main malls/attractions, would be a better experience if the mall is fully operational (shops are currently only 50% open). The hotel staff are still quite new but most of them try their best to put up a good service. Our original plan was to stay at the Ritz Carlton (undergoing renovations and rooms are dated), but i'm glad that we gave Marina Bay Sands a try. It should get even better after all constructions are completed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank geminian
MYS
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We’ve not gone on a family holiday for quite a while and we decided to do an overnight trip to Singapore. We decided to give Marina Bay Sands a try. We booked four rooms on the 15th July (2 days before the trip to Singapore). We chose the Marina Bay Club Rooms at SGD 439++/ room. The description on the website sets the expectation high for good services and facilities by the hotel.
Upon arriving the hotel at about 4pm, to our surprise, the hotel parking was full. We had to park at the Convention Center located opposite the hotel. I got down with our luggages to check-in. The wait at the check-in counter was not long. This is where all the nightmare started. I was told that our room is “ROOM ONLY” and it does not include breakfast, access to the Marina Bay Club facilities or the Sky Park. I told the front desk this can’t be it since I paid SGD 439++. As we were all tired, we decided to check-in first, and check with the concierge later.

Upon entering our room, I was amazed by the room. It was clean and tastefully decorated – but the sofa is missing! (We clearly remembered seeing the sofa in the website!) Anyway, that aside the facilities in the room were great – full bathroom features, iron and ironing board, Nespresso machine, etc.

While the rest of the family members rest, my husband and I decided to call the concierge/reservation department from our hotel room to check on the details of our reservations. To our amaze or rather amuse, the phone was NOT working. I couldn't call the concierge, the room service, the spa, NOTHING. So we had to get to the lobby to check it out with the concierge.

We were greeted promptly by the ladies serving the concierge counter. They both helped to check on the status of our room. The system clearly shows “ROOM ONLY” and the lady was surprised that with the high rate that we were paying it can’t be room only. She also confirmed that we were booked on the Marina Bay Club rooms which comes with breakfast, passes to SkyPark and usage of the Fuse Lounge (in lieu of the Marina Bay Club). One of the ladies called the reservation department and was told no breakfast but the room comes with 2 passes to the SkyPark. But when she checked the website herself, she found that it should come with breakfast and access to the Fuse Lounge.

In the meantime, the other lady tried to help by going to Tower 3 to find out in details about our rooms reservation – if it should comes with breakfast, access to the Fuse Lounge and passes to the SkyPark. And to my surprise, she came back and said yes, it comes with everything. Hmm… but the other concierge lady just put down the phone with reservation department that breakfast was not included to our reservation/room. By now, I was really confused with all the contradicting information. Both ladies promised to try to sort this out and call me.

By this time, the rest of the family came down and we decided to head to the Fuse Lounge to enjoy the Complimentary F&B served there. To our surprised, we were told by Elvis that the access to the complimentary F&B hour is over – they only serve up till 6pm! And it was 6.40pm already by then! Hmm… what happen to the complimentary F&B throughout the day and evening? Anyway, Elvis helped us by “upgrading” our normal door card to a “gold card” which will help getting the access to the SkyPark. He also assured us that our rooms – the Marina Club Rooms – come with breakfast (either at Rise or Fuse) and 2 passes to the SkyPark! Great! Problems solved! We were happy, and now the kids are getting hungry. So we decided to head over to the nearby shopping area for dinner.

To our disappointment, most shops were not ready, only a handful of restaurants were open! We walked around and found the Chinese restaurant but it’s fully booked until 9.30pm! Gosh! The kids were getting pale from lack of food! And so we saw a tiny food court (I’m not even sure if it qualifies as a food court!) that serves mixed rice and chicken rice. So we had our dinner here.

After dinner, the kids were tired and we decided to head back to rest. My husband and I decided to stop by the front desk to check on the parking fee. To our horror, we had to pay S$25 for parking full day at the convention center. But Jonathan at the front desk was kind enough to tell us that we can pay for S$15 and use the voucher that he gave us to leave the parking. And we could use the same voucher to repark at the hotel valet. Since Jonathan is so helpful, we asked him about the status of our room again just to be sure. AGAIN, we were told “ROOM ONLY” and there is no breakfast, no SkyPark. Ok, this is bad. We spoke to so many people and we are still getting the mixed messages! I showed him a print out that the concierge printed out for me – a printout on the facilities, services and privileges that comes with the Marina Bay Club rooms which clearly states:
- Access to The Marina Bay Club (Only available once Marina Bay Club on the Sands SkyPark opens)
- Access to the Fuse Lounge
- The Fuse Lounge services, exclusive to Marina Bay Club guests include: Complimentary Food & Beverages throughout the day and evening (American Breakfast, afternoon tea, evening cocktail & canapé hour, an all-day open bar serving complimentary non-alcoholic beverages) complimentary internet access, newspapers & magazines, laptops available, MacBooks available, complimentary printing services, local call and access to the Sands SkyPark Observation Deck cantilever (2 passes for one-time access)

And Jonathan disagrees and said that the printout stated “Only available once Marina Bay Club on the Sands SkyPark opens.” And I said “Before The Marina Bay Club opens in 2010, Marina Bay Club Rooms will still be available, with all the benefits available exclusively at Fuse Lounge on the Hotel Lobby, Tower 2” and pointed on the second paragraph of the print out. And dear Jonathan paused. He told us to wait while he decided to check with someone – probably someone with higher ranking. We waited for a while and he finally came back said that our room comes with breakfast at the Fuse Lounge. Great! And I asked him what about the access to the SkyPark. And well, he totally forgot about it. He went back in and checked, and came back out and confirmed we go have access to the SkyPark. Wonderful! Finally everything is sorted out. I told him to make sure that he entered that into the system so that when tomorrow comes, I won’t need to repeat myself!

After all the trouble I had to go through, I finally return to my room and soaked in the lovely bathtub for relaxing.

At about 12 midnight, my in-law came knocking at my door. What else could happen in the middle of the night! Apparently there is a power cut! I cannot believe that it could happen to such a prestige hotel as this! I used my hotel room phone to call the concierge for assistance. I waited outside the room for assistance. After 15 minutes of waiting, we couldn’t wait anymore. We decided to search for the fuse box in the room, and found the tripped fuse and flicked it back. The wait was just too long and we just couldn’t wait anymore since it was way pass midnight. In the end, someone came only after about 20 minutes after I made the call.

Next morning comes, we enjoyed our breakfast at the Fuse Lounge. They have a special area, a secluded room for Marina Bay Club Rooms occupants to enjoy the peaceful morning. We had guests with us, so we signed the receipt that the 2 adults + 3 children breakfast were to be charged to the room. The breakfast was great.

Then everyone head to the swimming pool while I went for the queue in Tower 3 to purchase the additional tickets to access the SkyPark. When it was my turn, I was told that all rooms do not come with any free access to the SkyPark. Hmm… then I whipped out my “Gold Card” and she went like “Oh, you’ve got the special key cards, then yes it should come with the free passes.” Great! (Thanks Elvis!)
The view up there was great. And so this is how we ended our stay with Marina Bay Sands. We were clearly disappointed that the staffs are not well informed and we had to sort out all the issues ourselves by talking to so many different people! So the family decided to have a good lunch at the Jin Shan Restaurant.

How could this trip get any worse? How wrong we were at that moment. We all had our food served promptly, but one was left out – Fresh Crab Meat Fried Rice. We checked with the waitress for 3 times and she kept telling us “Sorry, it’s coming.” Other tables came later and they were served and ate and left. We waited for ONE HOUR for the rice to be served.

And this is how miserable our stay was at Marina Bay Sands – and it ended with a bang at rock bottom! I’ve never had any experience any worst than this! I had better stay in a Bed & Breakfast in Europe! We have decided not to recommend to anyone to stay here, not for at least another year.

10 Thank antheama
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Give this place at least a year before considering. 2500 rooms and only a few lobby food locations. I guess its ok if you are a gambler, at the boring casino across the road. Super expensive restaurants at the casino, but I hope the quality and name of the celebrity chef/owners is there. Staff all seem to be in space, nice looking young team that have no idea what they are doing. Did see managers roaming around trying to keep things in order, but it will take time. Room was nothing special, and I noted that no tub in the bathroom, only shower. I will be back to my usual room at the Hyatt on my next trip to Singapore.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business