“Spectacular staycation”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #38 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went to MBS for a two-day "staycation" with our 3 children. We had two connecting Club rooms. These rooms are competitively priced compared to other 5-star hotels in Singapore but they are huge, they offer an incomparable view over the city and the Club amenities are great (High Tea on the top terrace and free flow of champagne at the cocktail hour).
Obviously, this 2500-rooms fortress is not specifically cozy or romantic and does not have an "authentic" touch. However, the rooms are superb, the views are unbeatable, the rooftop infinity pool is a truly unique experience, and the service is impeccable (better than in the other 5-stars across the bay).

Room Tip: Highly recommend Club rooms for their size, their city view and the Club amenities.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear cedayr, thank you for your delightful review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us in our Club Rooms as well as its amenities at The Club at Marina Bay Sands.
It is always a pleasure to hear that our Team Members succeeded in providing a memorable experience for our valued guests.
I look forward to welcome you and your loved ones back to stay with us in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (23,513)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have read a lot of negative reviews about MBS. A lot of those people need to re-think what it means to be on holidays. I was ready for a long check-in but, it was quite the opposite. A staff member came and collected our bags and gave us a tag. We waited in line and were given water and refresher towels by a lovely, older staff member. The check-in was smooth and quick, easily understood. The rooms were really nice, refreshing to come back to after a big day out. The pool was a great experience. The view, the water temperature....perfect. The busiest time was around sunset. The pool was really crowded. Breakfast was ok. I wouldn't rate it as fantastic, a lot of the hot western food was lukewarm. It was better to get your eggs cooked for you if you like them hot. Bacon and sausages were nice. Great variety of food for all tastes. I know I'm being picky, but I love a hot breakfast. The surroundings were nice. Great shops! It's a long walk from the SMRT. As an overview, I would say that the MBS was money well spent, our stay was incident free, it's a relaxing place and worth coming to stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark E
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent a night at this hotel and found it just fantastic! We are a family of four, and when we arrived around 10 in the morning, our daughter was ill. Then we got a room five hours before check in! Yes, it was on the third floor (out of 57!) but having a nice room with a sick little girl was great. The check-in was very quick.

So why should you stay at this hotel? Of course the architecture is great. You've got MRT-station just next door. They have free shutle to both the airport and the Universal Studios. There is a nice business center. Wifi everywhere. Spatious rooms. Nice and helpful staff. But I could skip all that. It is the POOL that makes people come here! And it was just as amazing as it looks on all picture. We just adored it. The first day (a Monday) it was a bit crowded, but there were still room for everyone and lots of sunbeds. The second day the pool was almost empty. Don't know why. The view was breathtaking both days!

Just next door to the hotel there is a huge shopping mall with a food court and a small super market. We had all our meals there and also bought some food for our breakfast to save some money.

So I would highly recommend anyone that can afford it, to stay at this hotel at least one night. Have your meals somewhere else, and stay at cheaper hotels the other nights (if you stay more than a day.)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Enemalm, thank you for your fantastic review. I am glad to know that you and your loved ones had a smooth check-in process and that our service standards matched your expectations.
I am happy to hear that you had the opportunity to dine at Rasapura Masters with its award-winning line-up of food stalls at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands.
I look forward to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future to experience more of our one-stop destination of entertainment, shopping and restaurants.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Me and my husband spent our honeymoon at the hotel, well to be honest the only reason we choose MBS is because of the infinity pool and yeah, it is worth it! Though a bit crowded but you will still be able to manage a good swim and enjoy the beautiful view of the city.
- check in was smooth and simple (small counter and very friendly malaysian staff attending us)
- room was good (nothing to brag) of a 5 star standard
- shopping area was excellent
- we took the boat ride to the merlion and it was very relaxing (highly recommended)

We will definately come back if given a chance too- mainly for another dip at the infinity pool!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, Dee A. I am happy to hear that our Team Members assisted to ensure that you had a smooth check-in process and that your stay with us was a warm and comfortable one.
We are always excited to be a part of our guests’ special occasions and we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands for more memorable once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had three unforgettable days (pre-booked) on the 35th floor of this wonderful hotel overlooking the Gardens By The Sea (a must do visit). So much to see just in the surrounding area. Great location for all attractions with the Singapore Eye a short walk away.
Infinity pool just outstanding but overcrowded with poor changing facilities. Get there early for a chair by the pool. However wonderful views from the pool area and observation deck (scary for some).
Very varied breakfast choice but meals expensive if not included in your pre booking. For a cheaper and even more varied food experience try the food court below the hotel anytime or in one of the other food markets around the city e.g. Lau Pa Sat.
Staff extremely helpful and I must praise highly the politeness & professionalism of the staff especially concierge Mazelan Mohad Ali & guest services agent - bell Abdul Majid. Please pass on our thanks.
The MVT underground easy to use all around Singapore with convenient Metro station below the hotel together with a very extensive shopping mall (no prices anywhere so if you have to ask you can't afford it!). When purchasing your ticket don't throw it away. Go to the ticket machine & get your $S1 back. or travel pass deposit @ designated stations, including the one @ the airport.

Room Tip: Try to book higher rooms overlooking the Gardens By The Sea. Tower 1 closer to the MTV station &...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terence M

Dear Terence M, thank you for your marvelous review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room stay in one of our Garden View Rooms overlooking Gardens by the Bay.
I am proud to learn that our Team Members Mazelan Mohad Ali and Abdul Majid assisted in making your stay a memorable one.
As a result of your kind compliments, I am delighted to present Mazelan Mohad Ali and Abdul Majid with a Grazie Award, a Marina Bay Sands Rewards and Recognition initiative we have for our Team Members, to celebrate their success in creating Magnificent experiences for our valued guests.
I look forward to you and your partner’s next visit with us to experience more of what we have to offer.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked this direct with the hotel booking a deluxe room and requesting a high floor. I also said that there was a chance I would want to do the half-day rate the following day as my flight wasn't until 11pm that night.

I was checked in by admittedly a friendly and welcoming guy but he tried to put me in room inferior to what I had booked. As if that wasn't bad enough he claimed he had given me "an upgrade and a one time only upgrade" at that. I directly asked him if it was better than the room I had booked and he said yes. It was only thanks to an exceptionally helpful bellboy that I found out the "upgraded room" was terrible. I found this out as I happened to ask him to direct me to the relevant lift and when he saw the room number he said "go back and change it that's a dreadful room on the 2nd floor overlooking a busy road and directly above where the band plays live music".

Now, admittedly I did get a better room on the 37th floor but when I opened the door and went in it was clearly set up for a wedding couple! The beds were draped in red petals and there were chocolate dipped strawberries on the side with an envelope addressed to the people who were supposed to be staying in the room!

Having now checked in over 40 minutes previously I decided to do nothing and just make sure the door had the dead bolt on it when I shut it that night!!!!

I had issues with the key card not working in the lift and my biggest issue was that the toilet didn't flush properly in a £300 a night room! I didn't do anything about this as to be honest I couldn't be bothered - after all I was only there for 24 hours and didn't want to spend it fixing issues with the room and the booking!

On check out I did raise it and they were very good at trying to rectify things when they heard of the issues I'd had. The Front Desk Manager Yenni was very helpful and gave me a complimentary room for 2 hours at 5.30pm so that I could freshen up and have a shower before leaving for the airport. Given it was a 13 hour flight home to the UK this was much appreciated.

So, things I liked about the place....of course the incredibly infinity pool on the 57th floor and the fact you couldn't get into the area without a key card. This area was lovely and very well maintained and looked after. There was enough space to be able to not feel as though everyone was sitting on top of each other. I thought the Shoppes at Marina Bay were brilliant too and only a 5 minute walk from the hotel main lobby area. They have a fantastic food court too.

Things I didn't like - the place is just too huge and lacking in character. It's so huge that service and the little things are lacking and it took me nearly 10 minutes to get from the front desk to my room - that becomes a major headache when things keep going wrong - like the key card not working.

Overall this was an amazing hotel but that's pretty much down to the incredible infinity pool.

I've stayed in 3 other hotels in Singapore on various trips and I'd return to one of these before I went back here based purely on how expensive it was an how poor the service was.

Room Tip: Make sure you are high up and not too near to the road out the front
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear One-and-Only-Aly-G, I regret to learn about the challenges you experienced during your recent visit. Please be assured that your recent experience is not the standard we wish to adhere to at Marina Bay Sands.
I have sent you a private message and I look forward to hearing from you so that we can investigate and improve on the details that you have provided feedback on.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed for 1 night (50th floor on Tower3) before heading to Thailand. We got the 1 bedroom with separate living room and enjoyed the huge space and the huge floor-to-ceiling window. Enjoyed the laser light show from the comfort of our room overlooking from our humongous window. Sumptuous buffet breakfast, breath-taking infinity pool, courteous and polite staff and free shuttle bus to the airport. Loved the huge, comfortable bed (and pillows) most of all plus complimentary TWG teas available. Amazed by how the building was made to a certain curved 90 degree-angle so that you can see the street just below your window.

Negative side: Inspite of the huge room we had, we were surprised to find out that it didn't have a bath tub (for such a luxurious-looking room?), lobby and infinity pool was always jam-packed with guests and non guests, we were mixed with other guests in one circular table during our breakfast bec of limited availability of seats and also bec of such limited space for the restaurant and Kudeta serves over-priced, average-tasting food (there are lots of much better restaurants around).

Overall, it was a 50-50 hotel when weighing the good and the bad (not to mention the exorbitant rates). Just thankful that the bed was heavenly!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Izzowizzo, thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you had the opportunity to catch Wonder Full, our nightly light and water spectacular and that you enjoyed your time at the Sands SkyPark.
With regards to your comment on bathtubs, currently all our room types except for Deluxe Rooms have bath tubs. Please be assured that we do our best to assign our guests with their preferred room types when we have the rooms available.