“definitely the best address in singapore !!!”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #41 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 5, 2011

An upscale hotel that will definitely make each guest elated with the multi-level lobby, the ambiance, quality of service & accommodating staff. Also has numerous shopping options , superb view of the marina bay, esplanade & flyer at the sky park.

Room Tip: horizon level, marina bay view
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank harmony21_11
Pek_ChinSiong, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for your positive review. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit.
We are dedicated to making Marina Bay Sands the world’s most magnificent destination for business, leisure and entertainment.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Marina Bay Sands.

There are newer reviews for Marina Bay Sands

Reviewed May 4, 2011

Tried to take a free shuttle from Changi T1. Driver started to clean the bus exterior despite being late and guests onboard. Asked the driver when to leave and advised that one hour later. I saw bus leaving after I switched to a cab in a minute. Booked Horizon Premier, but no bath tub. Later I discovered Tower 3 Premier rooms have no bath tub. Advised by operator why you asked for tower 3. How would I know. Called room service at midnight. Two minutes to connect, 45m to be delivered. Overall, just experience the amazing pool but that's it.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank A A
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I find it amazing how some can love a place and others absolutely hate it. We had a wonderful experience. Arrived around 6.30pm on a Friday using the free shuttle bus from the airport.
Check in was very quick, we didn't need to line up, probably becasue of the time. I asked the lovely male receptionist for a 'room with a lovely view' and he very nicely upgraded us to the 37th floor. That made our day!
Porters quickly came to collect our suitcases, but we opted to take them ourselves as it was only a short walk to the lift.
On inserting the keycard in the slot the curtains opened to reveal a magnificent view of a lovely evening in Singapore, from the floor to ceiling windows.
The room was huge, magnificent, luxury, everything you could ask for. The bathroom larger than some hotel rooms with a huge free standing bath tub, separate shower, toilet and double basins, with lovely toiletries.
So far so good.
We wanted to see the sun set, so quickly went up to the 57th floor and what a view from there. It was reasonably crowded with both clients and the general public, but still room to move and get up close to the rail and take photos etc.
We had a drink at the Ku de Ta Bar, which was a tad expensive at about $20 for a Bellini champagne, and $15 for a beer....but we were paying for the view as well.
After sun set we ventured around the huge complex, down to the casino, the shopping mall and the food court. There is also a skating rink. We had a nice meal at the food court which was slightly crowded. (But you can't complain about crowds as its not a problem with the hotel!)
We slept wonderfully in our very quiet room on a most comfortable mattress.
Breakfast was no problem at all. We were taken immediately to a nice secluded table for two. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, but what I had was perfectly nice. Our coffee was constantly topped up.
We checked out at 12.30 which was quite painless again, being offered champagne while waiting in the short line. I had forgotten to call back our driver to confirm pick up and the receptionist found the number and dialled it for me to reconfirm.
We were collected in a Black Mercedes (still not sure if this was part of the hotel service or an extra our T/A had arranged). The driver was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and informative and drove us to Harbourfront to commence the next leg of our journey.
So, in conclusion, we loved the Marina Bay Sands as everything ran smoothly and was perfect for us.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jonadPerth
aacortes, Senior Vice President - Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experiences on the various aspects of our services, including check in and check out, breakfast and our transportation services.

Your comments encourage us to consistently strive for excellence. Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back at Marina Bay Sands.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I was reading the most recent posts on this website and I have to concur. This hotel is horrible (in the most horrible sense)! It was supposed to be a weekend getaway for me and my girlfriend and we were expecting to be wow-ed, but instead we were left utterly frustrated and disappointed.

My first negative experience came even before I checked in! I made my reservation via the hotel's website. It wasn't until a few days later did I receive a confirmation email on my booking, and this was ONLY AFTER I sent them a follow-up email to inquire about it.

The confirmation email stated that I could check-in at either Towers 1 or 3 and provided NO INFORMATION on parking for vehicles. Naturally, I drove my car to one of the towers, only to be told by hotel staff that the carpark entrance is located on the opposite side of the road where the convention centre and shops were. Hence, I had to make a detour. There were road signs indicating where the carpark was but those who do not know better will think that this carpark was only meant for people heading to the shops and convention centre. I parked my car under the section marked "Hotel". You would think that the elevators/escalators at the carpark would lead you up to the hotel. NO IT DOESN'T! It leads up to the shops and it took us at least another 15 minutes of walking before we got to the hotel.

Next up is the check-in experience. The actual check-in process was alright - took about 10 minutes. But we had to queue for about 30 mins before we got our turn! When we first joined the queue, there was a family of tourists at the front. They were complaining about not being served despite having waited in line for one hour! I believe that check-in times are usually bottlenecked at the housekeeping and reception levels. From my experience with other 5 star hotels in Singapore, checking in at 2pm and checking out at 12pm is the norm. Marina Bay Sands' check-in and check-out times are 3pm and 11am respectively. This is already an additional 2 hours for housekeeping to ready the rooms for new guests. At reception, there were four staff serving the check-in crowd of about 5-7 groups at that time. Therefore, the only logical reason that I could think of for the appalling waiting time is lack of manpower. But then, is this a justifiable excuse? After all, guests are paying 5-star rates, and they should be getting 5-star service.

Sometime later, I realised that I had forgotten to inquire about the complimentary access card for use when exiting the carpark the next day. I was checked-in at Tower 3 and had approached the reception there to make my inquiry. To my dismay, they were unable to provide me with the information that I needed and I was told to approach the valet service counter at Tower 1, which was at the other end of the building - a 5 min walk. I finally reached the valet service counter and once again made the same inquiry. Another piece of dismal news - MBS does not provide complimentary parking for its hotel guests and a fee of $6 is required. $6 is not a big amount and I can very well afford it. But what peeves me is the knowledge that MBS has the cheek to charge ITS OWN HOTEL GUESTS for parking when most other (if not all) hotels in Singapore provide complimentary access. Why are guests not informed of this beforehand? Surely MBS does not expect all its guests to be foreigners? Also, I think that my question was a very basic question which the reception staff could have handled. Telling a guest to do a 5 min walk for such a simple matter does not reflect well on the hotel's service standards at all.

My experience the next day was no better. I got woken by sounds of highway traffic and construction drilling at about 9am. Just some background information before I proceed - the MBS project was a massive undertaking with the Singapore government. However, there was some delay and they had no choice but to open only certain parts of the estate to the public, the hotel being one of those opened earlier (recall that MBS is made up of several components i.e. hotel, shops, convention centre etc). There was still construction work going on at an adjacent compound that is directly linked to the hotel, hence the drilling that I heard. As for the highway traffic - the hotel is located NEXT TO a major highway, so probably at least half of the hotel occupants will have the highway as the view in their rooms. So yes - MORE sound proofing work needs to be done for these rooms!

To be honest, I was glad that the check-out time for MBS is an hour earlier than the norm as I was eager to leave. Given that this hotel's rack rates are not cheap, guests ARE ENTITLED to gain access to top notch amenities and service. Regretfully, this was sorely lacking in both aspects. I recall seeing this whilst using the "Check In" feature for Facebook - "Marina Bay Sands Hotel - this place is ridiculous". I absolutely agree.

Last but not least, a word of advice to my traveler friends - there are many quality hotels in Singapore, especially around the Marina Bay area where MBS is located. Some examples include The Ritz Carlton, The Mandarin Oriental and The Marina Mandarin (good value for money). Please make your hotel bookings there. =)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wongj
Reviewed May 2, 2011

The Marina Bay Sands truly is the new landmark of Singapore and as such an amazing sight. However, with apparently more than 10,000 staff, training probably must be something that happens on the job, which might be why the service does not (yet) live up to full five star standards. There is also a lot of construction going on around the hotel, in particular towards the waterfront, and the first room that was assigned to us was on a low floor looking directly at the highway that is right in front of the hotel and the construction site beyond it. Having said this, the hotel is brandnew and the rooms are clean, come with huge TV screens, a nice bathroom with a free standing tub and all amenities that would be expected from a top notch casino hotel. Restaurants and shops are abundant and further dining and shopping options are still being added. The infinity pool at the top of the hotel is amazing and probably a good enough reason to stay at Marina Bay Sands for a night or two. To sum it up, Marina Bay Sands is definitely a must-see and worthwile a short-time stay. But (unless you are a serious gambler for which the location next to the casino is most important) for longer stays I would not recommend it as the service needs improvement and as a mega hotel/tourist attraction with no focus on treating guests according to their individual needs does not provide a "feeling-at-home" atmosphere.

Room Tip: if seaview: high floor because of construction
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dominik78
aacortes, Senior Vice President - Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you chose to stay with us.

You are correct to say that the 150-meter infinity swimming pool at the SkyPark is a very popular attraction amongst our hotel guests.

We have been focusing intensely on service improvement training for our 8,500 Team Members on top of their daily work improvement trainings. Your comments are greatly appreciated as they help us to make Marina Bay Sands better every day.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in future.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

I had no problems at all. Although I didn't time it, check in couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes max. I asked the reception staff if my room was a club room facing the city, with a king bed and non smoking as I had booked and she confirmed it was and that's exactly what I got. The room was exactly what I expected, clean, large, tastefully furnished with a comfy king bed, TV, work desk etc. Bathroom was large and well appointed. Overall the room was no worse than a similar grade room at any other 5 star hotel.

I had no problem with my bags, no problem with the service, no problem with breakfasts, no problem with the pool being crowded because it wasn't most of the time when I was there, no problem with room service, no problem with housekeeping barging in or not cleaning my room, no problem with staff that couldn't speak English because all of the ones I talked to spoke English, no problem with rude staff, on the contrary they were all very nice. All in all I had no problems, none, zero, nada.

My experience was anything but frightfully shocking and I am more inclined to believe the hype and publicity than the complaints because to me the hype and publicity delivered and I saw and experienced nothing to support the complaints.

Personally it really doesn't matter to me if a perfect stranger who reads this decided to stay at the MBS or not, but if a friend or relative asked if I would recommend it to them my answer would be yes, go, enjoy and I have no doubt they would.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank DJForrestfire

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and did not encounter any problems during your visit.

Thank you for your support and we sincerely appreciate that you would recommend us to your friends and family.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Marina Bay Sands.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed in MBS with some family members. We got the rooms as part of the package. The location is great and there are busses just beside, and a 10 minute walk brings you to Suntec City/MRT (Circle line). The infinity pool on the top is worth a visit and offers breathtaking views of Singapore. We stayed for a couple of nights there and seem we started to have a tough luck on the first night (evening) itself. The room is facing a major highway (AYE) and west sun, so the room is pretty hot even though the A/C is on. Ironically the A/C temp adjustment seems not working. So after about 30 min the service staff came and ‘adjusted’ the settings. The guy keeps on mumbling and sure needs to improve his English 

Second day we started with pretty good energy levels and we had a short visit to the infinity pool on the top. Views are breathtaking and just Google for the pics. I’d say this is the best part of the hotel. Not a lot of variety for food and food is terribly expensive. Same goes for shopping areas. The canals are pretty clean (much better than any other Venetian places) and I’d say being in Singapore this can be taken for granted.

In a one line summary, the place is more for business folks rather than a casual visitor or family visit.

Pros:
Location and easy access to attractions
Newly constructed (still in great condition) & contemporary designs.
Casino just at the ground floor and 10 min drive to sentosa & resort world sentosa

Cons:

Service needs lots of improvement
Not family friendly (IMHO)
Expensive