“Very Happy”
Review of Studio M Hotel

Studio M Hotel
Ranked #286 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was a very good base to have in singapore, clean tidy modern, and everything easy to get to walking or using the MRT. Would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bubbaopos
Write a ReviewReviews (2,462)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Trendy lobby sets a stylish welcome to this well located hotel. Walking across the glass sided "skybridge" to get to my 9th floor loft was a cool experience in daytime or nighttime. So, my bed was on the lower level with an office area upstairs if you dared venture up the stairs. I had a massive glass wall with great views over Singapore, quite unique really. As stated in other reviews, the toilet and shower room are split, with a sink in the main area - why they did this I have no idea at all? I had no musty smell in my room, but I can imagine that water spilling out of the shower room presents a real problem and a headache for the cleaning staff. My shower door was pretty much swollen up from all the water running down it, but you could still pull it closed. This hotel will cause split opinions. I loved it, but I wouldn't send my parents here. If you want something a little unusual, not too worried about space and like a nice comfy bed and great premium cable tv channels & free wi-fi then go for it. Conventional it is not, but who needs that? I would still stay here again. You'll have to make up your own mind.

Room Tip: 9th floor was awesome for the views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe_90_Dublin
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The star is for the free wifi by the way, which is ok a lot of the time,
but which also has a habit of logging you out without warning, so switch off your phone's data roaming if you don't want to to be caught out.

Sorry but I can't remember feeling more depressed in a hotel than this, and it price is on a par with top class Singapore hotels like the Fairmont and Swissotel.

You will have read about the radical room design. Split level, bed down desk and sofa up. Problem is there is no space down for anything but the bed, and in a hotel that's where you tend to stay. The upper area is poky and unattractive, like the tiny forgotten corner of the home you neglected, no tv and nothing at all to commend it. The view is of other cells. And the damp smell. I discovered where it was coming from when i unfolded the sofa bed, and the immediate response was one of choking nausea. I guess this is because the sink is in the main room just under the sofa bed area and the damp air is heading straight upwards. The overall feeling is of claustrophobia and isolation, like a tiny prison cell with no space to pace. The isolation is enhanced by the fact that the location is a long long way from mrt stations so taxi or car are the main options. This area of Robertson quay is also pretty quiet, with a few upmarket restaurants or bars. The nearest supermarket is in ue2 about 10 minutes walk away. No feeling of the great city of Singapore when you walk out the door.

The clientele here appear to be hip and trendy young things with pointy hair and sharp shoes. Someone mentioned elves in another review. Now there's a thought. There is this strange sensation that you have landed in a far off place, with no way home. The reception desk in the tiny lobby is like something out of a discount version of star trek. The pool is small and rectangular without atmosphere or view. Ditto the gym. There are few facilities. Weird. I don't dislike modern hotels. I spend much of my life in them these days, and what they need to do is create a welcome feeling that makes you sad when you check out. This place is an unmitigated disaster, trendiness for the sake of it.

Sorry, as I said its all a matter of taste. Millenium, what were you thinking?

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sad_koala
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here for two weeks whilst working in our Singapore office. I was quite happy with this hotel booked through laterooms.com. On arrival I was shown to my room and given information about the local area, I did initially think the room smelled a little musty but I either got used to it or realised that Singapore can get a bit sweaty and this was just a consequence of the climate. The wifi details I was given on arrival did not work but reception gave me an alternative when I called to notify them. There is a bus stop nearby but the closest MRT stop is a mission away which I'd warn you about if this is how you plan to travel. There is a good selection of restaurants nearby on the river and Chinatown is also only a 15 minute walk away. The breakfast in the morning was good with bacon, ham, cerials, bakery and juices all available in a buffet. I also used the gym which was basic but had what I needed whilst the pool was nice to cool down in. The room was cleaned every day and laundry service offered. I'd have no issues if I had to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our first time in Singapore and on arrival at the hotel at 8.30am being told we couldn't check in till 2.00pm but they were brill and got a room sorted for us by 11. (gave us time to go for a walk around the area.
We didn't eat in the hotel, but had a cake and glass of wine in the coffee shop and they were rather nice. all be it expensive
The room is small i have to say and the bed is against the wall on 2 sides which isn't ideal. the Air con is good i have to say and needed. The swimming pool area is really nice with some nice views of the city. and some shade which at some point is needed.
The hotel is in a great area loads of bars and places to eat (hannibles is just the best)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ideally located next to several restaurants, pubs, night life and other tourist attractions. A very decent hotel with friendly and co-operative staff.The room, WC and shower space are a bit crammed especially for tall persons. The bed on the loft with limited head room may not be liked by many. Hotel has standard good and decent facility. Nearest MRT is 10 minutes walk. Taxis are available from the hotel. Due to formula 1 race, the hotel rates were very high during our 3 days stay.

Room Tip: For tall persons the crammed room, WC, Shower and bed in the loft may not be such a good idea when c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is my second time stayed at Studio M. I love the neighborhood and the unique concept (loft concept).

Well, rooms are small, but they know how to make it look more spacious.
Very nice area, quiet but lots of bars and restaurants nearby. I found a Japanese bar that sells a wide range of sake near hotel.

I recommend this hotel but not for families.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends