“Save your money, stay in other 5 star hotel in Singapore for genuine service!”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #40 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The advertisement and the glam is more than what you get from the experience in staying in Marina Bay Sands. I had high expectations from this hotel but found it lacking professionalism and personal attentions.
I booked my room from the hotel website for my transit stay and to be honest my room was a good size and beautiful views over the bay, the amenities and room fittings were in acceptable level for a 5 star room.
The problems came from the service and lack of attention to details, when I arrived into Singapore (Changi Airport) my confirmation stated clearly (highlighted) free shuttle service to the hotel in which I tried getting but was advised by Changi Airport that the hotel has stopped providing this service only 8 days prior to my stay. So I called the hotel and the phone operator simply said we cancelled the service already and I had to take a taxi, when I explained that it was written on my confirmation and therefore it was legal, the phone operator simply said "I will let management know" and offerred no alternative.
Arriving at the Hotel Lobby, for a 5 star property there was no doormen to greet and open the door (which I would have expected for a self proclaimed 5 star hotel), The lobby felt like a zoo or an attraction where there were literally hundreds of people around and at least 30 people lining up for check in and check out. It took around 45 minutes just to check into the hotel!
Again I raised the point that free shuttle was written on my confirmation email just to see what the check-in staff would do and all I got was a "sorry" and no further explanation was given, very dissapointing.
Went to the Skypark to enjoy a swim in the infinity pool only to find the whole deck full to the brim with people and again felt the lack of exclusivity and high standards that could be expected from a true 5 star hotel experience. Just add that during my brief swim I saw mucus floating a used band aid floating around the pool (disgusting).
After dinner went to check if I could get a late check-out since my flight home is at 7pm and was told that check-out time is 11am and only can extend for additional 1 hour 12pm. Check in 3pm and check out 11am?! felt like a recording that every receptionist had in Marina Bay Sands.
Tried again to leverage from the non-free transfer! the person at reception (Sunil) simply said we cancelled that service 14th of April and you should have received an email. I told him I received no email and he said "oh" he said that if I wanted to extend to 3pm-4pm I would have to pay additional half day use. I told him most other hotels would at least give up to 2pm, he said "we check-in thousands of people everyday" which made me feel very insignificant and had never had this kind of response from a hotel before. I always believe that a successful hotel is one that made it's guests feel special and I guess this is what is lacking in Marina Bay Sands Hotel.
I explained to Sunil that I never had such an experience before in a hotel in Singapore and how dissapointed I was with this hotel and that it would be unlikely that I return for business or leisure. He didnt really care, simply because thousands of people get sucked into staying in this hotel everyday because of it's hype. I will conclude taht I will never stay in this hotel again nor will I recommend the hotel or Skypark to anyone ... EVER!

Room Tip: The rooms are well appointed and are tidy and large. Great views if you are in higher floors (which...
3  Thank SSus71
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear SSus71,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. I am concerned to learn about your recent experience at Marina Bay Sands. I would like to request for more information from you for my team and I to review the details of your stay.

I have sent you a private message and I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Large bed, big room, breathtaking view plus of course, bragging rights- that is what you pay for in Marina Bay Sands. But it is worth every penny, if you have some to spare. To enjoy every centavo of it, you must experience the place- every side and all corners. Go to the top flooe for a cool swimming or jacuzzi. Get pumped up at the gym. Read your books at the poolside. Go to the casino. Shop and eat at the mall. Get lost. In the end, Marina Bay Sands is more than a hotel. It is a small city within the little city which is Singapore. You've paid for an experience. You should be out there making it.

Room Tip: Room with a veranda if you smoke. Room with the city view if you want to take in more of that Singap...
1  Thank Arnold Cesar R

Thank you for your lovely review, ByaheroManila.

I am delighted to learn that you had a wonderful experience at Marina Bay Sands and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel has around 2500 rooms and is a massive paean to contemporary architecture and engineering – dominating the city skyline but looking really kind of cool with it!
The rooms are in one of three towers, there is a 150 metre long skydeck on the roof with an amazing view of the city on one side and the bay with all the ships waiting to dock and unload their containers on the other. I really liked the chic urban touch outlook.
The sykdeck is complete with shady tree groves and Jacuzzi pools, etc. There are some bars up there, the Ku De Ta restaurant / club, which makes the most of the location, and the club room which serves excellent food and drinks 9including champagne) most of the day which I think is free if you are on certain rates …. All very fabulous.
The only thing was … the Skydeck was completely mobbed with people most times that I was up there, and there’s very little personal space because it’s so popular – like being on a packed beach.
If you don’t mind that then fine … But it’s certainly not a place for anyone wanting a bit of privacy or peace, as it’s also quite manic with the constant movement and hubbub of people.
My room overlooked the city, was a good size and excellently well-appointed and had a contemporary design that was not outstanding, but definitely liveable with!
However the feng shui needed a bit of attention!!!
The desk was facing the wall rather than the fabulous view! It was also really heavy, but with a bit of determination, I swung it 90 degrees, pulled it out from the wall (carefully loosening off all the Ethernet and power cables, etc.) and then I could enjoy the amazing panorama right there from my desk – at which I spent considerably more time than in the bed!
The internet went like scorched lightening .. AND … it was free!!! YAY!!! I was happy!
For a hotel pitching itself at this level of service and presentations there were a few little annoyances – surprising but nothing to get overheated about!
The fabulous stand-alone bath looked great, but if you wanted to use soap, shampoo etc. whilst in it … there was nowhere convenient to put it at all – you had to keep it on the side and strain around to reach it each time it was needed.
The towels were a little worn out .. they were perfectly clean, but you just expect something a bit more fluffy and gorgeous.
The biggest wind-up for me was the 30 minute wait to check in (obviously I arrived at Peak time on a Sunday morning – but given that I really hate waiting for anything!)
When I was leaving and rang down to get help with the luggage … I was told that someone would be up in 15 minutes! I laughed, and, not having 15 minutes to spend waiting for help with luggage … I humped all the cases including the two heavy flightcases of cameras and my personal case peaking at 32 Kgs down in the lift from the 37th floor – a total of six bags …. With a fair amount of cursing. I got about two thirds of the way across the lobby before I was caught by a bell boy and a trolley … by which time I might as well have completed the task myself!
I spent some time in the Fuse restaurant downstairs while I was waiting for my room to be ready. It’s OK – the food is mediocre, nothing special and they told me off - very nicely - for falling asleep in front of my laptop – I was badly jet lagged! Nothing a couple of Red Bull’s couldn’t sort out!
I would stay there again for the views! The service - in my experience - definitely needs some polishing!

Dear Anne Louise S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences here. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.

I note your comments on the towels in your guestroom, your arrival and departure process and your experience at Fuse and I have shared your feedback with the respective departments for their review and attention.

Please be assured that we highly value all of your comments and will definitely seek to fine-tune our systems and procedures appropriately.

I value your patronage and I look forward to welcoming you back to Marina Bay Sands in the future for a more successful stay.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

During our vacation in Singapore, we recently stay in 3 different hotel : The Sentosa Resort & Spa, Hard Rock Hotel Resort World and we would like to keep the best for the last The Marina Bay Sands.
Sadly, this hotel is far less then we expected. The hotel was so crowded, no bell boy to help our baggage, every guest only can use the pool once a day, restaurant staff has lack of knowledge when we asked which restaurant I can order ala carte menu for my daughter breakfast. Room price also very high and not worth, compared to other 2 hotel we recently stayed (room size, facilities, etc).
The plus point of this hotel we found at the pool, the staff at pool was so kind and helpfull, and yes it is a stunning view from the pool. And another plus point, they provide shuttle bus to airport.
Traveler with children must extra careful with the fridge, since they using automatic charge for every stuff picked up from its place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JamesLesmana

Dear JamesLesmana,

I regret to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay at Marina Bay Sands. Please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the relevant departments for their review and appropriate action and I apologise for any inconveniences caused.

Only with valuable feedback like yours are we able to continuously improve our service quality to provide our guests with a warm and comfortable stay. I value your patronage and I hope to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were so excited to go to Marina Bay and booked a nice 79 sq.m room 45 days in advanced. (493 S$/night)Waited at the airport on the arrival day looking for shuttle bus hotel for 1 hour with 2 toddlers and a grand mother. We later found out that they cancelled the bus so we took taxi to hotel. We found out at reception that this room offered only 1 bed and no baby cots. We later could get a small extra bed and a baby cot. We also waited for the room another 3 hours and got key card and went up to the room then found that the keycard didnt work so we asked the staff who came to open the door if he could go down to pick up the new keycard. He said you have to do it yourself. I held my baby (10kg) went down and up. AT night, the air con was set at 20.5 C and was extremely cold. I called operator she told me she could give me more blankets but temperature in the room can't be adjusted. Before checking out, my bill has extra charge from minibar which I was told not to lift up anything because it will be charged to my bill. Well, I did not but there was a charge. The VIP lounge needed to wait for a long time and small. The infinity pool is impressive by the view not the pool itself. Food is good but the combination was only ok. So far, the experience is not worth the price we paid at all.

Room Tip: Air con is set at 20.5 C.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ptec

Dear ptec,

I have sent you a private message and I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here for part of our honeymoon. The hotel was beautiful... it's huge and reminded me of Vegas! We had a corner suite and the room was great. Loved the bathroom and the fact that it had 2 of them! The tub was nice and the view was fabulous.
I loved staying here and loved the pool on the 57th floor. The breakfast buffets had a huge array of choices. Nothing was bad. I wouldn't stay here again, though. It's very expensive and a bit of a novelty- a place you'd love to stay, but next time we'll find something in a different part of town and at a lower price-point.
No complaints though!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, lulaholly.

We are always excited to be a part of our guest’s special occasions and I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable honeymoon stay with us.

I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you and your loved one back to Marina Bay Sands in the future to experience more of what our one-stop destination has to offer.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Late check (10pm) received an upgrade from a deluxe room to a suite. Beautifully appointed room with dining table (fresh fruit centre piece) and lounge with an oversized bathroom. Only minor fault that I could find is that there was no powerpoint in the bathroom for the hairdryer (only a shaver point) and there was no mirror near the only vacant point to be found. Service was excellent. Met by staff on entering the main foyer and directed to the correct reception area. Check-in was immediate. Express check out took 2 minutes via electronic self checkout as credit card was used for bond. Pool was amazing along with the views and to my surprise was not overcrowded. Bar staff at the Skypark were very attentive and replaced drinks and bar snacks as needed. Prices were high but I found this typical of Singapore overall. Did not eat at the hotel so am unable to comment food. Location close to Singapore flyer, Artscience Museum-The Art of the Brick is well worth seeing, Gardens by the Bay and a short walk to the Raffles hotel

Room Tip: Late check-in may receive a room upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Agustin_A_Cortes, Senior Vice President – Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Julybaybe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. I am delighted to know that our service standards matched your expectations and that our Team Members at the SkyPark made an impressive mark on you.

I note your comments on our bathroom amenities and have shared your feedback with the relevant department heads for their review.