“Cattle Class”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #38 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a big hotel. Too big. It is crowded, impersonal and not worth the effort. The signature rooftop infinity pool is an over regulated human soup of posing "been there" self photographing tour groups. Staff are interested in what you can't do and what you have to pay for. The rooms are on the smaller side and expensive for what they are. The one redeeming feature is the restaurant Sky on 57. The food and service were excellent. Overall this hotel is a lot of effort and a lot of money to be made to feel like a number and a credit card. Not worth it.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tyson S
Write a ReviewReviews (23,513)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

What a great hotel this was.... Despite many reviewers describing the place being very busy- I have found the hotel being rather pleasant. To my surprise, we have got a standard rooms with a balcony, overlooking the botanical gardens, which are easily reachable from the hotel via a foot bridge and visiting the gardens was free. The rate we paid was around 400 Singapore dollars per night without a breakfast. For me, being a keen gambler, I have discovered a splendid casino ( smoking is allowed in the casino) which caters for different types of games. I saw regular tables offering bets upto 200,000 Singapore dollars a bet!!!!!! The shopping centre connected to the hotel has an excellent food hall. For a Korean meal ( bibimbap, kimchi and soup) you could expect to pay 10 Singapore dollars, which is nothing...... If you dine at the hotel,however, the price will probably be five times as much. The choice of food at the food halls in the shopping centre was amazing. The shops are mostly expensive brands, however, there are lesser known brand retailers and you could definitely pick up a bargain down there. Getting to the hotel was very easy by taxi and inexpensive. There is a shuttle from hotel to the airport which is free and each bus has a free wifi!!!! The room was spotless and I could honestly compare the size, views and decor to those of in Las Vegas ( sorry to mention the Vegas again) like the Wynn and Encore, in which I have previously stayed before. The checkin was quick and efficient. We have arrived circa 11 am, got registered and then we were given the keys at 1.30 pm. If you ask for the city views you will not get a balcony and if you are a smoker you will get a room which is not high up. So, ask for a room of the bay and as high as possible so you will get a nice room with a balcony, and I believe if you are a smoker you can puff on the balcony anyway. Overall, this hotel, for the price, met all my expectations I attach a few photos for everyone's enjoyment,

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

SImply Amazing. we stayed in the Club room so we had that evening champagne and cocktails for free in the sky club, except for the fact that we had to wait in a 40minute queue to get in because there were too many people up there. but at check out, we made a simple complaint to the reception Manager and he decided to give us free off charge on our $400 Room Service meals which trust me was great!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The draw of this hotel is the breathtaking rooftop infinity pool. But everyone seems to know about it so the hotel gets very crowded. This is particularly the case on check in and check out which was very slow. It also resulted in a long queue for the club class lounge ( we have never experienced this in another hotel). Good to stay here for a night or two but definitely not somewhere to go for an extended stay. Rooms was good size.

Room Tip: Club room if you can
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Massive hotel with good points and bad, really nice rooms with quality fittings marble tiled bathrooms big plasma tvs etc,we stayed on the 44th floor with 6 super fast lifts serving each tower so waiting was not a problem, the communial areas lobby and breakfast restaurant could get very crowded at times especially at check in and check out. The swimming pool on the 57th floor was quite cold but well worth a try again at times very busy. Singapore is not a cheap place drinks and food prices in the hotel quite expensive as is the high end shopping mall attached to the hotel, the hotel is not really within walking distance of any attactions except the botanical gardens so its taxis taxis taxis beware though fares can differ depending on the taxi but on the whole fares are very reasonable, singapore is a city break not a beach holiday but is well worth a try !

Room Tip: Rooms are sea view or city view go for city view ,
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked this hotel to surprise my husband for his birthday, we live in Bangkok and I decided that going to Singapore and experiencing Marina Bay Sand would be the perfect get away for 3 days in order to have some fun as Marina Bay Sands has it all... and really it does, from countless of restaurants to choose from, commercial centers, museum, casino.. I knew that we will be busy.
I booked in the Club room, were we could enjoy the Club restaurant, having breakfast overlooking the swimming pool, the afternoon tea was superb, and Cocktail time from 5-7pm, all this for free. I know you pay more for this kind of room but its really worth it.
Our room was huge and had a great view of the city and a view to the bay from our bathtub, i couldnt complaint, so then in our last night....
After dinner we decided to go to the casino just to check it out and experience it, as we are not gamblers, and to our surprise, I was denied entry because I hold a Cuban passport even though I dont live there for over 8 years now. The guy explained that this was a law that they couldnt change it because this casino was owned by an american company and they have to follow their rules IN SINGAPORE!
So, there are other 4 countries that are not allowed to enter the casino as well... My point to the management was that, I made the booking, they knew all along that a Cuban national was going to stay there and I would have really appreciate if they would have save me from the humiliation of getting dressed and going there just to be taken on the side and in front of everyone tell you that you can not enter the casino, like we were second class citizens.
There is no one sign that says this even though there are a lot of rules and regulations but NONE of them said anything about different countries not being allowed to enter the casino. Also the staff in the reception and the concierge didnt know anything about it, then the manager came and said to us that only upper management knew this, LIKE ITS A BIG SECRET, and by the way, she was like: Yes, this is the rule, what do you want me to do...
I believe that the hotel is misleading their guests and their staff when they are kept in the dark, and at that level, I should be quite the opposite: The hotel should help you to make your stay a little bit better. Our last night was spoiled because NO ONE could have send me an email saying that I could not enter the casino, I would have plan something else for that night and save the bad moment of being taken to the 40's in America were discrimination between black and whites was something normal because "thats the law"
The hotel is very nice and I recommend that everyone should experience this at least once in their lives, but there are a lot to work on when it comes to certain things...

Room Tip: Go for the Club type rooms, and tell at the reception that you want city view
Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you plan to make a trip to visit singapore and take the sights of the city then you should look for another hotel. If you plan to spend your time at the casino then this is the hotel for you. The hotel is right next to the MRT but expect to take 2 to 3 transfers to get to anywhere. The hotel has all the standards of a 5 star hotel. The view from the roof top and the pool is amazing but unless you spend all your time at the hotel there are better options.

Check in waiting time was a bit long about 10 minutes in line., but I guess you can expect that from a huge hotel. The check in itself was fast. We check are bags in when we arrive at our taxi but it took close to an hour for the bags to get to our rooms again I think this is cause by not enough personal and too many travellers arriving at the designated checkin time.

The room itself is nice and clean. The view is nice. The celebrity restaurants are quite good, breakfast is a bit pricey. There is a watershow every evening which we stumble upon it would have been nice if it was advertise. There is enough to shop, eat, see and do around the area, but if this is your first trip to Singapore you probably want to see the sights.

Overall an average experience with the price you pay there are better hotels in the city.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple