“Loved it! Infinity pool, the Club, the staff, all great!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #33 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane
“Loved it! Infinity pool, the Club, the staff, all great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

We are an average Aussie family of 4 (two teenage boys). We booked 2x connecting Club rooms. The hotel was fantastic from the start. Fast club check in, rooms huge and the view!

Boys loved the infinity pool (of course!) and we loved the Club. Staff in the club were the best we had come across, miss you guys!

Small downside was the location, but taxis were always available, less than 2 minutes wait.

Very happy with our stay and based on this experience this is the only hotel for us next Singapore trip.
(we have previously stayed at MO and PanPac).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bobman477

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,134)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Decided to book a 3 night weekend and stay at MBS. Upon arrival at 430pm on a Friday afternoon we had to line up to check in. There were many staff on-hand at the counter and the waiting time was minimal. The ambiance of the lobby was not good. I felt like I was in a train station or in the middle of a shopping mall. The check-in area should be a bit more exclusive and perhaps a carpeted area with some soft couches or sofas to segregate it from the main hall. We were happy to know that we had been upgraded. We did not ask for this but felt we were off to a great start. The young lady checking us in was pleasant and took the time to write everything down on our key card envelope as to where the pool, gym and Marina Bay Club were located. She indicated that we could avail of the Marina Bay Club but breakfast would not be included and we would need to pay for drinks. In my opinion - if you upgrade someone, it should not come with conditions. However, we were happy to have a nice room with a better view. The room was in Tower 2 and had an amazing view of Marina Bay. This is what you are paying for - and it is spectacular. After unpacking we headed up to the pool to take a look. Amazing to say the least. However, this is where things started to slide. There are far too many people from the public viewing area lurking around taking pictures and posing. The pool area ( adults only section) is right near Ku De Ta and the public view area. The public should not be able to access anywhere near the pool area at all. There was a rope across the entry to the adult area that said "Hotel Guests Only" - but many "would be" photographers managed to slip passed without security confirming if they were hotel guests or not . There were some billowy "curtains" which were placed along the back end of the "adult" only section. But the general public would constantly stick their arms through with their cameras to take pictures. It was very irritating to constantly watch people pose and act like they were movie stars or something. It was very difficult to truly relax when having to always hear cameras clicking and the constant "oohs and ahhhs". The public area is fantastic in itself and would provide an adequate viewing experience without allowing entry to the one end of the pool area. MBS - you need to do something about this.
Just before sunset we decided to go into the Marina Bay Club for a drink. We were stopped at the door while they checked our room number and name. We were abruptly told that we had a "free" upgrade but no benefits. I explained that we wanted to have a drink and were quite willing to pay for it. I was told If we wanted to access the Marina Bay Club we would need a letter of invite from the front desk 57 floors below. Embarrassed ( there were others in the line behind me), I gave in and walked away. Felt a bit like a fool trying to get something for free.
We then walked over to Skypark 57 for a drink. We asked the security personnel standing outside the restaurant if there was a bar inside where we could have a drink? She thought I said "spa" and tried to direct me elsewhere. Eventually when I finally got through to her that we were looking for a place to have a drink only, she said she "had no idea" but to "check inside". We went to the entrance but were told we needed to be wearing long pants to enter. No problem, we though we would just nip back to the room and change. On our way back to the bar we bumped into other hotel residents in the lift , bare chested and wearing bathing suits but no shoes , obviously just having had come out of the pool. Why are guests permitted to walk around like that? hey would have had to walk past security before getting into the lift? Finally, we managed to get into Skypark 57 for the long awaited drink. We were given a menu which indicated on the bottom a minimum charge during "happy hour". When we asked the waiter about "happy hour" he said they don't have it. When we questioned the menu and the reference to "Happy Hour", he just seem very "blurr".. We ordered two drinks which came quite quickly and we settled down to enjoy the view. After about half an hour we were ready for a second drink. The waiter could not be found anywhere. The service on the outside area was poor and no one seemed to care that there were paying guests outside. Eventually we stopped one of the staff who looked like a manager and arranged another round of drinks. They appeared to be "on the house" as they were not added to our final bill.
We decided to go out for dinner away from the hotel , by this time we were beginning to feel a bit irritated at the poor service overall. When we went to the taxi stand, there was no line for hotel guests. It was like leaving the shopping mall. Eventually we were shepherded into a waiting black taxi. We only discovered after he pulled out that this was a premium car and we would have to pay more than double the normal taxi fee. The hotel staff never mentioned this when they waved the cab over for us. Yet another unpleasant surprise. At dinner we decided that we would check out of MBS first think in the morning an move to another hotel. We ended up at Ritz Carlton. Better rate, much better service and we left feeling genuinely appreciated. MBS is a must if you want to check out the pool and the view. I recommend you stay at another hotel nearby (Ritz Carlton is excellent) and pay the 20.00 fee to view the public area of MBS. If you are lucky you might be able to slip past the rope and take a few poses by the pool.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Nagoya, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

The hotel is incredibly gorgeous. The rooms are huge and the pool is..THE POOL.

But the service was simply horrible. You are supposed to be in a luxury hotel , and it looks like luxury..but you don't feee it. I felt that the hotel doesn't have enought persons working in the hotel.

Reception: The best: Regina: she was great all the time. Similing, giving great sevice..the only one who knows her job. The worst: Joy , she gave me bad faces, not polite and gave me the wrong indications.

Concierge: Imagine that they don't exist. Really. They just confuses you and make you loose your time.

Bell boy: mmm... the guy helped me with my luggage with tiers but didn't with the real heavy ones...

Turning down service: just if you ask for it...in a luxury hotel... you shouldn't suppose to ask for something ..OBVIOUS!

Pool: great pool but the staff..again..horrible. I asked them for a pic and they looked mad at me. Not enough water and when you ask for it they send you to the other side of the pool..and they don't have it either...

"Refresh, hospitability": the worst ever! they just give you 30 minutes from the time they give you the card ( yes sure, 2 guest taking shower and get ready in less than 30 minutes???) Here, Joy..the worst ever! Didn't know the meaning of "refresh" so, I needed to say " I want to take shower" Finally she got what it means! Then , I was in tower 1, she sent me to tower 3.. when the room was in tower 1.. to find the room .. I was lucky to find Regina (a great staff) and sent me with another person to the room ...at that time I already used 15~20 minutes. How about that? I had 10 minutes remaining then. The room is shared for all the people who wants to use it, so when you want to take shower..the shower is not clean for you...is like a public shower... When I got to the room there was a family there..needed to wait for one person in the shower and then I went to shower. I made everything in the fastest way but I took more than an hour: getting lost thanks to Joy, waiting for the shower and finally took a shower!

Ice: it took 20 minutes to get ice! First because I called concierge who "asked" for it, waited 10 minutes, the called "priority services" and they didn't have any message from concierge so I asked again for ice. Then, it took another 10 minutes. 20 minutes for ice? why don't they better put an ice machine?

In conclusion, you will have a great time just because the hotel is gorgeous. If I would be in any other hotel with that service... no way. You forgive all this just because of the pool. But next time, absolutely I would go to Mandarin Oriental that has a much greater service. Not the same gorgeus building..but they know how to make you feel special and give you great service. Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ikuhotel
MiguelCoder, Chief Operating Officer at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to submit this feedback.
We are sorry that you have encountered these challenges during your stay with us. We have taken note of your comments and will share your feedback with the respective departments.
We seek to continuously improve on our service. Your comments are sincerely appreciated as they help us to make Marina Bay Sands better every day.
Peppermint Grove Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

We too read many of the reviews on TA when deciding where to book in both Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. At first I almost ruled out the MBS but the more negative reviews I read the more I got the impression many if not most weren't genuine.

We have nothing but praise and thanks to all the MBS staff we encountered for making our stay one of the most pleasurable holiday experiences ever. Right from the onset we were warmly greeted and our check in was a breeze. The room (Club room) was amazing with all the amenities anyone could reasonably expect from a 5 star hotel. I loved the bed so much I wish I had one just like it at home. The Club on the 57th floor is unique and truly worth the extra paid for a club room. The pool however would have been much better had it been heated. I am surprised that the architects didn't have the sense and foresight to make it a heated pool but that is the only downside we experienced and the many upsides of the MBS more than compensated for that one minor disappointment..

The location isn't central but taxis are very cheap there although that may be relative to what people are accustomed to. They're certainly much cheaper than in Australia and better regulated than in KL, but then again if you have an issue with the cost of taxis I wonder why book at one of the most expensive hotels in Singapore.

3 Thank Bob_Rob54
Thank you for choosing Marina Bay Sands and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We greatly appreciate your kind words regarding our Team Members.
Our goal is to continuously improve on our service to ensure our guests enjoy their experience here at Marina Bay Sands.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

Overall our stay was very good. However there were a couple of issues.
Buying tickets for the Lion King (On the front desk recommendation) was a process. It took close to 1/2 hour to get out tickets as our room number had not been issued as yet. a $1000 note could also not be accepted for ~$400 worth of tickets.

The Skypark and restaurant on 57 were fantastic and highly recommended.

We had arranged a late checkout of 3pm, however had been locked out of our room by 2pm. Not great when you've been at the pool. An uncomfortable trip down to the lobby while still damp to have new cards issued for the remaining hour was not great. No offer of redress either which seemed odd.
(Other hotels we've stayed at have often offered some sort of compensation/apology for more minor issues without having to be asked. a complimentary breakfast/spa voucher for example.)

1 Thank Avesh84
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you have encountered these challenges during your stay with us. We will look into the matters of ticketing and late check out, and will review the processes accordingly.
Your comments are sincerely appreciated as they help us to make Marina Bay Sands better every day. We hope that you enjoyed The Lion King, and look forward to welcoming you back at Marina Bay Sands.
Johns Creek, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

Hated to leave the Marina Bay Sands Hotel... what a place! It is truly unique and the personnel is the most attentive, friendly and courteous we have ever encoutered in a hotel. The hotel is extremely well run and considering it's size, this is quite a feat. The rooms are lovely; sparkling clean, very well equiped, comfortable and with a view to die for! The 57th floor pool is a jewel - can't wait to go back!

3 Thank AlbaR14
Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back at Marina Bay Sands, the leading business, leisure and entertainment destination in Asia.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

The pool and the view is amazing. We swam every morning. It was very relaxing. Although it could have been magnificent if the pool was heated. The location is far from everything you have to take a taxi to go anywhere. And taxi can be expensive. We seem to leave every rush hour and our taxi bill doubles. The room is big and clean but plain looking. The view from the room is awesome. The fitness center is very big. There were many machines and you had a great view working out.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had the chance to enjoy the pool and the newly completed Banyan Tree Fitness Club.
Taxi fare in Singapore can indeed be pricier during rush hour with applicable surcharges taken into account.
We look forward to seeing you again at Marina Bay Sands.