Santa Grand Hotel Bugis
Ranked #128 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed 2 nights here in October last year when the whole Singapore was full and we couldn't find a hotel in our price range in the city.

Location is quite far outside but the hotel is quite close to Bugis MRT with only 5 mins walk and 10 mins to a shopping mall. Our room was on the upper floor and it was ok, clean and large, big window. Breakfast was ok compared to the price.

Overall, this hotel is no so bad if you are looking a budget hotel with easy access to MRT.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DarlingMayMay
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed February 28, 2012

We arrived late, the service at reception was ok. We booked online so didn't have a printed voucher. This took abit of time to download and work out with the receptionist. Our room was very small. There was a dirty towel lying on the bedroom floor and there was building debris (paint chips etc) over the floor. The ensuite had no handsoap nor face washer......just towels. After just been to Cambodia and Vietnam where this amenity was the norm in all of our accommodation it surprised me that this was not provided in Singapore! In the morning, we were awoken by cleaning staff talking loudly and laughing in the corridor. Breakfast was poor. Breakfast staff unhelpful. This hotel was in a good spot...close to Bugis St markets etc...but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Felicity H
Reviewed February 21, 2012

rooms are well furnished.... nice bathroom ...clean and tidy. theres a rooftop pool from where the city looks beautiful. the breakfast was not good with very limited options. the second building doesnt have any elevator. didnt like the staff somehow.

Room Tip: take room in the main building as the second building doesnt have any elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights last year during the Singapore Grand Prix. When booking we had not realised it was the weekend, and so were a little surprised to have such difficulty finding somewhere to stay.

We did not get off to the best of starts with the receptionist who insisted on seeing our printed voucher from the website confirming our booking. Why they could not just confirm with the company I do not understand, but we had to go throught he process of forwarding on our confirmation to the hotel for their records. Whilst a small point, this is really not what you want when you have booked in advance and arrived from the airport.

The hotel rooms are small, but very clean - very much reminded me of a business hotel, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The rooftop pool is TINY, with two/three deckchairs and no space for anyone else.

The breakfast included was a little odd - buffet style with the usual selection of baked beans and fried noodles. What I found strange was the sign that stated you would be charged $0.50 per gram of food wasted. I didn't see anyone actually weighing the wasted food, and whilst I think the right intentions are there, the sign left a bad taste in my mouth.

The hotel is 10 mins from the Bugis metro station which is a great location, providing quick access to a lot of the Singapore sights.

In a city with expensive accomodation, this hotel was fine - it was clean, comfortable and safe which is all I really ask for. However, if i were to return and it wasn't the grand prix weekend, I would research to see whether there were any better alternatives.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VonGregson
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights with my partner in one of the superior queen rooms at $170 SGD per night. We booked directly through the hotel as we found the price better than prices offered at other websites. I also wanted to get a room which wasn't in the basement, and thankfully we got a lovely room on the 2nd floor with a big window.

Whilst the room is small, this is not unusual for Singapore. Importantly, the window seat helped create a bit more space to sit and relax. We also got a bath tub in our room which I really liked. The furnishings were contemporary and there was free and fast wifi. Our rooms were cleaned every day and they included complimentary local phone calls and bottled water. Overall I had no complaints whatsoever. Free transfer to the airport was included as well. I found the staff friendly, honest and efficient. I would definitely recommend ths place.

Note the hotel is about 10 min walk from Bugis MRT. It is close to good shopping in Haji Lane and Bugis junction, and there is lots of eating and nightlife in the Arab St area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinuvielSydney
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Overall my stays was really pleasant. As we encounter rude hotel staff (esp. bell man & housekeeper) were not friendly and helpful. The room assign to was very bad. Basement with loud noisy from the moving vehicle on the roads.

Overall, I felt that such a reputable chain hotel with more than three star rating. I really got doubt?

Room Tip: No comments
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sglaieddie
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Rooms and rest room are very clean and good. also the food is tasty. we stayed there for 4 nights and we always required to call the housekeeping to clean our room, overall in 4 days our room was cleaned only twice.
the housekeeping wont even listen to our request to clean the room and would argue and try to produce the proofs that they cleaned the rooms.
overall it was a mixed experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple