“Cool Loft Rooms”
Review of Studio M Hotel

Studio M Hotel
Ranked #292 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a really trendy hotel; every room is designed into an open plan, split mezzanine loft with the bedroom on the top floor.
Yes it is quite compact, but we really liked that, especially the clever use of space and quirky features.
Just a stone’s throw away from Clarke Quay, where you'll find an endless choice of bars, clubs and restaurants, this hotel is ideal for young travellers wishing to explore Singapore.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed here for four nights.
Studio M Hotel is a smart business hotel in a great location. It is a short walk to Roberson Quay and then to Clark Quay, which are both full of busy bars and restaurants. It is not near any MRTs (underground stations) but taxis are cheap in comparison to the rest of the world so this was not a problem.
We were upgraded for free to the deluxe suite, which I imagine is bigger than the standard. It is two story room with the bed in the top loft with shower, toilet, basin and couch downstairs. This setup works well as you can come home from a hot hectic day relax downstairs and when ready climb upstairs and fall asleep in an almost a different room.
There are some negative reviews about price and breakfast not being included. It was clear to us from our booking that breakfast was never included and as with most things in Singapore, the 17% tax is additional to the price. So if you were to read the small print properly these things should not have been a surprise to you. If your booking receipt is ambiguous (such as one reviewer had with Agoda) then the negative review should be against Agoda and not the hotel. This being said, the hotel was not cheap, but neither is Singapore and I was quite happy that I got what I paid for.
I had one negative point - wifi is not free at many hotels in Singapore and the wifi here was free, but I have an iphone and an ipad and got very poor connections to the free wifi for both of them and most often the ipad never connected.

1  Thank toro987
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The studio room I booked was a bit small even the washroom and toilet were like literally in a shoe box. However the staff are very pleasant and friendly. The hallway is very dark nice carpet though.. Clean room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My boy friend and i booked Studio M hotel Singapore via Agoda for the night 12 sept 2012. Due to our flight lateness, we have informed Agoda to move our booking to 13 sept 2012 in stead. It took us until 4pm 13 sept 2012 to get the amendment confirmed. When we arrived, the mini bar was empty, wifi didn't work for the whole time we were there. When my boyfriend asked for the electric adapter, we were asked for deposite of the adaptor. the breakfast included for two pax was indicated on the hotel booking. However, when we were at the restaurant for breakfast, the waitress told us that the breakfast is not included. If we would like the breakfast, she will charge us and the pay can be done by cash or credit card. Otherwise, we had to check with receiption ourself.
The price on Agoda is 200 sgd +, after booking fee and other fees, we paid 300 sgd+ which is worth a 5 stars hotel room. The room was super small and the customer service is super poor. In stead of checking with her colleagues about our breakfast, the waitress asked us to check ourself... That is not called customer service or coutersy at all. I wander if all the awards that they have won is trustable or it is cheating customer

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The title above was my first reaction when I entered the room. The modern loft-like design of the room was a pleasant surprise and highly cosmopolitan (think Sex and the City) ladies would probably love to have it as a real loft. However, the space was too cramped and tiny that I wondered how men or bigger-sized people would fit.

Pros: Very comfortable beds, mini-kitchen with the usual water heater and coffee/tea, towels and bathrobes, 'yellowish' lighting and modern fixtures, walking distance to great restaurants and cafes (Robertson walk), stylish and cosmo vibe

Cons: Not enough space for big luggage, toilet space was TOO small, shower area reminded me of a sauna (with the tiled bench layout), not recommended for families or big groups

Overall, I liked my stay here because of the uniqueness of the place, although I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We spend 3 nights on a combined business and holiday trip on this hotel with nice and clean hotel. Staff was very friendly and rooms were nice, clean and compact. We liked the room layout as it was luft style. 2nd floor was bit scary since we have 3 kids constantly climbing up and down, but otherwise everything was there. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers as the location is very good and you have everything needed within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is in a decent location close to the waterfront (Robertson Quay) and Clarke Quay, to which we strolled for evening meals and drinks. The nearest metro station is Clarke Quay which is around 10 minutes walking time away.

The location is quiet, away from any traffic noise but the smell of the room was, frankly unbelievable. I have stayed in so many hotels (split between business and leisure) in my life that I have lost count, but the smell that confronted us with the room with which we were allocated has never been equalled. A mouldy, rotten smell that had us practically gagging. To have allocated that room (a premier loft) to human beings was a disgrace. Farm animals may have been disappointed.

Studio M staff should be ashamed of themselves. 4 for the location and room layout, 1 for the smell, equals 2.5 which I have rounded up to 3 (count yourselves lucky).

Room Tip: ask if you can smell it first.