“Glorified Youth Hostel”

Ranked #122 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Glorified Youth Hostel”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

If you do not have the agility of a mountain goat do not stay here, I am an amateur athlete and in excellent shape but I was genuinely concerned making my way around the almost prison cell like rooms. Frankly the design of the rooms is poor (shower beside the door, beds stuffed into a half height ceiling, stairs and desk that integrate .. bizarre). Also be aware that there is no restuarant / room service though plenty in the vicinity. Bit of a hunt (and addt. cost) to find breakfast. Trendy, glorified youth hostel .. that trys hard .. and we all love a tryer. Staff were fine.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sportbilly121
StudioMHotel, General Manager at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Sportbilly121,

We appreciate your feedback efforts.

We would like to advise that the café, Espressamente illy, on Level 1 operates 24/7. The Room service menus in guest compendiums are placed in all rooms and orders are taken 24/7.

Once again, thank you for your comments and regret any inconveniences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed in this Hotel for one Week. Service in general was more or less non existent. When we arrived 5 people from staff stood at the counter and no one even cared to help bringing in our luggage. Through the whole stay no one ever was of help, greeted or even looked up from their computers at the counter when we entered or left the building. All together you got the impression, that the staff really doesn't care about their customers or who is going in or out of the building. They rather prefer watching videos on Youku on their iMacs. Luckily the elevators are secured by your key card. Otherwise I would have even been concerned about my valuables in my room.
Best part was, that on our third day the fire alarm went off. Through a speaker we were advised to stay calm in our room until the situation has been investigated. After at least half an hour and no further information, we decided to get our most important stuff and exited the building using the fire escape. When we came out, all the staff was standing outside of the Hotel, smoking and chatting and again no one even noticed us. So we went to the front desk and asked about the situation. There we were told, that all of this was just a fire drill which should be over soon. When we asked why they didn't inform us, they just said that we should have gotten a circular the day before. Sadly the maids simply forgot to clean our room the day before, and even when we complained about that, no one thought of telling us about the drill.
We didn't even get an excuse from the guy at the front desk, that this has happened.
All in all you feel treated like in a youth hostel. Actually I even stayed in youth hostels with better service.... None of the Staff seems to feel responsible for anything there.

Regarding the rooms. The design and layout is nice but impracitcal. You don't even have enough space for storing your luggage in the room. The rooms themselves are tiny and at best good for one person. They really are way smaller than it seems on the pictures.
Although this Hotel is only open for a few months, it already shows first signs of beeing run down.
I won't stay in that hotel a second time and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Especially considering the rates of the rooms, service should be way better and the rooms should have more space.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisSoe1980
StudioMHotel, The Management at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Dear Feierteifl,

We view your feedback very seriously and would like to assure that training and guidance for staff at all levels is an on-going effort to deliver attentive service at all times.

As safety and security of our guests being an important aspect at all times, fire drills are carried out regularly at the hotel. During such instances, notices are placed in the main lobby and its lift landing on level 1 including all guest rooms to ensure guests are well informed.

We appreciate your feedback efforts and apologise for the instances where our staff communication may have fallen short and must be appropriate at all times.

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Houston
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Even though the hotel is ran by the Millennium Hotel group, the disappointment started at the check in counter and just got worse from there. First, when I arrived from the airport, nobody from the hotel staff bothered to help me with my luggage. I was struggling with three suit cases and the staff was busy chatting with other guests and didn't even tried to hold the door for me. Too much for that 4 star customer service as it claimed! Then, the check in clerk could not even find my reservation even though it was prepaid! Once I entered the room (studio type), i could no longer bear the more disappointment. The room was so small that the upper studio floor fits exactly the bed! The flat screen tv was also small. Then come the bathroom. You barely can fit one person in there! I paid $143 USD for that tiny little room! The hotel claims its decor to be contemporary and avant garde but with everything so small and fits closely together how can that be? The decor is not even compatible with a three star hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nathantran
Dear Nathantran,

We appreciate your feedback efforts.

We strive to meet the expectations of our guests at all times and appreciate your kind understanding where we may have fallen short.

Thank you.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I booked this over the internet a day before arriving from KL. which was fine got the booking number by text etc. arrived thinking the worst after coming from KL so it was nice to arrive to a trendy hotel. The porters were great arriving and leaving! My bags and taxi's were taken are off with a smile! The porters deserve a rise! infact put them as the reception staff as they took so long! Reception staff.??..... I was told I needed to have a printed copy of the confirmation of the booking before they could help me?! I said it was done on the internet and I have my booking number by text, they said sorry, you need the piece of paper, not happy, had to call back to australia to get a copy faxed to the hotel! that didn't seem to help anyway, still took along time and they reserved $900 singapore dollars on my creditcard. The girl serving me spoke to the other three girls in her language and they all looked at me and where laughing and putting their hands to thier faces laughing? i asked if there was something wrong? she said that thier computer system was down? and asked if I had paid and how much? did it include tax???? and what room I booked? uummm lucky I am honest, it was all in the piece of paper I HAD FAXED!!! finally worked out, got to the room, yes small, but it was clean, trendy and great location. it was a 10 min walk to orchard rd (shopping malls) and 10 mins along the river to Clarkes Quay where you can get the train. its along the river where you can have seat or a drink or meal along the river, or even a cruise, i perfer there than right in the heart of the city.
I was happy with room, did get fresh towels and water and anything I used was replaced. it wasn't vaccumed, but the bed sheets were changed each day, aircon was fine, view was great, loved the big windows, the loft design, the decor. Very happy and would stay again. good price singapore $640 for 4 nights.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LouLou1233
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Check in quite acceptable; took our own suitcases to our room - nice not to have fuss of bellboy. Room small but space management excellent - good storage. Bed very comfortable, air con no problem at all. Floor are very small but there is a usable mezzanine level fitted out with a work area if you want it. And a fold out 3rd single bed/chair if you wanted to squeeze in 3. But 3 adults would be pushing it. Shower room small but good hot shower. Bathroom tiny and a bit of a pong from the drain. Excellent pool and gym. Breakfast good for the price - and included in the Agoda rate, whereas many places would charge extra Sing$10-20 for a brekkie. Breakfast area can get crowded. Good location on the river and adjacent to many nice bars and restaurants, and 5-10m walk from Clarke Quay. 15m walk to Clarke Quay MRT station, but its a nice walk. Excellent "Book Cafe" right across the road. Go there instead of inhouse Illy place.
If you dont need a big fancy room but want a modern room with a good sleep and shower, this is hard to beat in Singapore for the price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2010

lovely designer rooms as others have raised. very functional. loved the huge windows for views and natural light. service is very patchy - some excellent, some far from it - but thats Singapore. concierge(s) was very helpful. sleep quality & free wifi was excellent but the aircon as mentioned was tricky to get right. 25m Lap pool & well setup gym (outside & well ventilated but not aircon). so as not to repeat the same comments over we'll add our tips for the area: Japanese supermarket under the Liang centre is a must for top-ups and supplies and excellent quality sushi (which is marked down at ~7.30pm each day for a picnic on the river for cheapskates). MRT stations Clarke Quay or Chinatown are walking distance.15-20min or about $4 in taxi. MRT to airport for ~$2.50 is good value, otherwise taxi ~ $28. good walking & jogging track on river out the front. Boat Quay Number 56 great Chinese food at very good prices right on River (we're told by the locals that people sitting on the river tables pay more than those on the "shop" side of the footpath. New Illy coffee shop in hotel foyer passable quailty coffee but staff not so great. Drinks are heavily taxed in singapore so expensive (even in supermarkets) - the bargain of the week is Wednesday ladies night all over singapore where ladies get into clubs for free and get free drink vouchers - party all night for next to nothing. great yum cha on sundays at Red Star in Chinatown - worth the queue - v near hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Check-in was slow, carried my bags to my room. Room as per other reviews was snug. Bathroom was tiny but adequate for single traveller not intent on living in the bathroom. Had upstairs bed, two lcd tvs in a room that would not have felt out of place on a cruise ship (small, confined). Location is ok but taxis not easy to get in the evening. Room had been cleaned but a few things missed (hair on the floor). Would not recommend for more than one person and definitely not for those with kids (or traveller likely to engage in alcohol consumption) as stairs to bed was an accident waiting to happen. Internet sevice was free but very slow. May look hip and cool but there are cooler, cheaper and more comfortable places to stay in Singapore.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business