“Very European - small, decent - not spectacular”
Review of Studio M Hotel

Studio M Hotel
Ranked #122 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very European - small, decent - not spectacular”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Nice hotel, small - not a big fan of two floor room, as bed was upstairs and constrained. Rooms are very European in size = small. Decent location - but quite honestly overpriced for what they offer - shifted the next three days to Conrad Singapore and admittedly - comparing a lexus to a high end volkswagen....but the lexus is worth the extra 40-80 USD per night.

Breakfast was very positive - get this in your rate - it was quite tasty and well coordinated.

Room Tip: While my review was not influenced significantly by our specific room....I will tell you to check it...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Travelling to Singapore regualarly for over five years, I was very relaxed leaving Australia. Arriving late on sunday night, I had realised that while I was in the Qantas Lounge, I had left the keys to the lock on my suitcase at home. I rang ahead to the hotel and didn't know how I would fare as I had never stayed at this hotel before. Upon arrival at approximately 11:30pm, they raised my issue with me and dispatched an extremely helpful technician with his tools turned out in overalls really looking the part. He had an enourmous set of bolt cutters and was overjoyed when he swiftly removed the padlock and I could access my suitcase. I was sorry that I did not have any Singaporean currency (left it at home as well!) I would have gladly tipped him.

I was impressed with the hotels design and construction, it is only a couple of years old and well maintained, I thought it had a very interesting design and execution. The loft rooms a bit of fun, the bed was very comfortable and had a massive desk. The WC and shower are in seperate little rooms, cupboards almost. I had experienced similar at Wanderlust in Little India Singapore. The main criticism I would have is that the lower floor (entry level) is carpeted, unlike Wanderlust which was tiled, so if water leaks out of the shower are, or if you step out wet, you wet the carpet.

So a small thing really, I felt the ammenities were great. Breakfast was outdoor, undercover on the large deck with the pool and ponds, with great little lounge areas for groups, I thought it was all very funky and was much more interesting than staying at one of the older hotels in the area.

The price represented excellent value in my mind. The location at Robinson Quay is excellent for the frequent visitor who enjoys the variety and quality of dining options of the river district. I only stayed briefly for work, and look forward to staying longer at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 6, 2011

When I checked in, the executive loft they set me up with had an faulty air conditioner, and the maintenance staff was working in the room when I went up, so I requested another room. After waiting about 20 minutes, the front desk staff then assigned the room next door, an executive loft to me, but it had the most terrible stench of body odor and sweat. The next executive loft was in terrible shape; the woodwork was all chipped and peeling, while the carpet was filthy and stained. After complaining to the duty manager about these issues, I was again moved after another half hour to a corner loft, which was cleaner, but the wall next to the bed had this giant red stain with mold growing all over.

At this point, I had enough, and told the duty manager to take care of this issue or I'd be reporting the hotel for failing to meet proper health standards, but only after an hour or so of dealing with their staff and viewing 3 other equally dismal rooms was I moved to their "Patio" loft, where I am currently writing this review. Unfortunately, it is raining and I will not be enjoying any of the patio, at the same time, the air conditioner isn't quite working well but at this point I could care less as long as the room is clean.

My advice to others would be to avoid this hotel and stay in either the new Oasia Hotel or the Scarlet Hotel. The staff here were all very polite and understanding but the overall standards of the facilities are not worth the cost. Rooms are filthy and poorly maintained, although the building looks very new & modern at first glance. Location is good if you enjoy wining & dining (Robertson Quay has some of the most chic bars & restaurants in Singapore), but to me, I'd rather have my additional 2 hours back.

Room Tip: Insist on a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MQX
StudioMHotel, General Manager at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

The Management regrets that our attempts offered were unable to meet your expectations. We would like to assure that we will review and implement necessary improvements where possible.

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2011

The hotels location is ok, relatively central. From Changi airport you can take the subway to City Hall or Clarke Quay and get a taxi from there to the Studio M. It's a taxi ride or subway trip to most places across the city.

Check-in and Check-out were pretty seemless being that it was not busy.
Having arrived at about 9am we were glad that a room was made available to us considering we were checking in early.

We stayed in a premium loft for 4 nights and liked the style of the room on the split level although it was a little strange walking across the desk in order to open and close the curtain. Similar to other guests, our room smelt damp. We only noticed it when we came back from a day out. It was not unbearable.

I'd probably recommend this hotel because of it's location and price in comparison to others.

Room Tip: Go for a premium loft if you can afford it, if only to have a larger room if you are staying for mor...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Studio M is a smaller, cheaper version of M Hotel with a unique twist of having trendy loft style rooms. It is located near the banks of the Singapore river next to Robertson Quay. The location is pretty central and there are lots of restaurants nearby which cater to the tourist and expat crowd. My partner and I picked this hotel because the rooms looked cool and modern on the website and because it was reasonably located and priced at $$250 per night.

The hotel has a lot of problems however:

The rooms are poorly built and maintained. Modern and trendy yes but also cheap, poorly maintained and just not practical for a hotel room.

Our room smelt of mould and damp because the shower is a very small enclosed room with poor ventilation. Every time we returned to our room is had a bad smell because of this. You can clearly see lots of mould growing on the walls of the shower, but they make no attempt to clean this.

There is no private area to get dressed as there is no normal type bathroom in this hotel. The shower and toilet are two tiny cubicle like rooms either side of the entry door. Even the wash basin is located in the living area opposite the desk, chair, etc.

So when getting dressed you must do so in the living area, and you may have to do so in full view of your neighbors, since the hotel is built in a "H" type floor plan.

The internet is painfully slow, there is one wireless router for all guests to log onto. I called reception and asked them if I could do anything to get a faster connection. The staff mentioned that they knew it was slow and said it was because everybody was online.... so they offered to bring an ethernet cable to the room which gave no improvement to connection speed at all.

You need to be nimble to get to bed. If you are older, have some mobility problems or an injury of any type that prevents you from climbing up small winding tight stairs, avoid this hotel. The bed is located atop these stairs in a mezzanine type landing, the bed is queen size, lots of headroom on one side but one half of the bed was under a pillar in our room, meaning one person has about max 1 meter headroom.

TV is located updaters in the sleeping area so you must be in bed to watch it. You are not allowed to watch TV in the living area ;-) must go to bed first!

If you are in Singapore on business and it's raining and you have to be at work on time in the morning, get downstairs 1 hour earlier than you normally would. This morning lots of people were waiting over 1 hour for a taxi, some people had a sense of humor failure, there was plenty of shouting going on at the hotel staff for their inability of organize taxi's.
Sure it's harder to get a taxi when it's raining but all good hotels have a decent relationship with the taxi booking office and are able to get cabs in a reasonable time, thankfully I didn't have an appointment this morning...
Later in the morning when I came back from a run, the hotel staff were telling a taxi who was waiting for a fare outside to leave! It was still raining, no wonder they are back off the queue..

There are very limited food and beverage options at this hotel. A coffee shop with a limited menu, a average restaurant that is open for dinner, no bar or entertainment available.

There is a 25m lap pool. Lap pool means it is very narrow.

There is a small gym with 5-6 items.

Service is OK and staff are friendly enough although they are poorly trained. They make plenty of mistakes with orders and it's all down to lack of training and management.

It seems to me that there are 3 major issues with this hotel:

1. Poor design layout of the rooms.
2. Lack of decent facilities.
3. Poor management of the hotel and staff.

At the time of writing this review, the hotel ranked 85th in Singapore, which I guess is about right. I didn't have a terrible experience, no major issues, but I won't be coming back again.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brendan D
Dear Valued Guest

The Management regrets to learn of your experience and assures that guests experience and comfort are important. Immediate steps are usually taken as soon as guests concerns are raised to our attention during their stay.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your feedback as improvements are being scrutinized and implemented accordingly.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Great place for short business stays. I stayed in a premium loft. This has the bed on a mezzanine level. The disadvantage is you can only watch TV in bed and then you leave it on with the remote controler upstairs so have to climb to switch off. Everything is small and compact so a week is maximum for single occupancy only. Toilet, shower, both separate and very small. I didn't like the basin being in the main room and looking like a kitchenette! Also you only get a rail for your clothes, no wardrobe. Otherwise clean modern and pleasant. Breakfast is outside so a bit warm and humid but nice restaurant near nice pool. The cooked breakfast itself was average to poor and inconsistantly so. Nice area.

Room Tip: I believe the difference between premium loft and standard loft is premium has the bed on the mezzan...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Im surprised to check in into this hotel last week. Extremely clean and lavish rooms. Nice service as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family