“Stay away!”
Review of Hotel 81 Lucky

Hotel 81 Lucky
Ranked #34 of 82 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I did not know that the area (Geylang) was Prostitution Capital of Singapore when I booked the hotel. There were loads of women on the street, accosting me as a single male traveller, and I did not enjoy the experience. This hotel lets hookers in, so it's not a suitable hotel for tourists to use. The staff is not particularly nice, never saw anyone smile at the guests, and when I checked out there was suddenly an additional charge on my bill! They took it off, but it was never explained how it got there in the first place, so watch their charges carefully. I chose this hotel as it was near an MRT station, but now that I know Singapore better, I will never stay in Geylang again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank t a

Reviewed November 20, 2011

This place is about as cheap as we could find in Singapore (which is alot more than other parts of SE Asia).
We had heard that the area it is in is the red light district of Singapore but that it was safe enough and we didnt have much choice as most budget places are here.
When we arrived at the hotel it was pretty much what we expected, clean, small, simple, a bit dingy but what you would imagine for the price etc. The wifi is free and works well and you get a kettle to make tea and coffee which was nice.
The sheets are clean, if a little worn (some little holes but nothing to lose sleep over) and the bed was comfy enough.
We arrived in the morning and were allowed to check in early which we were very relieved about, the staff were friendly and helpful.
Going back to the location, we werent sure what to expect having heard about the red light district etc, but we were very pleasently surprised by Gaylang, it is a real mix of people, shops, restaurants, culture... the place has a buzz to it, in a really good way in my opinion.
In the day, you can see that the area is likely to be not the most upmarket, but you wouldnt know it was a RL district, and at night although this may become more apparent, it never seems to be a problem, people just do there thing and neither me nor my girlfriend felt uncomfortable or unsafe at any point. We walked around, shopped, ate and had a few drinks around the area at all different times of the day, from lunches in one of the many many 'hawlker stand' style eating areas (We tried many different dishes, were helped by locals when we didnt understand menus and never had a bad meal!) to beers at 11pm in these same places that become social hang outs in the evening!
Overall our stay in was a good one, we would stay in this hotel again, it is plenty good enough to rest your head, which is all you need while exploring Singapore, and we loved the location not just for Gaylang itself, but as it is near to the MRT and so easy to get around from.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Two twin HARD beds, breakfast was Okay, but get there early, the food is warmer. A good place to stay if you want just a bed, location was good.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Minestering8x
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The hotel is located in Gaylang (they say it is the red light district of Singapore). But I guess the area is not that bad, still safe. You can find many affordable hotels in the area. Hotel 81 is just the right choice. The receptionist was accomodating. The room is clean, comfort room with complete toiletries. TV and free wifi. No good view from the windows though. The hotel is just a few blocks from the train station so going to and from the hotel is easy. For a budget hotel (esp in SG where everything is expensive), I think this one was actually worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank KatriKarla
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Real simple, budget hotel for travelers out there.

Recommendable for solo traveler who does not spend much on hotel and just need a near-decent place to rest.

I doubt to recommend for couple travelers, it might be not fun for two.

Bathroom is 2 out of 5 with traces of hard-to-clean dirt.

Wi-fi is available for a cost.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank GBert T
Reviewed August 16, 2011

simply cheap. 10 minutes walk to Aljunied MRT station, it is exhausted if we walk on sunny hot day, but plenty of food store nearby, the room is clean, lots of prostitute girl offer their "services" at night. but i do not feel disturbed at all. the staff was very nice. helping me printing the airline ticket. so recommended hotel for tight budget.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Andes132
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Had a 15 hour layover in Singapore and wanted a good nights sleep. Got cheap room rate $S50 ( approx $AUD40).

Room very small, but that didn't matter as I just wanted a bed.

Room smelt mouldy, tiles look moldy, but I don't think that is new, just old ingrained stains.

Shower worked well enough.

Got Travel power adaptor at reception, asked for it and had to ask for wi-fi password too.

Reception staff not that friendly, very matter of fact.

Mattress was vinyl - had a thin sheet (not fitted sheet) on top of it with small holes in it.

Could ignore that for the cost as Singapore is so expensive for a room.

Tend to stick to the sheet during the night due to the vinyl bed.

Aircon worked well. Room very spartan.

All in all - the smell was off putting . If you don't plan to spend much time in your room, probably ok.

Room Tip: I requested and got a room away from the elevators, but that is just personal choice